    Gateway compatible with the SIP protocol.

    For further information, please visit:
    www.skypho.net

    Iro5, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Iro5

    Brian A Guest

    On 15 Nov 2005 02:22:00 -0800, "Iro5" <>
    wrote:

    >Call everyone, everywhere, for free, using Voip on your Internet
    >Broadband connection.
    >
    >By registering without charge to the Skypho network, you get a
    >telephone number, with your City prefix, that is immediately reachable
    >by any other telephone.
    >
    >You can call using your computer, either using any telephone or Voip
    >Gateway compatible with the SIP protocol.
    >
    >For further information, please visit:
    >www.skypho.net

    Had a quick look at the site. Here is a sumary of what I found:-

    First thing noticable is that English is obviously not the first
    language of the person who wrote the English version of what is an
    Italian run site.
    Numbers provided are geograpic - that's a positive!
    Sadly, it looks as if you can only call 'on-net' unless you link via
    PSTN. If it were possible to call other voip networks then it would
    make it more attractive.
    20% VAT is applied.
    As with other voip networks freefone calls are free.
    Peak and off-peak is measured according to Italian time. So you have
    to know what time it is in Italy. Seems very wierd to me.
    UK inland charges are the same whatever the time of day.
    UK charges a lot more than voipbuster at 1.9 cents inc VAT (1.28p)
    Calls to 0870, 0845 23c/min. Mobiles 18.5c/min.

    So, in summary.
    Plus points:-
    1. Operates a sip service.
    2. Geographic numbers.

    Negative points:-

    1. UK Tariff slightly more than that of voipfone, for example, and a
    lot more than voipbuster.
    2. Non-geos very expensive.
    3. 20% VAT.
    4. Peak/off peak tied to Italian time.
    5. Voip call slimited to 'on-net' afaik.

    Overall conclusion:
    Need to work on tariff a bit and perhaps, to compete with the
    competition, offer some calling packages as well as PAYG.
    Should link to other voip networks.
    Unless there is a good reason for having a peak and off peak tariff
    then they should drop it.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 15, 2005

  3. Iro5

    davew Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    >>For further information, please visit:
    >>www.skypho.net

    > So, in summary.
    > Plus points:-

    > 2. Geographic numbers.

    How do you get a non-italien geo?

    davew, Nov 15, 2005
  4. Iro5

    Martin² Guest

    Have the Skype / Ebay lawyers been in touch yet ?
    Only matter of time....
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Nov 15, 2005
  5. Iro5

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:35:03 +0000, davew
    <daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >

    >>>For further information, please visit:
    >>>www.skypho.net

    >> So, in summary.
    >> Plus points:-

    >> 2. Geographic numbers.
    >>

    >How do you get a non-italien geo?

    Even though it is Italian run, as you wil see from the site, it does
    cater for the UK and, from what I have read, provides UK geo. numbers.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 15, 2005
  6. Iro5

    Guest

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:30:48 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:35:03 +0000, davew
    ><daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net> wrote:

    >>> So, in summary.
    >>> Plus points:-

    >>> 2. Geographic numbers.
    >>>

    >>How do you get a non-italien geo?

    >Even though it is Italian run, as you wil see from the site, it does
    >cater for the UK and, from what I have read, provides UK geo. numbers.
    >
    >Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Can't see any mention of the UK in the country box Brian .

    , Nov 15, 2005
  7. Iro5

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:35:31 GMT, wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:30:48 GMT, Brian A
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:35:03 +0000, davew
    >><daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net> wrote:

    >>>How do you get a non-italien geo?

    >>Even though it is Italian run, as you wil see from the site, it does
    >>cater for the UK and, from what I have read, provides UK geo. numbers.
    >>
    >>Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    >Can't see any mention of the UK in the country box Brian .

    This sentence is in the faqs:
    'The Number Portability for UK numbers is not available at the moment.
    It will be available shortly.'
    Additonally:
    'How much is the cost for calling my telephone number?'
    'Skypho provides traditional geographical telephone numbers and the
    caller pays the local, long distance or international tariff based on
    its location.'
    You can also see UK calls tariffs detailed in the price list and the
    Union flag is on the red language bar.
    I think that all that does indicate that they are catering for the UK.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 16, 2005
  8. Iro5

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Brian A writes
    >On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:35:31 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:30:48 GMT, Brian A
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Even though it is Italian run, as you wil see from the site, it does
    >>>cater for the UK and, from what I have read, provides UK geo. numbers.
    >>>
    >>>Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    >>Can't see any mention of the UK in the country box Brian .

    >This sentence is in the faqs:
    >'The Number Portability for UK numbers is not available at the moment.
    >It will be available shortly.'
    >Additonally:
    > 'How much is the cost for calling my telephone number?'
    >'Skypho provides traditional geographical telephone numbers and the
    >caller pays the local, long distance or international tariff based on
    >its location.'
    >You can also see UK calls tariffs detailed in the price list and the
    >Union flag is on the red language bar.
    >I think that all that does indicate that they are catering for the UK.

