    people make high quality prints of larger size?

    Cheers,

    Norm Strong

    normanstrong, Feb 2, 2004

  2. normanstrong

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "normanstrong"

    >I've looked through all the ink jet printers at Office Max, Office
    >Depot, etc., and non of them make anything wider than 8 1/2". How do
    >people make high quality prints of larger size?

    Canon and Epson make excellent 13" wide printers, like the Epson 1280 and 2200
    models and the Canon S9000 and i9100 (I think I got the right Canon models ...
    I'm sure about the Epsons). You can print on 13x19" paper with either of these
    and Epson offers roll papers for panos.

    Above 13" the printers are much more expensive and most people simply send out
    for larger prints. If you set the files up just right (convert to profile, add
    white space and a border for cutting, size it to 304.8 ppi for example) you can
    get pretty cheap LightJet 5000 16x20's from places like Calypso or WCI, around
    $20 from one of the best labs in the west ... http://www.calypsoinc.com/ or
    http://www.westcoastimaging.com/

    If you want your own printer wider than 13" the new Epson 4000 is shipping in
    March and does 17x22" sheets or 17" wide rolls but it's about $1,800 and on
    back order for a while, most likely ( http://www.inkjetart.com/4000/index.html
    ). Epson also makes excellent professional 24" and 44" wide models using the
    same inks, but these are more like $3,000 and $5,000.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Feb 2, 2004

  3. normanstrong

    Guest

    Norm from Cheers wrote:

    > I've looked through all the ink jet printers at Office Max, Office
    > Depot, etc., and non of them make anything wider than 8 1/2". How do
    > people make high quality prints of larger size?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Norm Strong

    Glue and Staples. What the hell is wrong with you?

    , Feb 2, 2004
  4. normanstrong

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Feb 2, 2004
  5. "normanstrong" <> wrote in message
    > I've looked through all the ink jet printers at Office Max, Office
    > Depot, etc., and non of them make anything wider than 8 1/2". How do
    > people make high quality prints of larger size?

    Professional web-based labs are often cheaper than printing yourself with
    better quality.

    George Preddy, Feb 2, 2004
  6. normanstrong

    Charlie Self Guest

    Norman Strong writes:

    >I've looked through all the ink jet printers at Office Max, Office
    >Depot, etc., and non of them make anything wider than 8 1/2". How do
    >people make high quality prints of larger size?

    Look through photo printers. Office Depot, quick check, descending price
    (highest first) Epson 2200.

    Charlie Self
    "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is
    sure."
    Mark Twain

    Charlie Self, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Hi Norm,

    << How do
    people make high quality prints of larger size? >>

    Give a look at www.photoaccess.com

    Best,

    Conrad
    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad Weiler, Feb 2, 2004
  8. Send the file to a professional lab to make a print ... AND it will last
    better than a home made one.

    Richard in Boston, MA, USA

    Richard Amirault, Feb 2, 2004
  9. > I've looked through all the ink jet printers at Office Max, Office
    > Depot, etc., and non of them make anything wider than 8 1/2". How do
    > people make high quality prints of larger size?

    A professional lab?

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 2, 2004
  10. normanstrong

    Arthur Small Guest

    Arthur Small, Feb 2, 2004
  11. normanstrong

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Rather than an office supply store, try a photo store that is into
    digital. I got my 13 x 17 Canon from a camera store, the biggest in
    town. They are fully into digital and video as well as film cameras.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Feb 2, 2004
  12. normanstrong

    The Wogster Guest

    > Norm from Cheers wrote:

    >I've looked through all the ink jet printers at Office Max, Office
    >Depot, etc., and non of them make anything wider than 8 1/2". How do
    >people make high quality prints of larger size?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Norm Strong

    There are printers that can go wider, but you will not find them at one
    of those stores, they are specialty items (read expensive). Unless you
    do a lot of big prints, your better to use a digital capable lab, to do
    that big print. You also need to balance the cost, ink is expensive,
    photo inkjet paper is expensive, at what point does the cost of ink and
    paper exceed that of using a lab?

    The Wogster, Feb 2, 2004
  13. "normanstrong" <> writes:

    > I've looked through all the ink jet printers at Office Max, Office
    > Depot, etc., and non of them make anything wider than 8 1/2". How do
    > people make high quality prints of larger size?

