What do u think of these 10 certifications?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by viki.sanjeeva@gmail.com, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi guys,

    British Columbia Institute of Technology(BCIT) is offering a joint
    program in patnership with University of British Columbia(UBC). The
    program name is Network Administration and Security Professional
    (NASP).

    The very impressive (for me amazing) thing of the program is that they
    are covering 10 certifications in just 10 months. Here are the certs:

    * CompTIA A+ Core Hardware Certification exam;
    * CompTIA A+ Operating system Technologies Certification exam;
    * CompTIA Network+ Certification exam;
    * CompTIA Security+ Certification exam;
    * Microsoft Exam 70-270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering
    * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    * Microsoft Exam 70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft
    Windows Server 2003 Environment;
    * Microsoft Exam 70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a
    * Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure;
    * Microsoft Exam 70-299: Implementing and Administering Security in
    a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network; and
    * The Linux Professional Institute Junior Level Administration
    (LPIC -1 exam); and
    * The Linux Professional Institute Intermediate Administration
    (LPIC-2) Certification exams.

    I have few questions regarding this program.

    Do u think:
    1. Student will be able to write/pass these 10 certs in 10 months?
    2. After geting these 10 certs on CV, job chances will be higher than
    before?
    3. These 10 certs are in-demand IT certification in general and in
    particular to the Canadian market?

    Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

    Bye,
    Viki.
    , Jan 18, 2006

  2. Glenn Guest

    The only ones making anything from ANY exam are the ones administering
    it. When I am looking to hire all I want to know is "can you do the
    job?", not "what exams have you memorized?"

    Glenn, Jan 18, 2006

  3. On 18 Jan 2006 03:25:02 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >British Columbia Institute of Technology(BCIT) is offering a joint
    >program in patnership with University of British Columbia(UBC). The
    >program name is Network Administration and Security Professional
    >(NASP).
    >
    >The very impressive (for me amazing) thing of the program is that they
    >are covering 10 certifications in just 10 months. Here are the certs:
    >
    > * CompTIA A+ Core Hardware Certification exam;
    > * CompTIA A+ Operating system Technologies Certification exam;
    > * CompTIA Network+ Certification exam;
    > * CompTIA Security+ Certification exam;
    > * Microsoft Exam 70-270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering
    > * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    > * Microsoft Exam 70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft
    >Windows Server 2003 Environment;
    > * Microsoft Exam 70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a
    > * Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure;
    > * Microsoft Exam 70-299: Implementing and Administering Security in
    >a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network; and
    > * The Linux Professional Institute Junior Level Administration
    >(LPIC -1 exam); and
    > * The Linux Professional Institute Intermediate Administration
    >(LPIC-2) Certification exams.
    >

    >I have few questions regarding this program.
    >
    >Do u think:
    >1. Student will be able to write/pass these 10 certs in 10 months?
    >2. After geting these 10 certs on CV, job chances will be higher than
    >before?
    >3. These 10 certs are in-demand IT certification in general and in
    >particular to the Canadian market?
    >
    >Any feedback will be highly appreciated.
    >
    >Bye,
    >Viki.

    Does tuition cover your first try at each exam?

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Jan 18, 2006
  4. John O Guest

    > The very impressive (for me amazing) thing of the program is that they
    > are covering 10 certifications in just 10 months. Here are the certs:

    They are teaching you to pass the exams. They simply cannot be teaching you
    the skills that will allow you to pass the exams, in that time frame.

    That sounds subtle, but it's a HUGE distinction.

    Potential employer: "So, what certs do you have?"

    You: "[read that list]"

    Potential employer: "Wow, that's great. How long ago did you start working
    on all that?"

    You: "Ten months ago."

    Potential employer: "So, you got all that in just ten months?"

    You: "Yes"

    Potential employer: "Hmmm." (suddenly realizing you're very good at passing
    exams but only have ten months of hands on to go with all those certs...and
    he needs people who can do IT things, other than taking tests...)

    -John O
    John O, Jan 19, 2006
  5. MF Guest

    I teach these kind of classes.

    Depending on how much you already know:

    A+ takes 4 weeks to 10 weeks to get. Including at least 1 hour of homework
    for every hour of class.

    Network plus (assuming you have got A+ under your belt) takes two to three
    weeks to get.

    MCSE takes 3-6 months, if you already know it, or a a year if you don't -
    and work hard at it.

    Despite the fact that there are many cheat sheets and braindumps, this stuff
    is not easy to learn. It takes dedication and work.

    For example, suppose you are Cletus, with 25 children and another 25
    extended family in your house.

    I could come in and set up a 50 user network in two to four hours - secure,
    slightly maintenence free, and able to do whatever you wanted it to do. How
    long do you think it would take you to learn to do that?

    Figure your answer. Then figure the claim that is being made by the school
    in question.

    good luck

    Mike

    MF, Jan 24, 2006