What do you do when...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    .... you receive an attachment, and your antivirus does not
    identify it? You delete it straight away, right? Well, yes,
    right, but also WRONG!
    Before you delete it, IF it is NOT recognised or identified,
    submit it to your antivirus vendor. This is called a virus "in
    the wild", and your vendor NEEDS to know about them.
    Before you do this, though, be sure NOT to click on it -
    just save it to disk, and archive it (zip/rar) so that it is safe,
    and can be sent to your AV vendor. I cannot stress enough
    how important it is NOT to click on an unknown attachment,
    even if it come from somebody you know.

    Follow the information on your vendor's support page, below -
    these are links for submitting suspect viruses, worms, trojans to
    the major vendors. The Kaspersky site allows for single file
    upload and immediate identification (if possible).

    IMPORTANT!
    -----------------
    Only submit an attachment ONCE, and once ONLY.
    Your vendor will not be over pleased if you bombard
    them with the same attachment over and over.
    Also, do NOT submit attachments that are already
    identified! Give them time to evaluate the file, and
    release an update - when they do, you can then feel
    that, maybe, your submission helped with, if not provided
    the 'fix'.

    Anti-Virus Software
    --------------------------

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)
    https://my-etrust.com/services/virusSample.cfm

    KAV/AVP (Kaspersky)

    Norton (Symantec)
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/submit.html

    McAfee (Network Associates)
    http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/report_virus.asp

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/support/queries/index.html#sample

    PC Cillin (Trend Micro)
    http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/trendlabs/submit.htm

    F-Secure
    http://www.f-secure.com/contactus.shtml

    Panda

    RAV (GeCAD)
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/support/submit-file.php
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
    See:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    Norman
    http://www.norman.com/analysis_common_report.shtml

    Bitdefender

    Command (Authentium)
    http://www.authentium.com/threats/submitsample.cfm

    Dr. Web (DialogueScience)
    http://www.dialognauka.ru/english/www_av/

    Aladdin Knowledge Systems
    http://www.eliashim.com/home/csrt/vsubmit.asp

    Protector Plus (Proland)
    http://www.pspl.com/support/support.htm

    Quick Heal (CAT Computer Services)
    http://www.quickheal.com/newvir.htm

    Vexira (Central Command)
    http://www.centralcommand.com/virus_submission.html

    Leprechaun
    http://www.leprechaun.com.au/contact.asp

    Anti-Trojan Software
    -----------------------------

    Trojan Defense Suite (Diamond CS)
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=contact

    Trojan Hunter (Mischel Security)
    http://www.misec.net/

    Trojan Remover (Simply Super Software)
    http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/support.html

    The Cleaner (Moosoft)
    http://www.moosoft.com/thecleaner/supportform.php

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2003

  2. °Mike°

    SgtMinor Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote:

    > ... you receive an attachment, and your antivirus does not
    > identify it? You delete it straight away, right? Well, yes,
    > right, but also WRONG!

    Altruism can be hoped for but not circumscribed.

    > Before you delete it, IF it is NOT recognised or identified,
    > submit it to your antivirus vendor. This is called a virus "in
    > the wild", and your vendor NEEDS to know about them.
    > Before you do this, though, be sure NOT to click on it -
    > just save it to disk, and archive it (zip/rar) so that it is safe,
    > and can be sent to your AV vendor. I cannot stress enough
    > how important it is NOT to click on an unknown attachment,
    > even if it come from somebody you know.
    >
    > Follow the information on your vendor's support page, below -
    > these are links for submitting suspect viruses, worms, trojans to
    > the major vendors. The Kaspersky site allows for single file
    > upload and immediate identification (if possible).
    >
    > IMPORTANT!
    > -----------------
    > Only submit an attachment ONCE, and once ONLY.
    > Your vendor will not be over pleased if you bombard
    > them with the same attachment over and over.
    > Also, do NOT submit attachments that are already
    > identified! Give them time to evaluate the file, and
    > release an update - when they do, you can then feel
    > that, maybe, your submission helped with, if not provided
    > the 'fix'.

