what do you guys think of this crazy problem?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Keith Chilton, Feb 22, 2007.

  1. I was at work today and got a call from a Win 2000 prof user joined to the
    domain. I get to her station and when she logs into the domain it takes her
    to a brand new empty profile. I check out Windows Explorer to view all the
    accounts the computer had on it. The one being used was USER.DOMAIN format.
    All the others had created similar formatting and even the ALL USERS profile
    had a duplicate in the format of ALLUSERS.PCNAME

    I was expecting her profile to be corrupt, but NOT ALL OF THEM. So I said to
    myself I better check this PC out this is really strange. I come across what
    the Local Disk C: says for the file type... It said "Unknown" Uh WOW? Major
    problem here..... I know for a fact it is NTFS. I had problems with this PC
    not even a month ago and totally formatted it and went to NTFS

    I ended up going into the registry by the way and found the profiles SID and
    it's ProfilePath key and changed it from where it was pointing to the new
    profile back to the old profile.

    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.co...p-local-user-profiles-domain-environment.html

    I didnt want to spend all day on it.. Rebooted, she logged in and everything
    was back to normal.. even the file system said NTFS and not "Unknown" like
    it was earlier... LOL

    What do you guys make of all that nonsense? I was happy to not have to waste
    an entire day on it. I had other stuff to do!

    --
    Keith Chilton, MCP
    Data Services Technician

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
    and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
    my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
    representative independent of this message.

    Keith Chilton, Feb 22, 2007

  2. I get this alot when the user profile doesn't want to use the profile it has
    been using for the past months and starts creating a USER.LOCALCOMPUTER.000
    profile all by itself, sometimes even USER.LOCALCOMPUTER.001 or
    USER.LOCALCOMPUTER.002 and so on. One time there were 5 of the same User
    Profile. Sometimes there are a couple of these under Documents & Settings
    for each User, go figure at least 50 users would use the computer at our
    school on a given day, that's alot of profiles, so now and again, I just
    re-image the computers, except the Teacher computers, where I have to be
    careful not to loose any data, they didnt save to their personal data on a
    mapped drive on the server. Bad teachers! In this case, I just delete the
    profiles that were unnecessarily created and delete them and leave the one
    that was originally created. 95% of the time, it works just fine with that.
    Now looking at the thread you just posted explains pretty much everything
    about the problem, well done for that research.

    I support over 900 users in a K-12 School (Students & teachers and
    Administrators :)), Laptops, Desktops, Macs *Ugh* and whatever resembles a
    computer and the 9 Servers we have in an AD Enviroment. Though my speciality
    is desktop support and I am blue in the face with that at the moment. Once I
    get my MCP, I want to start pushing my supervisor to start showing me the
    ropes on the servers, except I do have my own server, namely a dedicated
    Symantec Ghost Solutions Server, where all my precious saved Ghost images,
    ready for deployment.

    Ramon

    If it gets too much or time consuming, I then just image the machine in 7
    minutes using Ghost and the day is good again.

    Ramon De Bruijn, Feb 22, 2007

  3. Keith Chilton

    Cruwl Guest

    i see this pretty often on the network here.
    Our official stance on the issue is a complete new profile.
    We rename the local and the roaming profile and just transfer all user data
    to the new profile.

    The thing i see most often compared to that link tho is that our network
    seems to do it mostly on windows 2000, we just rolled out XP a few months ago
    and i cant recall seeing it happen on one of those boxes tho.

    --
    NMCI Support Analyst
    Soon to be MCP and MCDST

    Cruwl, Feb 22, 2007
  4. Keith Chilton

    Jeff Guest

    I have seen this before. This happens when a user logs out but something is
    still running that prevents the profile from being unloaded from the
    registry. When the user logs back in (without rebooting first) and then a
    new profile is created with .001 on the end of the name.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Feb 22, 2007
  5. Ramon,

    That is interesting. I don't think imaging is any kind of option where I
    work. But it works well for you! I totally see your point of view on it. Do
    you have any Windows 2000 Servers with active directory? How many PDCs do
    you have? I was looking at mirrored disks last night as an alternative to
    backing up our one Windows 2000 Server with Active Directory that we have. I
    am not sure what route to go to back up the beast, but I know I had better
    do it and soon

    Keith

    Keith Chilton, Feb 22, 2007
  6. Yea, I see this a lot too, there is actually a app you can download from
    Microsoft that is supposed to ensure users become fully logged off when they
    log off and should prevent the new profiles. I don't recall what it was or
    exactly where I seen it but I bet if you searched around you could find it.
    I didn't think much of it because it would mean having to install or push
    that out to all our client machines and its just not a big deal atm for us
    we have to many other major projects going.

    Jeremy Hudnall, Feb 23, 2007
  7. Keith Chilton

    Jeff Guest

    I didn't mention it before but you can use regedit to manually unload the
    user's hive under HKEY_USERS.
    Jeff

    Jeff, Feb 23, 2007
  8. Do you know the name of that program?

    Keith Chilton, Feb 23, 2007
  9. What subkey Jeff? or a name for it so i could do a search?

    Keith Chilton, Feb 23, 2007
  10. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Feb 23, 2007
  11. Great program , Great Link! Thanks Michael! I will strongly consider
    implementing this in our next system-wide upgrade. It definitely will
    prevent problems.. I am pro-active in fighting PC problems and do not want
    to sit back and let them come to me! :)

    Keith Chilton, Feb 23, 2007
  12. Keith Chilton

    Jeff Guest

    It's going to be a SID. On a workstation there will only be a couple of em
    listed. I usually drill down to HKEY_USERS\<really long
    SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and look for the
    logon user name or you can use FIND to search all of the HKEY_USERS for the
    username. Check the task manager first to make sure that the users doesn't
    have any open processes.
    Jeff

    Jeff, Feb 23, 2007