What does this error mean? Does somebody intrude then force me to restart my PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Kelvin @ SG, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Kelvin @ SG

    Kelvin @ SG Guest

    Hi, there:

    I used to screen lock my NT 4 machine when I leave work, with my unfinished
    work running.

    Today when I arrive at office I see this error, see attachment. Basically it
    reads "There was an
    internal error and one of the windows you were using has been closed. It is
    recomended that you
    save your work and close all programs, and then restart your computer."
    Basically I suspected
    somebody might have installed bogus programs on the PC but he can't restart
    the PC without
    getting caught by me since I have technical applications running...

    Can anybody suggest me how I could detect if there is any activities behind?

    Thanks for your advice.

    Melvin
    Kelvin @ SG, Feb 5, 2004

  2. In article <402196e0$>,
    says...
    > Hi, there:
    >
    > I used to screen lock my NT 4 machine when I leave work, with my unfinished
    > work running.
    >
    > Today when I arrive at office I see this error, see attachment. Basically it
    > reads "There was an
    > internal error and one of the windows you were using has been closed. It is
    > recomended that you
    > save your work and close all programs, and then restart your computer."
    > Basically I suspected
    > somebody might have installed bogus programs on the PC but he can't restart
    > the PC without
    > getting caught by me since I have technical applications running...
    >
    > Can anybody suggest me how I could detect if there is any activities behind?
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.
    >
    > Melvin

    Since you're at work, on an NT machine, and considering your level of
    experience exhibited in this post, I would contact the system
    administrator for your company and have them look into this, that's what
    they get paid for.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."
    Colonel Flagg, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Well stated !

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Kelvin @ SG

    Alan Walker Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > Well stated !
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote
    > in message news:...
    >
    >> Since you're at work, on an NT machine, and considering your level of
    >> experience exhibited in this post, I would contact the system
    >> administrator for your company and have them look into this, that's
    >> what they get paid for.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Colonel Flagg
    >> http://www.internetwarzone.org/
    >>
    >> Privacy at a click:
    >> http://www.cotse.net
    >>
    >> Q: How many Bill Gates does it take to change a lightbulb?
    >> A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."
    >>
    >> "...I see stupid people."

    I'd agree with the suggested action though I suspect something like a
    network error or problems with backup running overnight etc as the most
    likely cause/

    --

    Alan
    Alan Walker, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Kelvin @ SG

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "Kelvin @ SG" said in news:402196e0$:
    > Hi, there:
    >
    > I used to screen lock my NT 4 machine when I leave work, with my
    > unfinished work running.
    >
    > Today when I arrive at office I see this error, see attachment.
    > Basically it reads "There was an
    > internal error and one of the windows you were using has been closed.
    > It is recomended that you
    > save your work and close all programs, and then restart your
    > computer." Basically I suspected
    > somebody might have installed bogus programs on the PC but he can't
    > restart the PC without
    > getting caught by me since I have technical applications running...
    >
    > Can anybody suggest me how I could detect if there is any activities
    > behind?
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.
    >
    > Melvin

    Nothing listed in the Event Viewer logs, especially under the Applications
    log?

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***
    *Vanguard*, Feb 6, 2004