WHAT DO SCANDISK THOROUGH BEEPS MEAN???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JJ Jones, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. JJ Jones

    JJ Jones Guest

    I have been running Scandisk Thorough for the past 18 hours. Its
    gotten almost to the end (cluster 1,217,657 of 1,220,340), but now it
    has been sitting at this same cluster for the past hour giving various
    numbers of beeps. The beeps don't seem to form a specific code, but
    since the number of beeps is different each time, it doesn't seem like
    the thing is totally dead. Could Scandisk be now fixing this sector?

    It was running pretty smoothly for the past 18 hours at a constant rate
    of about 930 clusters per minute.

    Here are a few of the beep patterns: I got 28 beeps, 10 beeps, 21
    beeps, 20 beeps, and 10 beeps. Each of these series of beeps was
    separated by about 10 or 20 seconds of silence. This continues on and
    on. So far its always been between 10 and 29 beeps.

    Occasionally it will give a series of beeps and just pause for a second
    and beep some more. One time it did 14 and 14, another time it did 6,
    22 and 14.

    This is on a Sony Vaio laptop (PCG-XG29) running Windows ME.

    Other notes: It will run perfectly thru a Scandisk Standard, with no
    complaints. However, a Defrag crashes with error DEFRAG006, saying it
    can not access part of drive. And says to run Scandisk Thorough.

    WAIT!!! NEWS FLASH!!! The screen changed and it made it to 1,217,913!
    So apparently the thing is doing SOMETHING. I was thinking of just
    letting it run all weekend. Does that make sense?

    Anybody have any idea of what these beeps mean?
    JJ Jones, Jan 6, 2006

  2. From: "JJ Jones" <>

    | I have been running Scandisk Thorough for the past 18 hours. Its
    | gotten almost to the end (cluster 1,217,657 of 1,220,340), but now it
    | has been sitting at this same cluster for the past hour giving various
    | numbers of beeps. The beeps don't seem to form a specific code, but
    | since the number of beeps is different each time, it doesn't seem like
    | the thing is totally dead. Could Scandisk be now fixing this sector?
    |
    | It was running pretty smoothly for the past 18 hours at a constant rate
    | of about 930 clusters per minute.
    |
    | Here are a few of the beep patterns: I got 28 beeps, 10 beeps, 21
    | beeps, 20 beeps, and 10 beeps. Each of these series of beeps was
    | separated by about 10 or 20 seconds of silence. This continues on and
    | on. So far its always been between 10 and 29 beeps.
    |
    | Occasionally it will give a series of beeps and just pause for a second
    | and beep some more. One time it did 14 and 14, another time it did 6,
    | 22 and 14.
    |
    | This is on a Sony Vaio laptop (PCG-XG29) running Windows ME.
    |
    | Other notes: It will run perfectly thru a Scandisk Standard, with no
    | complaints. However, a Defrag crashes with error DEFRAG006, saying it
    | can not access part of drive. And says to run Scandisk Thorough.
    |
    | WAIT!!! NEWS FLASH!!! The screen changed and it made it to 1,217,913!
    | So apparently the thing is doing SOMETHING. I was thinking of just
    | letting it run all weekend. Does that make sense?
    |
    | Anybody have any idea of what these beeps mean?

    Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic software
    respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard disk is bad or
    not..

    Quantum/Maxtor - PowerMax
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

    Western Digital - Data LifeGuard Tools (DLGDiag)
    http://support.wdc.com/download/

    Hitachi/IBM - Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

    Seagate - SeaTools
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

    Fujitsu - Diagnostic Tool
    http://www.fcpa.com/download/hard-drives/

    Samsung - Disk manager
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/shdiag.htm

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Jan 6, 2006

  3. JJ Jones

    AlmostBob Guest

    that area of your disk is failing, the clusters are difficult to read but
    possibly recoverable with a lot of tries
    Now is a great time (just before crash N burn) to discover the drive
    manufacturers utility programs to find whether it can be saved, or should be
    replaced. at the downloads or support section of the drive makers site

    --
    -
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de
    Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.activescan.com
    Panda online AntiSpyware Scan
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/spyware/test/
    Catalog of removal tools (1)
    Catalog of removal tools (2)
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    Trouble Shooting guide to Windows http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    use
    Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    _

    AlmostBob, Jan 6, 2006