    I tend to use ezprints.com or other internet printers when doing really large
    prints :)

    However, I was curious and Epson offers the 44" 10600 for only $8,000:

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/WideFormat/WideFormatDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-9961

    HP offers various DesignJets, such as the 24" Designjet 100 series for $1,000:

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236266-12600-236266-82206.html

    and the 36" Designjet 1000 series for $7,500 and $10,000:

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236266-12600-236266-24023.html

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 2, 2004
  14. normanstrong

    Stewy Guest

    "normanstrong" <> wrote in message
    > I've looked through all the ink jet printers at Office Max, Office
    > Depot, etc., and non of them make anything wider than 8 1/2". How do
    > people make high quality prints of larger size?

    Many printers will now accept 13inch (330mm) paper but won't print on the
    full width - the most you can expect is around 297mm or slightly more - say
    310mm (short width of A3). In Japan Canon does make 'Nobi' paper (no border
    paper) with a 'snap-off' border.

    If you use the lighter papers (0.11mm or so) you could try printing on 2
    sheets of A3 yielding a picture around 420mm x 590mm (I'll leave the
    calculations to those non-metric diehards)

    My Canon 6100i A3 printer cost about $220. Any printer capable of larger
    sizes tends to be much (much) more expensive simply because there in little
    demand for these as home printers and printing an A3 picture with a
    3.3megapixel camera will have a PPI (pixels per inch) size of about 143 -
    near the lower limit.
    Until 6 and 8 megapixel cameras become the norm, A2 or B3 size printers will
    remain expensive.

    Stewy, Feb 2, 2004
  15. normanstrong

    VT Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 05:20:34 GMT, "normanstrong"
    <> wrote:

    >I've looked through all the ink jet printers at Office Max, Office
    >Depot, etc., and non of them make anything wider than 8 1/2". How do
    >people make high quality prints of larger size?

    Many use labs to print out larger sizes -

    The Epsons 1280 and 2200 suggested so far - are only 13" wide
    carriages so cannot print wider than that (max size of 13"x19")

    However Epson does have plenty of wide carriage printers at prices
    (MSRP) of $1K and way, way above:

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/WideFormat/WideFormatMain.jsp?BV_UseBV

    --
    Vincent
    remove CLOTHING for e-mail

    http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/
    http://UnknownVT.cjb.net/

    VT, Feb 2, 2004
  16. normanstrong

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I use an Epson 3000 and will eventually go to a 4000. Three are also several
    machines that will go to 13x19 -- but I wouldn't look for them at those
    office stores. Try a photography store like Adorama
    http://www.adoramacamera.com

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 2, 2004
  17. normanstrong

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Epson has the 7600 for "only" about $3000 that will print up to 23" wide.

    Rosita

    HRosita, Feb 2, 2004
  18. HRosita wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Epson has the 7600 for "only" about $3000 that will print up to 23" wide.

    Epson has been saying since last Fall that they will release a 2200 version
    that does 17" wide, but no one's seen it yet.

    Fred

    --
    "...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
    the Ugly)."

    Fred A. Miller, Feb 2, 2004
  19. normanstrong

    Tom Monego Guest

    >However, I was curious and Epson offers the 44" 10600 for only $8,000:
    >
    >http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/WideFormat/WideFormatDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCo

    okie=yes&oid=-9961

    >HP offers various DesignJets, such as the 24" Designjet 100 series for

    $1,000:

    >http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236266-12600-23626

    6-82206.html

    >and the 36" Designjet 1000 series for $7,500 and $10,000:
    >
    >http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236266-12600-23626

    6-24023.html

    >--
    >Michael Meissner
    >email:
    >http://www.the-meissners.org

    Epson and HP have high quality large format printers,
    Epson
    7600 to 24 inches $3000
    9600 to 44 inches $5000
    10600 to 44 inches (production model 3x the speed of the 9600) $7500
    4000 coming in March will be great for 16x20's $1800

    Hp equivalent to Epson
    5500 50 inch (faster than Epsons, but a slightly rougher print) $10000

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Feb 2, 2004
  20. normanstrong

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Fred A. Miller"

    >Epson has been saying since last Fall that they will release a 2200 version
    >that does 17" wide, but no one's seen it yet.

    That's the 4000 and though volume shipments have slipped to late March (I'm on
    a waiting list myself) a few people HAVE seen a pre-production version ...
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epson-4000.shtml

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Feb 2, 2004