    Quite so. But, as has been said before, UK does not appear in the
    "Country" box when you go to register. So UK residents can't register.

    Bit useless really.

    DF

    David Floyd, Nov 16, 2005
  9. Iro5

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:01:21 +0000, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    >In message of Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Brian A writes
    >>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:35:31 GMT, wrote:

    >>>Can't see any mention of the UK in the country box Brian .

    >>This sentence is in the faqs:
    >>'The Number Portability for UK numbers is not available at the moment.
    >>It will be available shortly.'
    >>Additonally:
    >> 'How much is the cost for calling my telephone number?'
    >>'Skypho provides traditional geographical telephone numbers and the
    >>caller pays the local, long distance or international tariff based on
    >>its location.'
    >>You can also see UK calls tariffs detailed in the price list and the
    >>Union flag is on the red language bar.
    >>I think that all that does indicate that they are catering for the UK.
    >>

    >Quite so. But, as has been said before, UK does not appear in the
    >"Country" box when you go to register. So UK residents can't register.
    >
    >Bit useless really.

    Ah, hadn't tried to register so didn't see that - now I do.
    It surely must be a mistake on their part.
    I wonder how long it will take them to realise that they don't have
    any UK customers.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 16, 2005
  10. Iro5

    Guest

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:29:37 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >Ah, hadn't tried to register so didn't see that - now I do.
    >It surely must be a mistake on their part.
    >I wonder how long it will take them to realise that they don't have
    >any UK customers.
    >
    >Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    I have seen this before in relation to some of these foreign providers
    sites .

    , Nov 16, 2005
  11. Iro5

    Einstein Guest

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:03:14 GMT, Brian A wrote:

    >Peak and off-peak is measured according to Italian time. So you have
    >to know what time it is in Italy. Seems very wierd to me.

    Italian time = UK time + 1 hour. You don't have to have the brains of
    Einstein to work that one out, do you?

    Einstein, Nov 16, 2005
  12. On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:29:37 GMT, Brian A wrote:

    >Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    How about "get brain in gear and remove needless quotes when replying
    to a post".

    Bottoms up!

    Remove needless quotes, Nov 16, 2005
  13. Iro5

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:32:57 +0000, Einstein <p@_.invalid> wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:03:14 GMT, Brian A wrote:
    >
    >>Peak and off-peak is measured according to Italian time. So you have
    >>to know what time it is in Italy. Seems very wierd to me.

    >Italian time = UK time + 1 hour. You don't have to have the brains of
    >Einstein to work that one out, do you?

    Generally, when operating internationally, GMT (or UTC) is used.
    How sensible would it be for a British Telco, operating
    internationally to reference British time. They are more likely to
    quote GMT.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 16, 2005
  14. Iro5

    pda700 Guest

    United Kingdom = Regno Unis. Geddit?! Sad fick lot here. Unfortunately you
    can't get much further.

    pda700, Nov 16, 2005
  15. Iro5

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:42:08 -0000, "pda700" <>
    wrote:

    >United Kingdom = Regno Unis. Geddit?! Sad fick lot here. Unfortunately you
    >can't get much further.
    >
    >> I have seen this before in relation to some of these foreign providers
    >> sites .

    I got an email from them and it is as you say...
    "It seems that we didn't translate "Regno
    Unito" into "Great Britain" in the Countries drop-down. We are going
    to do that. In the meantime please choose "Regno Unito".

    > Sad fick lot here.

    Well, I can't speak Italian and I must confess that this is the first
    time I have heard of "Regno Unito". I am sure it is for many others
    too. While I guess that the above remark was not to be taken too
    seriously, lack of knowledge is no sign of lack of intelligence.
    Some people make the mistake, when they watch quiz programmes on TV,
    for example, of thinking that people who answer well on general
    knowledge are somehow showing their intelligence. That is debateable.
    They are showing that they have a good memory. Knowledge is the lowest
    level in the cognitive domain. This is followed by 'understanding' or
    'comprehension'. Beyond that is 'application' and then 'synthesis'.
    How often have you seen someone on TV answer lots of general knowledge
    questions but then can't perform simple arithmetic.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 16, 2005
  16. Iro5

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Brian A writes
    >On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:42:08 -0000, "pda700" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>United Kingdom = Regno Unis. Geddit?! Sad fick lot here. Unfortunately you
    >>can't get much further.
    >>
    >>> I have seen this before in relation to some of these foreign providers
    >>> sites .

    >I got an email from them and it is as you say... "It seems that we
    >didn't translate "Regno Unito" into "Great Britain" in the Countries
    >drop-down. We are going to do that. In the meantime please choose
    >"Regno Unito".

    And in doing so you eventually get offered a number for Italy or
    Bucharest.

    Bloody useless lot!

    David Floyd, Nov 16, 2005