    plus symbol next to each item, some of the info makes sense, some doesn't.
    Again I could Google for each item in turn, but I'd like a program that
    lists the whole lot in one go & gives a simple explanation for each item.
    Big Stupid Face, Feb 15, 2007

  2. Big Stupid Face

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Big Stupid Face" <> wrote:

    >Is there a program I can download & install that will tell me what the
    >following on my PC (Win XP) actually means:
    >
    >1) What are all the following processes actually doing?: Ctrl+Alt+Del/Task
    >Manager/Processes tab.
    >They all have incomprehensible names (well incomprehensible to me anyway) &
    >I'd like to know in *plain English* what each process actually does.
    >Yes I know I can Google for each process in turn, but that's a ball-ache,
    >since there's so many processes running, and in any case I want *plain
    >English* explanations, not technical ones.

    See
    http://web.archive.org/web/20041128084144/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    for a list of the full names for these processes

    >2) Control Panel/System/Hardware tab/Device Manager: when I click on the
    >plus symbol next to each item, some of the info makes sense, some doesn't.
    >Again I could Google for each item in turn, but I'd like a program that
    >lists the whole lot in one go & gives a simple explanation for each item.

    The category names should tell you the purpose of each item, and this
    plus the detail names are about as good as you are going to get
    without googling.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Feb 15, 2007

  3. Big Stupid Face

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Big - This may help you also. From my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy
    below in my Signature:

    "Note that sometimes you need to make a judgement call about what the
    programs below report as spyware. See here, for example:
    http://www.imilly.com/alexa.htm They can also sometimes generate "false
    positives" so look carefully before you delete things. There's a good list
    of categorized "unknown, safe, optional, spyware/adware, virus" programs to
    check against here: http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/SWList.asp Some
    additional very useful lists are available here:
    http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html (Recommended) and here:
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/browse.php (Recommended), and here:
    http://www.computer-support.nl/Computerhulp/taken.htm and here:
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm and here:
    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html and here:
    http://startup.networktechs.com/ There are online tests of possible malware
    components available here: http://virusscan.jotti.org/ and here:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner"

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MVP, DTS, ASVOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine,

    In news:,
    Big Stupid Face <> typed:
    Jim Byrd, Feb 15, 2007
  4. Big Stupid Face

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:14:14 -0000, Big Stupid Face wrote:

    >Is there a program I can download & install that will tell me what the
    >following on my PC (Win XP) actually means:
    >
    >1) What are all the following processes actually doing?: Ctrl+Alt+Del/Task
    >Manager/Processes tab.

    Take the time and learn.

    Try www.google.com for process listings rather than 1 at a time.

    http://www.gla.ac.uk:443/cert/guides/processes_xp.shtml
    http://www.tasklist.org/

    >They all have incomprehensible names (well incomprehensible to me anyway) &

    Control Panel / Services / Admin. Tools / Services
    English name /and Description , will give the path to execuatable for
    right click / properties.

    >I'd like to know in *plain English* what each process actually does.
    >Yes I know I can Google for each process in turn, but that's a ball-ache,
    >since there's so many processes running, and in any case I want *plain
    >English* explanations, not technical ones.

    You do know, XP is a Microsoft product?

    Search 24HSHD for old posts, the oftem mentioned eldergeek site
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    Maybe,
    Easily identify services running inside Windows XP's processes
    When you're troubleshooting in Windows XP, you can spend a lot of time
    deciphering the often cryptic names of the programs and processes
    running on a system ...
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-5915743.html - 68k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-5915743.html
    Most Windows XP admins start their troubleshooting process by launching
    Windows Task Manager and selecting the Processes tab in order to gather
    information about the programs and processes that are currently running
    on a system. While some of the running processes are easy to identify
    (especially if they directly represent an application), other processes
    can be puzzling to identify (especially if they represent services).

    Then there is the Microsoft MSDN and Technet websites.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Feb 15, 2007
  5. Big Stupid Face

    ellis_jay Guest

    Big Stupid Face wrote:
    > Is there a program I can download & install that will tell me what the
    > following on my PC (Win XP) actually means:
    >
    > 1) What are all the following processes actually doing?:
    > Ctrl+Alt+Del/Task Manager/Processes tab.
    > They all have incomprehensible names

    Nice and free....
    http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/main.aspx

    http://www.processlibrary.com/about/

    lotsof info>>>> http://www.pchell.com/

    fyi>>>> http://www.dynamiclink.nl/

    http://startup.networktechs.com/srch-___r.exe.html?search=___r.exe

    http://www.castlecops.com/

    http://www.jiffcom.com/tasklist/task_lista.htm

    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/allprocesses/

    --

    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Feb 16, 2007
  6. Big Stupid Face

    DemoDisk Guest

    "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote...

    > Search 24HSHD for old posts, the oftem mentioned eldergeek site
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    Thanks for the link; it looks like a great site. Is there also a place
    online for those still using Win98?

    JM
    DemoDisk, Feb 18, 2007
  7. Big Stupid Face

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 23:09:22 -0600, DemoDisk wrote:

    >"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote...
    >
    >> Search 24HSHD for old posts, the oftem mentioned eldergeek site
    >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    >Thanks for the link; it looks like a great site. Is there also a place
    >online for those still using Win98?

    Never used Win98, try www.google.com

    Me
    why?, Feb 18, 2007