    Router back at my house. How can I now also connect my VOIP device? Do I
    have to buy a Wireless Router that will connect both my PC and VOIP device
    to the hotel's existing Wireless Internet Access?

    Deci, Sep 30, 2006

  2. Deci

    David Hettel Guest

    While I haven't tried it personally, I believe that if your computer has a
    wired network port, you could turn ICS on the wireless port and plug your
    VOIP device into the wired port on the computer.

    There are some gotcha, the hotel could be blocking VOIP ports, if so it will
    not work.
    You would be sharing bandwidth with everyone else connecting wirelessly,
    that could mean you have a very poor connection. Chances are the hotel is
    just using one external IP address, so all computers to places outside of
    the hotel appear to be just one computer. So there maybe no way to tell your
    VOIP device that it has a call coming in. You might want to take a look at
    Skype.

    You may need a different kind of cable to connect the VOIP device and your
    computer, it depends if one has a port that will switch into uplink mode.

    Note that not all wireless router can connect to another wireless router,
    but yes this is probably the safest way to go. Then only the wireless router
    would need to be on. But the hotel could still be blocking the ports that
    are needed, and you maybe able to dial out, but not be called.

    --
    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights