what do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Diehard, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    I would go with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe MoBo with an XP2800 CPU. That CPU is
    both cheaper and faster but if you like Intel, go Intel. I also like Asus,
    much more than MSI for the mainboard.

    There's cheaper DVD drives. I just got a LiteOn LWD411S Dual Format drive
    for 79.99 after rebate.

    I'd get a real power supply as well.

    I'd also forget the Raptor 36GB drive and get a 120GB or larger 7200RPM ATA
    drive with 8MB cache.

    Minor note is the floppy cable you're thinking about has 2 connectors. You
    should get a single connector unless you're putting in 2 drives. It'll look
    nicer. I started using rounded floppy cables awhile ago and they make for a
    tidy setup. I'm still wary of the rounded IDE cables as the whole idea of
    the 80pin cable was to separate the data wires with a ground wire to
    minimize crosstalk. A rounded cable , IMO, defeats this.

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=540518

    Michael-NC, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > I would go with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe MoBo with an XP2800 CPU. That CPU is
    > both cheaper and faster but if you like Intel, go Intel. I also like Asus,
    > much more than MSI for the mainboard.
    >
    > There's cheaper DVD drives. I just got a LiteOn LWD411S Dual Format drive
    > for 79.99 after rebate.
    >
    > I'd get a real power supply as well.
    >
    > I'd also forget the Raptor 36GB drive and get a 120GB or larger 7200RPM

    ATA
    > drive with 8MB cache.
    >
    > Minor note is the floppy cable you're thinking about has 2 connectors. You
    > should get a single connector unless you're putting in 2 drives. It'll

    look
    > nicer. I started using rounded floppy cables awhile ago and they make for

    > tidy setup. I'm still wary of the rounded IDE cables as the whole idea of
    > the 80pin cable was to separate the data wires with a ground wire to
    > minimize crosstalk. A rounded cable , IMO, defeats this.
    >
    > "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=540518

    I got the hard drive cus of speed. I am putting in another 40gb ata100. I
    wanted the sony only because I had a sony vaio and the sony inside it was
    perfect for dvdrw. so i wanted to stay with what i know.
    the msi board tomshardware rates the best in a big mobo review. fastest too.
    i wanted intel because we've never owned intel and the sony vaio i took back
    was also a P4. The case I am refusing shipment since newegg won't let me
    cancel it. I called them less then 12 hrs later and they said they won't let
    me cancel it because it was already scanned in the warehouse or something.
    So I will refuse shipment and get locally a better case/psu. Probably an
    antec psu and case. other then that i think the pc is good. the P4 2.4c can
    be overclocked to 3ghz maybe faster stock cooling and everything. so i may
    do that, but not right away. and the msi board is awesome for overclocking.

    Diehard, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > > I would go with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe MoBo with an XP2800 CPU. That CPU

    is
    > > both cheaper and faster but if you like Intel, go Intel. I also like

    Asus,
    > > much more than MSI for the mainboard.
    > >
    > > There's cheaper DVD drives. I just got a LiteOn LWD411S Dual Format

    drive
    > > for 79.99 after rebate.
    > >
    > > I'd get a real power supply as well.
    > >
    > > I'd also forget the Raptor 36GB drive and get a 120GB or larger 7200RPM

    > ATA
    > > drive with 8MB cache.
    > >
    > > Minor note is the floppy cable you're thinking about has 2 connectors.

    You
    > > should get a single connector unless you're putting in 2 drives. It'll

    > look
    > > nicer. I started using rounded floppy cables awhile ago and they make

    for
    > > tidy setup. I'm still wary of the rounded IDE cables as the whole idea

    of
    > > the 80pin cable was to separate the data wires with a ground wire to
    > > minimize crosstalk. A rounded cable , IMO, defeats this.
    > >
    > > "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=540518

    > I got the hard drive cus of speed. I am putting in another 40gb ata100.

    That's cool cuase you'll fill 36GB pretty quick.

    > wanted the sony only because I had a sony vaio and the sony inside it was
    > perfect for dvdrw. so i wanted to stay with what i know.
    > the msi board tomshardware rates the best in a big mobo review. fastest

    too.

    That's to be taken with a grain of salt. Stability and quality are two
    important features to consider as well as speed. The fastest board is not
    always the best but MSI is a major player and you didn't make a bad
    decision.

    > i wanted intel because we've never owned intel and the sony vaio i took

    back
    > was also a P4.

