What does 110 frames at 10fps sound like?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark², Feb 25, 2007.

  1. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Mark², Feb 25, 2007

  2. Mark²

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Paul Rubin, Feb 25, 2007

  3. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:
    >> About 35 seconds long...
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoh2hCEZTE&mode=related&search=

    > Er, why isn't it 11 seconds long?

    There's some cheezy music at the beginning... Plus...it seems to go farther
    than 110, so maybe they were shooting in a smaller jpeg size. ??

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Feb 25, 2007
  4. Mark²

    ASAAR Guest

    On 24 Feb 2007 23:24:33 -0800, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    >> About 35 seconds long...
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoh2hCEZTE&mode=related&search=

    > Er, why isn't it 11 seconds long?

    They used a bargain flash card bought from eBay. <g>

    . . .

    Ok, even if the camera is doing its own buffering, we can't be too
    literal here, and need a bit of what is sometimes called the
    "willful suspension of disbelief" to get it. :)

    ASAAR, Feb 25, 2007
  5. Mark²

    Alan Browne Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > About 35 seconds long...
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoh2hCEZTE&mode=related&search=

    A couple years ago somebody posted a link to a "film" made in continuous
    shooting with a (IIRC) 20D. The film lasted about 5 (10?) minutes. The
    film (IIRC again) was a film are student essay. Fascinating to a point,
    but got old quick enough.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Feb 25, 2007
  6. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> About 35 seconds long...
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoh2hCEZTE&mode=related&search=

    > A couple years ago somebody posted a link to a "film" made in
    > continuous shooting with a (IIRC) 20D. The film lasted about 5 (10?)
    > minutes. The film (IIRC again) was a film are student essay. Fascinating
    > to a point, but got old quick enough.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    Ya, I remember that. It was interesting...

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Feb 25, 2007
  7. Mark²

    TJWilson Guest

    .....excuse me while I get a towel and clean up.

    In the immortal words of Tim the 'Tool Man' Taylor.... uh, uh, uh,
    ooooooo!

    TJWilson, Feb 25, 2007
  8. Mark²

    George Kerby Guest

    George Kerby, Feb 25, 2007
  9. Mark²

    George Kerby Guest

    On 2/25/07 1:24 AM, in article , "Paul
    Rubin" <http://> wrote:

    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:
    >> About 35 seconds long...
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoh2hCEZTE&mode=related&search=

    > Er, why isn't it 11 seconds long?

    DAMN! Late for the party-again.

    George Kerby, Feb 25, 2007
  10. Mark²

    223rem Guest

    223rem, Feb 25, 2007
  11. Mark²

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Feb 25, 2007
  12. Mark² wrote:

    > About 35 seconds long...
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoh2hCEZTE&mode=related&search=
    >
    > Yipe.

    I think doing this with an SLR with mirror is stupid. It would be more
    effective and useful
    if it was a live preview with electronic shutter. Kind of like a video
    camera with 10mp.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Feb 25, 2007
  13. Mark²

    Jeff Burke Guest

    Jeff Burke, Feb 25, 2007
  14. On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:33:20 -0700, Jeff Burke <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:59:17 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number
    >here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >
    >>About 35 seconds long...
    >>
    >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoh2hCEZTE&mode=related&search=
    >>
    >>Yipe.

    >Yeah, cool, but do they offer a strobe that can keep up with it?

    What would be the point when 8 out of 10 models have a fit when you
    try and use it? Then again, some photographers would probably just
    call that "Art" and make a fortune...

    Andy

    Andy Blanchard, Feb 26, 2007
  15. On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:08:23 -0500, 223rem <> wrote:

    >Mark² wrote:
    >> About 35 seconds long...
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoh2hCEZTE&mode=related&search=
    >>
    >> Yipe.

    >The mirror is locked throughout and what we hear is the shutter, correct?

    I think it depends on the mode. In normal operation the mirror is
    definitely getting flipped too so you can track the action through the
    viewfinder, but I'm pretty sure that the mirror does stay locked up in
    live preview mode.

    Look at it like this; if the thing is designed for 10fps and you
    mainly use it at a slower speed then you should get a better MTBF than
    all the machine gunners out there.

    Andy

    Andy Blanchard, Feb 26, 2007
  16. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    223rem wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> About 35 seconds long...
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoh2hCEZTE&mode=related&search=
    >>
    >> Yipe.

    > The mirror is locked throughout and what we hear is the shutter,
    > correct?

    No. The mirror is moving each time. Otherwise, you couldn't track a moving
    subject during the shoot. It's pretty amazing, really. Canon's Film body,
    the 1NRS used to do 10fps (IIRC), but it had a pellicle mirror to accomplish
    that.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Feb 26, 2007
  17. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > On Feb 25, 1:08 pm, 223rem <> wrote:
    >> Mark² wrote:
    >>> About 35 seconds long...

    >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoh2hCEZTE&mode=related&search=

    >>> Yipe.

    >> The mirror is locked throughout and what we hear is the shutter,
    >> correct?

    > That would be the logical way of doing it. So no.

    Uh...logical only to you, Rich, as a guy with no experience using a DSLR...
    ....If the mirror stayed lockd up through out, you'd be shooting completely
    blind! -Ever try tracking a flying bird without looking at it??

    Doh!
    RichA's brain strikes again!

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Feb 26, 2007
  18. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >
    >> About 35 seconds long...
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoh2hCEZTE&mode=related&search=
    >>
    >> Yipe.

    > I think doing this with an SLR with mirror is stupid. It would be more
    > effective and useful
    > if it was a live preview with electronic shutter. Kind of like a video
    > camera with 10mp.

    Then does that mean, in your opinion, that 5fps with mirror is also stupid?
    -Like the 30D or Nikon D200? Or how about the D1 series...or 1 series at
    8.5fps?

    There is no substitute for an optical viewfinder when it comes to fast
    action.
    -At least not yet. No EVF made to date is delay-free, and the most
    critical time you NEED zero viewing delay is in fast-moving action. -That's
    why an EVF would not be helpful here.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Feb 26, 2007
  19. Mark²

    223rem Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    >>> The mirror is locked throughout and what we hear is the shutter,
    >>> correct?

    >> That would be the logical way of doing it. So no.

    > Uh...logical only to you, Rich, as a guy with no experience using a DSLR...
    > ...If the mirror stayed lockd up through out, you'd be shooting completely
    > blind! -Ever try tracking a flying bird without looking at it??

    Doesnt this camera have live preview with the mirror locked?

    223rem, Feb 26, 2007
  20. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    223rem wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> RichA wrote:
    >>> That would be the logical way of doing it. So no.

    >> Uh...logical only to you, Rich, as a guy with no experience using a
    >> DSLR... ...If the mirror stayed lockd up through out, you'd be
    >> shooting completely blind! -Ever try tracking a flying bird without
    >> looking at it??

    > Doesnt this camera have live preview with the mirror locked?

    Yes, but with manual focus only. Familiarity with the innards of a DSLR's
    focus system will explain why that is that way. At the same time that the
    mirrow is showing you the view, it's also guiding the image through the
    focus system. Once the mirror is flipped out of the way, the focus system
    is inaccessible.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Feb 26, 2007