    <snip>

    The 'virus, anti-virus' industry is a billion dollar success. It's a
    bottom-feeder internet industry. Saps and suckers are victimized
    repeatedly by both sides in this 'war,' and I feel badly for them. But
    I would no more advise people to capture potential viruses as you
    suggest than I would tell them to try to capture a potentially rabid
    raccoon. 'Pull the plug,' I'd tell 'em.

    Anti-virus producers must have hundreds of email addresses trolling out
    in webspace, capturing almost every virus infection doing the rounds. I
    don't mind helping these companies out, but since they're money-making
    businesses, they could throw some my way. And if, as you suggest, they
    get pissed off if I'm the fifth guy today to tell 'em today about the
    next virus, screw them. I'll meed a bounty payment.

    --
    "I figger a C-note (American!) would be fair..."
    SgtMinor, Oct 4, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:02:43 -0400, in
    <>
    SgtMinor scrawled:

    <snip>

    >The 'virus, anti-virus' industry is a billion dollar success. It's a
    >bottom-feeder internet industry. Saps and suckers are victimized
    >repeatedly by both sides in this 'war,' and I feel badly for them.

    And this is different from any other industry, how?

    >But I would no more advise people to capture potential viruses as you
    >suggest than I would tell them to try to capture a potentially rabid
    >raccoon. 'Pull the plug,' I'd tell 'em.

    I made no suggestion that people should "capture" potential viruses.
    The attachments are already on the machine once downloaded.
    Simply saving them and zipping them up does not constitute, IMO,
    'capturing'. Nobody has to follow this advice; anybody that is
    leery of doing it should ignore it... period.

    >Anti-virus producers must have hundreds of email addresses trolling out
    >in webspace, capturing almost every virus infection doing the rounds.

    They do. But they cannot catch every single 'wild' virus. How do
    you think people get caught out? It is not only because people don't
    update regularly enough; AV vendors *do* get caught with their
    respective pants down.

    >I don't mind helping these companies out,

    You could have fooled me.

    >but since they're money-making businesses, they could throw some my
    >way. And if, as you suggest, they get pissed off if I'm the fifth guy
    >today to tell 'em today about the next virus, screw them. I'll meed a
    >bounty payment.

    Where did I suggest that they would get pissed off if 'you' were
    the fifth guy today? I stated not to submit the same attachment
    more than once.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2003
  4. °Mike°

    SgtMinor Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:02:43 -0400, in
    > <>
    > SgtMinor scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >The 'virus, anti-virus' industry is a billion dollar success. It's a
    > >bottom-feeder internet industry. Saps and suckers are victimized
    > >repeatedly by both sides in this 'war,' and I feel badly for them.

    > And this is different from any other industry, how?

    This industry is absolutely unique. I seem to recall some folk tale or
    song from years ago that described an equivalent enterprise. Ma sold
    punctured condoms in the store in front, while Pa provided abortions in
    the back shed.

    > >But I would no more advise people to capture potential viruses as you
    > >suggest than I would tell them to try to capture a potentially rabid
    > >raccoon. 'Pull the plug,' I'd tell 'em.

    > I made no suggestion that people should "capture" potential viruses.
    > The attachments are already on the machine once downloaded.
    > Simply saving them and zipping them up does not constitute, IMO,
    > 'capturing'. Nobody has to follow this advice; anybody that is
    > leery of doing it should ignore it... period.
    >
    > >Anti-virus producers must have hundreds of email addresses trolling out
    > >in webspace, capturing almost every virus infection doing the rounds.

    > They do. But they cannot catch every single 'wild' virus. How do
    > you think people get caught out? It is not only because people don't
    > update regularly enough; AV vendors *do* get caught with their
    > respective pants down.
    >
    > >I don't mind helping these companies out,

    > You could have fooled me.
    >
    > >but since they're money-making businesses, they could throw some my
    > >way. And if, as you suggest, they get pissed off if I'm the fifth guy
    > >today to tell 'em today about the next virus, screw them. I'll meed a
    > >bounty payment.

