    so much on this NG?

    Thanks
    Len
    Len, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Len

    AntiTrust Guest

    Len,

    If I am correct in my assumption, RAW is the native format that your camera
    will save images in. Like it, has no compression or anything fancy done at
    it.

    The downside to it is the sizes involved. I have a Minolta Dimage A1 and the
    RAW filesizes can be 14MB+. They can also take a while to write to your
    memory card. Another potential with them is that they normally require
    native software (usually bundled with your camera however) to read them.

    I hope this is accurate enough and clarifies the term sufficiently.

    regards
    AT
    "Len" <> wrote in message
    > This is where I feel silly asking but what is the term RAW I see being

    used

    AntiTrust, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Len

    Ed E. Guest

    In general terms, it's a lossless, proprietary image format. You usually
    have to run it through a decoder to get it to a usable format. Many
    versions also allow exposure correction and other features that don't exist
    in a processed file such as TIFF or JPEG.
    Ed E., Nov 18, 2003
  4. "Len" <> wrote in message
    > This is where I feel silly asking but what is the term RAW I see being

    used
    > so much on this NG?

    In general it means unprocessed data as captured by the CCD/CMOS sensor.

    Some cameras allow users to do their own postprocessing, other cameras
    immediately convert it to processed (demosaic, gamma correction,
    colorbalance, etc.) JPEG or TIFF file formats ready to view. Post processing
    by the user allows more control over the conversion and may result in better
    images.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Len

    Phil Guest

    Interesting that is is RAW vs. Raw. Almost like an acronym for R* A*
    W*, whatever that might be.

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Len

    Phil Guest

    Phil, Nov 18, 2003
  7. Len

    Charlie Ih Guest

    RAW means uncooked or unprocessed. If you know something about the
    structure of the most common photo sensor (CCD or CMOS), this becomes
    obvious. A 4 MP sensor has 2 MP in "green" and 1 MP each in "red" and
    "blue". This original 2-D array data recorded by your digital camera
    is then processed into a "color picture" (in standard jpg or tiff
    format which can be read by most softwares) with 4 MP in luminance
    pixels (sort of B/W pixels) and about 1 MP "true" color pixels.
    So the RAW means the file for the original unprocessed 2-D array
    data which is diffenent for each camera.

    The reduced color representation is a common practice to reduce
    file size and/or information bandwidth. The color TV is presented
    in similar fashion. For human observations, this is more
    than adequate. I hope this will help some. Good luck.

    --
    Charles S. Ih
    302-831-8173, FAX 302-831-4316
    Charlie Ih, Nov 18, 2003
  8. "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > Interesting that is is RAW vs. Raw. Almost like an acronym for R* A*
    > W*, whatever that might be.

    If it stands for "Really Awful White-balance", I think we know who pioneered
    the technology. ;-)
    Jeff Zawrotny, Nov 18, 2003
  9. Len

    Len Guest

    Thanks for the range of fast replies and after reading info will steer well
    clear for the present.

    Len

    Len, Nov 18, 2003
  10. Len

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Phil wrote:

    > Interesting that is is RAW vs. Raw. Almost like an acronym for R* A*
    > W*, whatever that might be.

    Yes.. I've always thought about this.. raw is a word.. But RAW should be an
    acronym... Like JPEG or TIFF.

    As far as I can see, RAW is the raw data from the sensor. It's unprocessed
    information, so the dictionary definition of 'raw' can apply.
    Jim Townsend, Nov 18, 2003
  11. On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:21:40 +0000, AntiTrust wrote:

    > Len,
    >
    > If I am correct in my assumption, RAW is the native format that your
    > camera will save images in. Like it, has no compression or anything fancy
    > done at it.

    RAW files are often compressed. Canon uses Huffman compression on their
    CRW files - it's lossless, but they are still compressed.

    Mike.
    Mike Brodbelt, Nov 18, 2003
  12. Len

    Phil Guest

    That's good, Jeff :)

    Phil, Nov 18, 2003
  13. Len

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "Len"

    >This is where I feel silly asking but what is the term RAW I see being used
    >so much on this NG?

    As you probably suspect, RAW means "naked." I'll admit that the first time I
    read that shooting in RAW mode produced better photos I was a bit skeptical.
    But now I always shoot in RAW mode.

    Sure, it was a bit uncomfortable at first and took some getting used to. But I
    can attribute many of my great cheerleader pics like this one to shooting in
    RAW mode.

    http://members.aol.com/annika1980/rawcheer.jpg

    Of course, there are drawbacks. Shooting in RAW mode doesn't work as well in
    very cold weather, especially with the cheerleader shots. And after a long
    photo shoot, I'll be hoarse from having to say, "Look at the camera!" a
    thousand times.

    Here's another I shot in RAW mode:
    http://members.aol.com/annika1980/rocky.jpg

    Hope this helps.
    Happy shooting!
    Annika1980, Nov 18, 2003
  14. (Annika1980) wrote in

    > Sure, it was a bit uncomfortable at first and took some getting
    > used to. But I can attribute many of my great cheerleader pics
    > like this one to shooting in RAW mode.
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/annika1980/rawcheer.jpg

    Gee, why are they all laughing?
    Mike Latondresse, Nov 18, 2003
  15. Len

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Mike Latondresse mikelat@no_spamshaw.ca

    >> Sure, it was a bit uncomfortable at first and took some getting
    >> used to. But I can attribute many of my great cheerleader pics
    >> like this one to shooting in RAW mode.
    >>
    >> http://members.aol.com/annika1980/rawcheer.jpg
    >>

    >Gee, why are they all laughing?

    Boy, nothing gets by you, does it?
    Annika1980, Nov 19, 2003
  16. Len

    Dr. J. Smith Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > >From: Mike Latondresse mikelat@no_spamshaw.ca

    > >> Sure, it was a bit uncomfortable at first and took some getting
    > >> used to. But I can attribute many of my great cheerleader pics
    > >> like this one to shooting in RAW mode.
    > >>
    > >> http://members.aol.com/annika1980/rawcheer.jpg
    > >>

    > >Gee, why are they all laughing?

    > Boy, nothing gets by you, does it?

    So I guess you're not that guy they call "Tripod" then?
    Dr. J. Smith, Nov 19, 2003
  17. Len

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Len wrote:

    > This is where I feel silly asking but what is the term RAW I see
    > being used so much on this NG?

    When you buy meat at the supermarket that hasn't been
    cooked and processed, it's RAW... Actually some manufacturers
    call the "formatless format" something else. Nikon, for example,
    calls it "NEF" (Nikon Exchange File.)
    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 19, 2003
  18. Len

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Phil wrote:

    > Interesting that is is RAW vs. Raw. Almost like an acronym for R* A*
    > W*, whatever that might be.

    Received (in the sensor) And Written (on the CF card)? :)
    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 19, 2003
  19. Len

    Guest

    In message <Xns943793879F798shawca@24.69.255.211>,
    Mike Latondresse <mikelat@no_spamshaw.ca> wrote:

    > (Annika1980) wrote in
    >
    >> Sure, it was a bit uncomfortable at first and took some getting
    >> used to. But I can attribute many of my great cheerleader pics
    >> like this one to shooting in RAW mode.
    >>
    >> http://members.aol.com/annika1980/rawcheer.jpg
    >>

    >Gee, why are they all laughing?

    Because he was just like the dog.