    removing iMesh take care of it or do I need to do the similar procedure
    as with Kaza. Does anyone know what informations this program is
    sharing? Is this legal? Or unethical?
    Jay, Sep 4, 2004

  2. In article <>, on Sat, 04 Sep 2004 15:41:59 -0400, Jay
    <> wrote:

    | Hello,
    | My daughter downloaded and installed "iMesh" on her MS XP computer.
    | Norton AV marked "Adware" program but could not deleted them.
    | It looks a lot like "Kaza" of the past. How can I remove it. Will
    | removing iMesh take care of it or do I need to do the similar procedure
    | as with Kaza. Does anyone know what informations this program is
    | sharing? Is this legal? Or unethical?

    Try using google next time.

    <http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=iMesh+>

    Led me to the following links via the first page of results...

    <http://www.imesh.com/privacy_policy.shtml>
    <http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/I/iMesh.asp#Risks>

    <davidp />

    --
    David Postill
    David Postill, Sep 4, 2004

  3. Jay

    Martin Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > Hello,
    > My daughter downloaded and installed "iMesh" on her MS XP computer.

    why? What was this software going to do for her?

    > Norton AV marked "Adware" program but could not deleted them.

    At least you know the dangers now.

    If it's your daughters PC why are you here posting? If it's yours then
    why were you not here yesterday asking how to secure it to prevent her
    installing software on your prestine machine?

    > It looks a lot like "Kaza" of the past.

    Did you <cough> she read the licence agreement?

    > How can I remove it.

    Did you/she try Uninstall? If not, why not? If you did what happened?

    > Will
    > removing iMesh take care of it or do I need to do the similar procedure
    > as with Kaza. Does anyone know what informations this program is
    > sharing?

    what does your firewall say?

    > Is this legal?

    legal in what country?

    Or unethical?

    is file sharing ethical or even legal?

    Come on, you know the answers to these questions. Do a clean install of
    your operating system and don't install unlicensed software, ever.

    I despair at times. I'm in a tetchy mood tonight, and maybe you don't
    deserve it, but what on earth do you think is going to happen when you
    install unknown software, that is going to download unknown software,
    and THEN you come and ask what the potential problems are.

    Why not come here and ask BEFORE you start installing crapware?

    Martin, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Don't know what to say. It's my daughter's computer on our family net
    that her friend had her download etc. Got rid of iMesh but found a lot
    more "other stuff" to get rid of. Yes, installing unknown programs can
    reek havoc. Won't waste your time just posted to get the answer "free".
    lol thanks for your inputs.

    Jay, Sep 5, 2004
  5. Jay

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:10:22 -0400, Jay <> wrote:

    >Don't know what to say. It's my daughter's computer on our family net
    >that her friend had her download etc. Got rid of iMesh but found a lot
    >more "other stuff" to get rid of. Yes, installing unknown programs can
    >reek havoc. Won't waste your time just posted to get the answer "free".
    >lol thanks for your inputs.

    Tell your daughter that if she is offered free toolbars, cursors
    search assistants, time synchronisers and anything whilst
    using the Internet to 'just say no' and save yourself and everyone
    else a lot of time.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Sep 5, 2004
  6. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Last psot on this thread:
    Good way to put it to my daughter! Will pass it on!
    Thanks Jim and All

    Jay, Sep 5, 2004
  7. "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > Don't know what to say. It's my daughter's computer on our family net
    > that her friend had her download etc. Got rid of iMesh but found a lot
    > more "other stuff" to get rid of. Yes, installing unknown programs can
    > reek havoc. Won't waste your time just posted to get the answer "free".
    > lol thanks for your inputs.
    >

    > Martin wrote:
    > > Jay wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello,
    > >> My daughter downloaded and installed "iMesh" on her MS XP computer.

    > > why? What was this software going to do for her?
    > >
    > >> Norton AV marked "Adware" program but could not deleted them.

    > > At least you know the dangers now.
    > >
    > > If it's your daughters PC why are you here posting? If it's yours then
    > > why were you not here yesterday asking how to secure it to prevent her
    > > installing software on your prestine machine?
    > >
    > >> It looks a lot like "Kaza" of the past.

    > > Did you <cough> she read the licence agreement?
    > >
    > >> How can I remove it.

    > > Did you/she try Uninstall? If not, why not? If you did what happened?
    > >
    > >> Will removing iMesh take care of it or do I need to do the similar
    > >> procedure as with Kaza. Does anyone know what informations this
    > >> program is sharing?

    > > what does your firewall say?
    > >
    > >> Is this legal?

    > > legal in what country?
    > >
    > > Or unethical?
    > >
    > > is file sharing ethical or even legal?
    > >
    > > Come on, you know the answers to these questions. Do a clean install of
    > > your operating system and don't install unlicensed software, ever.
    > >
    > > I despair at times. I'm in a tetchy mood tonight, and maybe you don't
    > > deserve it, but what on earth do you think is going to happen when you
    > > install unknown software, that is going to download unknown software,
    > > and THEN you come and ask what the potential problems are.
    > >
    > > Why not come here and ask BEFORE you start installing crapware?

    Don't worry about Martin, he seems to be a rather pretentious know-it-all.
    There are plenty of people in Usenet who are willing to give advice for
    free.
    Richard R. Field, Sep 6, 2004
  8. Jay

    David Norris Guest

    Jay wrote:

    > Hello,
    > My daughter downloaded and installed "iMesh" on her MS XP computer.
    > Norton AV marked "Adware" program but could not deleted them.
    > It looks a lot like "Kaza" of the past. How can I remove it. Will
    > removing iMesh take care of it or do I need to do the similar procedure
    > as with Kaza. Does anyone know what informations this program is
    > sharing? Is this legal? Or unethical?

    One problem is that many spyware programs automatically re-launch if you
    terminate them. And this prevents the file being removed, since it's marked
    as 'in use'.
    My trick is to do the following:

    Right click on the directory it's in (usually in program files), and select
    security. Then, deny the current user (yourself) access to the directory.
    Then: log out and in again. Ignore any complaints that the program cannot be
    started (since access to the directory is denied!). Then, change the 'no
    access' permission on the directory to full access. You can now delete the
    entire directory and all the crap in it.
    If the program was installed as an administrator, this proceedure will
    probably need administrative priviledges. However, if the program could be
    (and was) installed as a power user, then the same power user can normally
    carry out the above proceedure.

    Incidentally, why, for example do people use Kazzaa when Kazzaa lite
    (spyware free) is available.
    DN
    David Norris, Sep 12, 2004