    AMD is a good platform. I went AMD since the days of the K6 and never looked
    back to Intel. Well, not entirely true, I had a 1.3GHz celeron desktop
    around here for awhile and my lapper has a 1.8GHz Celly. I will tell you,
    I've saved a considerable amount of cash and have had excellent performance,
    reliability and satisfaction with AMD.

    >The case I am refusing shipment since newegg won't let me
    > cancel it. I called them less then 12 hrs later and they said they won't

    let
    > me cancel it because it was already scanned in the warehouse or something.

    That's odd, Newegg is usually very accommodating.

    > So I will refuse shipment and get locally a better case/psu. Probably an
    > antec psu and case. other then that i think the pc is good. the P4 2.4c

    can
    > be overclocked to 3ghz maybe faster stock cooling and everything. so i may
    > do that, but not right away. and the msi board is awesome for

    overclocking.

    Antec makes a decent PS, that's a lot better than a generic PS. Good luck
    with the build, it'll should be a nice machine.

    Michael-NC, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > reliability and satisfaction with AMD.
    >
    > >The case I am refusing shipment since newegg won't let me
    > > cancel it. I called them less then 12 hrs later and they said they won't

    > let
    > > me cancel it because it was already scanned in the warehouse or

    something.

    > That's odd, Newegg is usually very accommodating.
    >
    > > So I will refuse shipment and get locally a better case/psu. Probably an
    > > antec psu and case. other then that i think the pc is good. the P4 2.4c

    > can
    > > be overclocked to 3ghz maybe faster stock cooling and everything. so i

    may
    > > do that, but not right away. and the msi board is awesome for

    > overclocking.
    >
    > Antec makes a decent PS, that's a lot better than a generic PS. Good luck
    > with the build, it'll should be a nice machine.

    The article at tomshardware for the board i got said it was awesome in
    stability and performance. BUT, how can a board be fast? i don't get that at
    all.
    I've got in my own pc an athlon 1700+ and it's ok. I just wanted the P$ 2.4c
    cus you can stock, overclock to liek 3ghz or even faster. and the new
    athlons you can not i have heard.

    The case i buy will have an antec psu. i might get locally an antec case
    with psu, but not sure. i have right now 2 antec cases, love em to death for
    being old, but the new ones look more cool, the metal and stuff.

    i hope the sata is fast tho, the 10k rpm drive. and also here's a question.
    what is the best way to make my pc quiet? i don't want to hear the hard
    drive and i can't hear high pitched whinning from the hard drive or cpu fan
    or whatever without it kiling me. i can hear high pitched sounds really
    good, like 4 feet away even. im sensitive to that. and it kills my ears. so
    what's a good way to help the pc be quiet?

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    > The article at tomshardware for the board i got said it was awesome in
    > stability and performance. BUT, how can a board be fast? i don't get that

    at
    > all.

    The motherboard is more than just a collection of circuit traces. Most
    notably, it contains the chipset, and the BIOS, which in tandem have a large
    influence on the performance of the system. The board has to get data to and
    from the cards, memory, storage devices, and CPU. The chipset handles all of
    this, and how well the chipset's features are supported on a given
    board+BIOS can have a big effect that sets it apart from another board with
    the same chipset.

    > I've got in my own pc an athlon 1700+ and it's ok. I just wanted the P$

    2.4c
    > cus you can stock, overclock to liek 3ghz or even faster. and the new
    > athlons you can not i have heard.
    >
    > The case i buy will have an antec psu. i might get locally an antec case
    > with psu, but not sure. i have right now 2 antec cases, love em to death

    for
    > being old, but the new ones look more cool, the metal and stuff.
    >
    > i hope the sata is fast tho, the 10k rpm drive. and also here's a

    question.
    > what is the best way to make my pc quiet?

    Use larger, slower fans. Small fans have to run faster and consequently
    noisier to move the same amount of air. So opt for a case with large fan
    mounts. Efficiently route cables, and fan flow direction for the best
    effect, which will cut down on the need for extra fans. Make sure there is
    adequate airflow around the case, and it's not stuffed into a cabinet that
    restricts airflow. Also use temperature-controlled fans that can slow down
    when the temp is low.

    Thor, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > The article at tomshardware for the board i got said it was awesome in
    > > stability and performance. BUT, how can a board be fast? i don't get

    that
    > at
    > > all.

