    knowing he's in the market for a new TV I thought I'd buy him this for
    Christmas. His VCR is kinda old too, or I'd just go with a DVD player.

    So, any recommendations? If no, what do you like? Must be <than $140
    ZForce, Dec 3, 2004

  2. ZForce

    FAQmeister Guest

    "ZForce" <> wrote in message
    news:Z%_rd.5448$-kc.rr.com
    > The Sony SLV-D350P. I'm looking to buy my Dad his first DVD player.
    > He has had is TV for about 15 years and it's finally crapping out on
    > him...so knowing he's in the market for a new TV I thought I'd buy
    > him this for Christmas. His VCR is kinda old too, or I'd just go
    > with a DVD player.
    >
    > So, any recommendations? If no, what do you like? Must be <than $140

    I have a combo unit and have to admit now that the tape transports are
    really poor quality and it's like putting all your eggs in one basket.
    Better to have separate units.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    FAQmeister, Dec 3, 2004

  3. ZForce

    DVDfanatico Guest

    Maybe you should get him a combo DVD+-RW/VCR unit with VCR+. They're really
    helpful for making back-ups of VHS tapes. I know Sony makes one.

    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Dec 4, 2004
  4. ZForce

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Any DVD/VCR combo is junk. Buy seperate units, save some money, and get
    better components.

    Pug Fugley, Dec 4, 2004
  5. >Maybe you should get him a combo DVD+-RW/VCR unit with VCR+. They're really
    >helpful for making back-ups of VHS tapes. I know Sony makes one.

    The great thing about the Sony DVD Recorder/VCR combo is that it will support
    all recordable DVD formats except DVD-RAM.

    That being said, I'm with the concensus that the original poster should
    purchase separates. The DVD/VCR combo decks, regardless of manufacturer, are
    not built very well. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Dec 4, 2004
  6. ZForce

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:49:05 -0600, "ZForce" <>
    wrote:

    >The Sony SLV-D350P. I'm looking to buy my Dad his first DVD player. He has
    >had is TV for about 15 years and it's finally crapping out on him...so
    >knowing he's in the market for a new TV I thought I'd buy him this for
    >Christmas. His VCR is kinda old too, or I'd just go with a DVD player.

    I've been happy with my Panasonic E75 VCR/DVD Recorder. It makes
    copying tape to DVD very easy. And the VCR seems to be well made and
    so far has had no problems locking onto tapes. I mainly went with a
    combo unit due to limited space and because I needed a new VCR anyway.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Dec 4, 2004