    > Where did I suggest that they would get pissed off if 'you' were
    > the fifth guy today? I stated not to submit the same attachment
    > more than once.
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    And I would get out of this, what?

    And BTW, how many viruses have you allowed to infect your system?

    --
    "It's not like giving a pint at the Red Cross"
    SgtMinor, Oct 4, 2003
  5. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:05:15 -0400, in
    <>
    SgtMinor scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" wrote:
    >>
    >> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:02:43 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> SgtMinor scrawled:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> >The 'virus, anti-virus' industry is a billion dollar success. It's a
    >> >bottom-feeder internet industry. Saps and suckers are victimized
    >> >repeatedly by both sides in this 'war,' and I feel badly for them.

    >> And this is different from any other industry, how?

    >This industry is absolutely unique. I seem to recall some folk tale or
    >song from years ago that described an equivalent enterprise. Ma sold
    >punctured condoms in the store in front, while Pa provided abortions in
    >the back shed.

    No answer, then...

    >> >But I would no more advise people to capture potential viruses as you
    >> >suggest than I would tell them to try to capture a potentially rabid
    >> >raccoon. 'Pull the plug,' I'd tell 'em.

    >> I made no suggestion that people should "capture" potential viruses.
    >> The attachments are already on the machine once downloaded.
    >> Simply saving them and zipping them up does not constitute, IMO,
    >> 'capturing'. Nobody has to follow this advice; anybody that is
    >> leery of doing it should ignore it... period.
    >>
    >> >Anti-virus producers must have hundreds of email addresses trolling out
    >> >in webspace, capturing almost every virus infection doing the rounds.

    >> They do. But they cannot catch every single 'wild' virus. How do
    >> you think people get caught out? It is not only because people don't
    >> update regularly enough; AV vendors *do* get caught with their
    >> respective pants down.
    >>
    >> >I don't mind helping these companies out,

    >> You could have fooled me.
    >>
    >> >but since they're money-making businesses, they could throw some my
    >> >way. And if, as you suggest, they get pissed off if I'm the fifth guy
    >> >today to tell 'em today about the next virus, screw them. I'll meed a
    >> >bounty payment.

    >> Where did I suggest that they would get pissed off if 'you' were
    >> the fifth guy today? I stated not to submit the same attachment
    >> more than once.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Basic computer maintenance

    >And I would get out of this, what?

    Everything and nothing; whatever you want/don't want.
    WTF has my sig. to do with anything?

    >And BTW, how many viruses have you allowed to infect your system?

    Not one single virus/trojan/worm has *ever* infected my system.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2003
  6. °Mike°

    SgtMinor Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:05:15 -0400, in
    > <>
    > SgtMinor scrawled:
    >
    > >"°Mike°" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:02:43 -0400, in
    > >> <>
    > >> SgtMinor scrawled:
    > >>
    > >> <snip>

    > >> And this is different from any other industry, how?

    > >This industry is absolutely unique. I seem to recall some folk tale or
    > >song from years ago that described an equivalent enterprise. Ma sold
    > >punctured condoms in the store in front, while Pa provided abortions in
    > >the back shed.

    > No answer, then...

    The answer was quite clear. The success of AV products depends on the
    number of new viruses they block. Wouldn't be surprised if there were
    AV products out there that can blcok viruses not yet created.

    > >> I made no suggestion that people should "capture" potential viruses.
    > >> The attachments are already on the machine once downloaded.
    > >> Simply saving them and zipping them up does not constitute, IMO,
    > >> 'capturing'. Nobody has to follow this advice; anybody that is
    > >> leery of doing it should ignore it... period.

    > >> They do. But they cannot catch every single 'wild' virus. How do
    > >> you think people get caught out? It is not only because people don't
    > >> update regularly enough; AV vendors *do* get caught with their
    > >> respective pants down.

    > >> You could have fooled me.

    > >> Where did I suggest that they would get pissed off if 'you' were
    > >> the fifth guy today? I stated not to submit the same attachment
    > >> more than once.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Basic computer maintenance

    > >And I would get out of this, what?

    > Everything and nothing; whatever you want/don't want.
    > WTF has my sig. to do with anything?