    > The motherboard is more than just a collection of circuit traces. Most
    > notably, it contains the chipset, and the BIOS, which in tandem have a

    large
    > influence on the performance of the system. The board has to get data to

    and
    > from the cards, memory, storage devices, and CPU. The chipset handles all

    of
    > this, and how well the chipset's features are supported on a given
    > board+BIOS can have a big effect that sets it apart from another board

    with
    > the same chipset.
    >

    > > I've got in my own pc an athlon 1700+ and it's ok. I just wanted the P$

    > 2.4c
    > > cus you can stock, overclock to liek 3ghz or even faster. and the new
    > > athlons you can not i have heard.
    > >
    > > The case i buy will have an antec psu. i might get locally an antec case
    > > with psu, but not sure. i have right now 2 antec cases, love em to death

    > for
    > > being old, but the new ones look more cool, the metal and stuff.
    > >
    > > i hope the sata is fast tho, the 10k rpm drive. and also here's a

    > question.
    > > what is the best way to make my pc quiet?

    > Use larger, slower fans. Small fans have to run faster and consequently
    > noisier to move the same amount of air. So opt for a case with large fan
    > mounts. Efficiently route cables, and fan flow direction for the best
    > effect, which will cut down on the need for extra fans. Make sure there is
    > adequate airflow around the case, and it's not stuffed into a cabinet that
    > restricts airflow. Also use temperature-controlled fans that can slow down
    > when the temp is low.

    Thanks Thor. I heard also to get noise dampaners for the hard drive. what
    are these, how much? where to get? how do they work?

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    > Thanks Thor. I heard also to get noise dampaners for the hard drive. what
    > are these, how much? where to get? how do they work?

    All I've seen relating to this is a case design with rubber grommets that
    isolate the drive mounts. Kind of like rubber engine mounts. In any case,
    the western digital drives are pretty quiet anyway in general these days.

    Thor, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > > Thanks Thor. I heard also to get noise dampaners for the hard drive.

    what
    > > are these, how much? where to get? how do they work?

    > All I've seen relating to this is a case design with rubber grommets that
    > isolate the drive mounts. Kind of like rubber engine mounts. In any case,
    > the western digital drives are pretty quiet anyway in general these days.

    Also for noise abatement, get the retail fan or get a Zalman CPU cooler.
    They also sell a mat you can install inside the case to absorb noise,
    believe it's called dynamat. The power supply is also a noisy component.
    Check out your selection and make sure it's quiet.

    Michael-NC, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Diehard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in news:u4oJb.5591$6B.5482
    @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > I just wanted the P$ 2.4c
    > cus you can stock, overclock to liek 3ghz or even faster. and the new
    > athlons you can not i have heard.

    It is entirely true that you can not overclock any current Athlon product
    to 3 ghz without extreme cooling. However, it is useful to note that a 2.0
    ghz Athlon 64 3200+ beat the pants off a P4 3.2. Clock speed isn't
    everything.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 3, 2004
  11. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > > Thanks Thor. I heard also to get noise dampaners for the hard drive.

    > what
    > > > are these, how much? where to get? how do they work?

    > > All I've seen relating to this is a case design with rubber grommets

    that
    > > isolate the drive mounts. Kind of like rubber engine mounts. In any

    case,
    > > the western digital drives are pretty quiet anyway in general these

    days.

    > Also for noise abatement, get the retail fan or get a Zalman CPU cooler.
    > They also sell a mat you can install inside the case to absorb noise,
    > believe it's called dynamat. The power supply is also a noisy component.
    > Check out your selection and make sure it's quiet.

    To add to that, PC Power and Cooling has a line of PSUs specifially
    engineered for quiet operation. They are first class power supplies.

    Thor, Jan 3, 2004
  12. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Diehard" <> wrote in news:u4oJb.5591$6B.5482
    > @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    >
    > > I just wanted the P$ 2.4c
    > > cus you can stock, overclock to liek 3ghz or even faster. and the new
    > > athlons you can not i have heard.
    > >

    > It is entirely true that you can not overclock any current Athlon product
    > to 3 ghz without extreme cooling. However, it is useful to note that a

    2.0
    > ghz Athlon 64 3200+ beat the pants off a P4 3.2. Clock speed isn't
    > everything.

    Everyone keeps buying the XP2500 for 90 bucks, setting the FSB to 400MHz and
    awaaaaaaaay they go.

