What do you want to know when you ask, "Anyone have experience with ... ?"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Frank ess, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. Frank  ess

    Frank ess Guest

    Suppose Santa grants my wish and brings me a new dSLR and a couple-three
    nice lenses. I don't have the expertise to do a full-on lp/mm
    exploration, nor a Web site to present results for public edification
    (yet). I do expect to spend a number of fairly big chunks of my valuable
    and fast-depleting time putting the hardware through its paces and
    learning how to get it near the hoops professional photographers make it
    jump through.

    I'm not as good at Menus as I am at Recipes. I'd appreciate guidance as
    to some (relatively) simple procedures to go through as a path to
    familiarization, with the added benefit of adding some (possibly) useful
    "data" to the pool.

    I have no illusions about authoritative, scientific rigor; however, I do
    have some skill at observing and recording events. I don't want to do a
    "review" - plenty of those out there already. Maybe I'm asking, "What do
    the reviews omit, and can I fill the blanks?"

    What events should I create, subject the machinery to, and be able to
    report on?

    I'm thinking:

    Out-of-box experience

    Some "standard" scene photographed under xxx conditions with each lens,
    at zoom limits and standard intermediate focal lengths, f-stops ...

    Real-life nature walk over the same course, photo-ing the same scenes

    Pictures of the equipment in familiar surroundings with objects of
    known, familiar size in the frame

    et cetera

    I don't really like those ideas. What can I do that would be of use to
    you? Go ahead and say, "Nothing," if that's your answer.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Dec 11, 2004

  2. Frank  ess

    Jeremy Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message

    >I do expect to spend a number of fairly big chunks of my valuable
    > and fast-depleting time putting the hardware through its paces

    Like OUR time is not as valuable as yours?

    Try reading the manual.
    Jeremy, Dec 11, 2004

  3. Frank  ess

    Mark² Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message

    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    >
    > >I do expect to spend a number of fairly big chunks of my valuable
    > > and fast-depleting time putting the hardware through its paces

    > Like OUR time is not as valuable as yours?
    >
    > Try reading the manual.

    You didn't read him correctly at all, Jeremy.
    He was offering to do testing on equipment for OUR information...
    ....in order to fill in typical gaps found in reviews that are widely
    available to us.
    This was a very nice offer, and one which deserves some attention, rather
    than a quick, rude reaction.
    Mark², Dec 11, 2004
  4. A couple of images I would like to see is of a brick wall or a patterned
    suit...things that might show a moiré pattern. And try a shot of a pole
    going diagonal across the frame so we can judge sharpness. I like to
    download original images...RAW if Photoshop will open them...Tiff otherwise.

    Gene Palmiter, Dec 11, 2004
  5. Frank  ess

    Frank ess Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I do expect to spend a number of fairly big chunks of my valuable
    >> and fast-depleting time putting the hardware through its paces

    > Like OUR time is not as valuable as yours?
    >
    > Try reading the manual.

    .... and the horse you rode in on, Mr Tin Ear.
    Frank ess, Dec 11, 2004
  6. Frank  ess

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:34:22 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
    <> wrote:

    >Suppose Santa grants my wish and brings me a new dSLR and a couple-three
    >nice lenses.

    Say it ain't so, Frank! You're not going/coming over to the enemy... :)
    Actually, hope you get what you wish, though I'm curious given your stance
    in the P&S vs. dslr discussions and preference, what made you change you
    mind? Or more likely you haven't, just opening up the options you have at
    your avail.

    >I don't have the expertise to do a full-on lp/mm
    >exploration, nor a Web site to present results for public edification
    >(yet).

    If web space is an issue and this takes off, maybe I can lend a hand there
    to start. I have plenty of free space on my site/host.

    >What events should I create, subject the machinery to, and be able to
    >report on?
    >

    >I'm thinking:

    ....snip snip

    >I don't really like those ideas. What can I do that would be of use to
    >you? Go ahead and say, "Nothing," if that's your answer.