    Sorry, tried the PC bottom posting technique and appear to have
    offended. My question pertained to the virus vigilante concept.

    > >And BTW, how many viruses have you allowed to infect your system?

    > Not one single virus/trojan/worm has *ever* infected my system.

    Same here. So what's your/my motivation?

    SgtMinor, Oct 4, 2003
  7. °Mike°

    Budweiser Guest

    Re: What do-what would happen?.

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > and can be sent to your AV vendor. I cannot stress enough
    > how important it is NOT to click on an unknown attachment,
    > even if it come from somebody you know.
    >
    > Follow the information on your vendor's support page, below -
    > these are links for submitting suspect viruses, worms, trojans to
    > the major vendors. The Kaspersky site allows for single file
    > upload and immediate identification (if possible).
    >

    > IMPORTANT!
    > -----------------
    > Only submit an attachment ONCE, and once ONLY.
    > Your vendor will not be over pleased if you bombard
    > them with the same attachment over and over.
    > Also, do NOT submit attachments that are already
    > identified! Give them time to evaluate the file, and
    > release an update - when they do, you can then feel
    > that, maybe, your submission helped with, if not provided

    if you want to play the paranoid side---who actually writes viri?--do they
    pay people so they can supply the miracle pill?(electronic) ---for a laugh
    run amachine with no firewall or viri protection--what happens???--how many
    viri do you catch in a month/year??
    how many times do you get "invaded" by "hackers"????
    personally i think it is paranoia for proffit----you comments
    Budweiser, Oct 4, 2003
  8. °Mike°

    monique Guest

    Re: What do-what would happen?.

    when i had anti virus i would get virus 2 or 3 times a month
    i quit the anti virus over a year now
    and i am doing great
    i haven't had a virus yet
    i do do not open any attachment at all from nobody even my best friend

    moniquew

    ://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    monique, Oct 4, 2003
  9. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:35:56 -0400, in
    <>
    SgtMinor scrawled:

    <snip>

    >The answer was quite clear. The success of AV products depends on the
    >number of new viruses they block. Wouldn't be surprised if there were
    >AV products out there that can blcok viruses not yet created.

    The answer was clear? Maybe to somebody that lives on the
    planet Zardoz!

    <snip>

    >Sorry, tried the PC bottom posting technique and appear to have
    >offended.

    Not offended; confused.

    > My question pertained to the virus vigilante concept.

    I think you're being a touch melodramatic over the whole thing.

    <snip>

    >Same here. So what's your/my motivation?

    I don't know about yours, but mine is that anything is possible.
    I'd rather help the vendors try to stay on top.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2003
  10. °Mike°

    gangle Guest

    **** you, **** Kaspersky, and **** your vendor.

    "°Mike°" wrote

    gangle, Oct 4, 2003
  11. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Go eat a dozen sausages, you bad tempered mutant.

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:44:50 -0700, in
    <>
    gangle scrawled:

    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2003
  12. °Mike°

    Petit Alexi Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in news:3fa7ff8c.21314429
    @localhost:

    > ... you receive an attachment, and your antivirus does not
    > identify it? You delete it straight away, right? Well, yes,
    > right, but also WRONG!
    > Before you delete it, IF it is NOT recognised or identified,
    > submit it to your antivirus vendor. This is called a virus "in
    > the wild", and your vendor NEEDS to know about them.

    Please tell me this is a joke.
    Petit Alexi, Oct 6, 2003
  13. °Mike°

    Herbert West Guest

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 06:29:51 -0500, Petit Alexi
    <> wrote:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in news:3fa7ff8c.21314429
    >@localhost:
    >
    >> ... you receive an attachment, and your antivirus does not
    >> identify it? You delete it straight away, right? Well, yes,
    >> right, but also WRONG!
    >> Before you delete it, IF it is NOT recognised or identified,
    >> submit it to your antivirus vendor. This is called a virus "in
    >> the wild", and your vendor NEEDS to know about them.

    >Please tell me this is a joke.

    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing <sigh>
    Herbert West, Oct 8, 2003