    Michael-NC, Jan 3, 2004
  13. Diehard

    Spajky® Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 00:32:26 GMT, "Diehard" <>
    wrote:

    >the 10k rpm drive. and also here's a question.
    >what is the best way to make my pc quiet? i don't want to hear the hard
    >drive and i can't hear high pitched whinning from the hard drive or cpu fan
    >or whatever without it kiling me. i can hear high pitched sounds really
    >good, like 4 feet away even. im sensitive to that. and it kills my ears. so
    >what's a good way to help the pc be quiet?

    do it by yourself like I did quieting my HD :)) , see under comp/mods
    on my site ...

    -- Regards, MERRY HOLIDAYS & HAPPY NEW YEAR, SPAJKY ®
    Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky®, Jan 3, 2004
  14. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Spajky" <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 00:32:26 GMT, "Diehard" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >the 10k rpm drive. and also here's a question.
    > >what is the best way to make my pc quiet? i don't want to hear the hard
    > >drive and i can't hear high pitched whinning from the hard drive or cpu

    fan
    > >or whatever without it kiling me. i can hear high pitched sounds really
    > >good, like 4 feet away even. im sensitive to that. and it kills my ears.

    so
    > >what's a good way to help the pc be quiet?
    > >

    > do it by yourself like I did quieting my HD :)) , see under comp/mods
    > on my site ...
    >
    > -- Regards, MERRY HOLIDAYS & HAPPY NEW YEAR, SPAJKY ®
    > & visit my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
    > Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
    > E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    I really appreciate all the help guys. So could someone give me a list in
    order of what to get for a quiet pc please? Like this.

    1: get this for power supply
    2: Get these dampaners or whatever
    3: get this etc.

    I'd greatly appreciate it cus i am clueless about all this stuff to make the
    pc more quiet. I need to be able to get it locally in seattle
    Washington/Tukwila, Washington too if possible and if not, where online?
    newegg? I plan to get a case locally that would come with a powersupply more
    then likely. If it did not then i want an SATA ready powersupply as i will
    be hooking up a SATA hard drive. I do have comming from newegg this 6 inch
    power adapter for sata. I also will be hooking up a 40gb ata10 drive as a
    secondary for more storage, but the OS will install on the SATA.

    Happy new year guys and thanks again for the help. i hope to be able to get
    all the info I need so next week when my parts come from newegg I can go to
    comp usa or some place and buy the case and stuff to make the pc more quiet.

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  15. Diehard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in

    > Everyone keeps buying the XP2500 for 90 bucks, setting the FSB to
    > 400MHz and awaaaaaaaay they go.

    Yup. The 2500+ is such a popular overclocker that AMD has completely
    locked the multiplier of the chip. No one has figured out how to unlock it
    again yet.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 3, 2004
  16. Diehard

    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Everyone keeps buying the XP2500 for 90 bucks, setting the FSB to
    > > 400MHz and awaaaaaaaay they go.
    > >

    > Yup. The 2500+ is such a popular overclocker that AMD has completely
    > locked the multiplier of the chip. No one has figured out how to unlock

    it
    > again yet.

    I heard about that but does it still effect the FSB. I thought most folks
    just upped the FSB to 200MHz and left the multiplier alone. Is the FSB
    locked as well?

    Michael-NC, Jan 3, 2004
  17. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    > "Spajky" <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 00:32:26 GMT, "Diehard" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >the 10k rpm drive. and also here's a question.
    > > >what is the best way to make my pc quiet? i don't want to hear the hard
    > > >drive and i can't hear high pitched whinning from the hard drive or cpu

    > fan
    > > >or whatever without it kiling me. i can hear high pitched sounds really
    > > >good, like 4 feet away even. im sensitive to that. and it kills my

    ears.
    > so
    > > >what's a good way to help the pc be quiet?
    > > >

    > > do it by yourself like I did quieting my HD :)) , see under comp/mods
    > > on my site ...
    > >
    > > -- Regards, MERRY HOLIDAYS & HAPPY NEW YEAR, SPAJKY ®
    > > & visit my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
    > > Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
    > > E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    > I really appreciate all the help guys. So could someone give me a list in
    > order of what to get for a quiet pc please? Like this.

    The noisiest components are probably the CPU fan, power supply and video
    card fan.