    I'll need to think..... No matter what the outcome your offer is
    appreciated.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Dec 11, 2004
  7. "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Suppose Santa grants my wish and brings me a new dSLR and a couple-three
    > nice lenses.

    Suppose you wait until Xmas Day before asking these questions.
    Santa may NOT bring what you so desperately want! :)

    Gerrit - Oz
    Gerrit 't Hart, Dec 11, 2004
  8. In fact, one of the main things we want to know is whether the manual is any
    good... whether there is a good "quick start" and so forth.
    Michael A. Covington, Dec 11, 2004
  9. Frank  ess

    Frank ess Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:34:22 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Suppose Santa grants my wish and brings me a new dSLR and a
    >> couple-three nice lenses.

    > Say it ain't so, Frank! You're not going/coming over to the enemy...
    > :) Actually, hope you get what you wish, though I'm curious given
    > your stance in the P&S vs. dslr discussions and preference, what made
    > you change you mind? Or more likely you haven't, just opening up the
    > options you have at your avail.
    >
    >> I don't have the expertise to do a full-on lp/mm
    >> exploration, nor a Web site to present results for public edification
    >> (yet).

    > If web space is an issue and this takes off, maybe I can lend a hand
    > there to start. I have plenty of free space on my site/host.
    >

    >> What events should I create, subject the machinery to, and be able to
    >> report on?
    >>

    >> I'm thinking:

    > ...snip snip
    >
    >> I don't really like those ideas. What can I do that would be of use
    >> to you? Go ahead and say, "Nothing," if that's your answer.

    > I'll need to think..... No matter what the outcome your offer is
    > appreciated.

    Thanks, Ed.

    When I was the best third baseman in all of Junior High baseball, one of
    my skills was switch-hitting. Above all, I seem to be a pragmatist:
    loyalty to getting results and enjoying the process may be more
    important than sticking to my guns, hardware-wise. Or it could be sloth:
    I expect to discover it is a lot more work to achieve the same ends with
    a "z-cam" than with a dSLR, given a similar level of familiarity with
    the tools.

    I looked over my past year's output, saw this: the good-or-better stuff
    was where I could move myself around the subject, or move the subject
    around and make considered choices more-or-less at my leisure; the
    pedestrian-to-almost-good stuff was when the timing was not my choice,
    when I had to catch something transient kind of on its terms, not mine.

    I may discover the fault is in my eye or sensibility or some combination
    of factors that doesn't include camera characteristics. I don't know,
    but I reckon a concerted effort over a few months may just tell me.
    Twenty years ago I was pretty good with film SLRs. If I can't get back
    to that level with a modern camera, I'll still have had the opportunity,
    and will no doubt enjoy it. There's a reasonable chance I'll discover
    the physical work of toting and lifting the dSLR technology is not
    justified by minor improvements in product. But I hope not.

    Any road, I got to get out there in this delightful Spring-like day and
    click a shutter or two: To paraphrase my Grandma, "Photography is like
    shaving: if you don't do it every day, you're a bum".

    Thanks again,

    Frank

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Dec 11, 2004
  10. Frank  ess

    Frank ess Guest

    Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    >> Suppose Santa grants my wish and brings me a new dSLR and a
    >> couple-three nice lenses.

    > Suppose you wait until Xmas Day before asking these questions.
    > Santa may NOT bring what you so desperately want! :)
    >
    > Gerrit - Oz

    I guess you could be right. No point in burning up mental energy over
    something that may not come to be. No sense thinking about what's
    important or useful beforehand. Cross that bridge when we come to it.

    Yo, Gerrit: what's with the " 't " in your moniker?

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Dec 11, 2004
  11. Frank  ess

    Frank ess Guest

    Michael A. Covington wrote:
    > In fact, one of the main things we want to know is whether the manual
    > is any good... whether there is a good "quick start" and so forth.

    Thank you. I've put it on my list.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Dec 12, 2004