    > 1: get this for power supply

    http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/home.htm
    These supplies are super pricey. Browse Newegg power supplies that mention
    quiet in the description and then read the product reviews. Some power
    supplies have after 50 customer reviews and you'll know if the supply is
    _really_ quiet or not. Some of these are much cheaper than the PC Power and
    Cooling offerings.

    > 2: Get these dampaners or whatever

    I wouldn't bother with those really, a quiet CPU fan and PS will do it but
    here is a choice:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?R173233F6

    > 3: get this etc.

    CPU Fan:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-109&depa=1

    Quiet Case fans 80mm
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-206&depa=1

    Quiet PS
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?P253423F6

    I'd consider that supply, regardless of the one review. Enermax is top
    shelf.

    As long as you stay away from a GF5600 card, which can sound like a leaf
    blower, you should be OK.

    I have a computer in my kitchen and it has a quiet PS that I got from
    http://www.quietpcusa.com/
    Zalman CPU cooler and one quiet case fan in it. I could hardly hear it.

    Michael-NC, Jan 3, 2004
  18. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > > pc more quiet. I need to be able to get it locally in seattle
    > > Washington/Tukwila, Washington too if possible and if not, where online?
    > > newegg? I plan to get a case locally that would come with a powersupply

    > more
    > > then likely. If it did not then i want an SATA ready powersupply as i

    will
    > > be hooking up a SATA hard drive. I do have comming from newegg this 6

    inch
    > > power adapter for sata. I also will be hooking up a 40gb ata10 drive as

    > > secondary for more storage, but the OS will install on the SATA.
    > >
    > > Happy new year guys and thanks again for the help. i hope to be able to

    > get
    > > all the info I need so next week when my parts come from newegg I can go

    > > comp usa or some place and buy the case and stuff to make the pc more

    Thanks for the links. I want something for the hard drive cus it can make a
    high pitched whine sound and i need to cover up the sound as best as
    possible. I am more worried about the high pitched whinning sound comming
    from the cpu fan and hard drive then the normal fan noise. I just don't want
    *any* high pitched whinning sound. It kills my ears so bad that I won't use
    the pc at all. So I want to get rid of that noise if at all possible. I know
    it can come from hard drives and cpu fan.

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  19. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > > pc more quiet. I need to be able to get it locally in seattle
    > > Washington/Tukwila, Washington too if possible and if not, where online?
    > > newegg? I plan to get a case locally that would come with a powersupply

    > more
    > > then likely. If it did not then i want an SATA ready powersupply as i

    will
    > > be hooking up a SATA hard drive. I do have comming from newegg this 6

    inch
    > > power adapter for sata. I also will be hooking up a 40gb ata10 drive as

    > > secondary for more storage, but the OS will install on the SATA.
    > >
    > > Happy new year guys and thanks again for the help. i hope to be able to

    > get
    > > all the info I need so next week when my parts come from newegg I can go

    > > comp usa or some place and buy the case and stuff to make the pc more

    Well aweomse links, thanks man. umm, i have an offer/suggestion/please for
    help. Lets say I give you the money for a case and something to help reduce
    the high pitched noise from the hard drive and cpu fan etc. Say $100. Could
    you find this all from one place? A nice case with psu and something to help
    the noise? The pcpowerandcooling looked awesome. $$$$$ :(
    If someone could help me out by just picking something for me, I'd be
    willing to pay pal them some money or something for the help. Just that I
    want to be able to order something online asap so it's here about when my
    newegg parts would get here. Or be able to go pick it up locally. I'm
    thinking maybe $10 for the help. Or something else maybe I could do for
    someone if possible.

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  20. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > > pc more quiet. I need to be able to get it locally in seattle
    > > Washington/Tukwila, Washington too if possible and if not, where online?
    > > newegg? I plan to get a case locally that would come with a powersupply

    > more
    > > then likely. If it did not then i want an SATA ready powersupply as i

    will
    > > be hooking up a SATA hard drive. I do have comming from newegg this 6

    inch
    > > power adapter for sata. I also will be hooking up a 40gb ata10 drive as

    > > secondary for more storage, but the OS will install on the SATA.
    > >
    > > Happy new year guys and thanks again for the help. i hope to be able to

    > get
    > > all the info I need so next week when my parts come from newegg I can go

    > > comp usa or some place and buy the case and stuff to make the pc more

    Well ok you did what i kinda asaked for in a previous message so thanks.
    Umm, the dampening pad seems weuird cus i never heard of that before. not
    sure how you'd install it or something. sigh.

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004