    complete all of them before starting the new job in the same line of work.
    I'm scheduled to start the new job on June 15. I would appreciated your
    suggestions. Thank you.

    kfm6, May 14, 2009

  2. kfm6

    Jtyc Guest

    >Is it reasonable
    > to think I would be viable in the job market with just the first three or
    > just MCSE and no degree? I would certainly not stop training, but in the
    > short time alloted, is this reasonable? I will not have the time or money
    > complete all of them before starting the new job in the same line of work.

    Your marketability won't really be based on certifications. (My opinion)
    It's your experience (or who you know of course). The best thing you can
    do is find a job that will challenge you constantly. Something that makes
    you take on new things. The faster you learn and adapt to technology, the
    better off you'll be.

    If your job doesn't allow for that, you'll have to take things on on your
    own.

    Jtyc, May 15, 2009

  3. kfm6

    JohnB Guest

    The more certs you have the more marketable you are. There was a time, when
    there were LOTS of IT jobs, that certs weren't as important. But right now
    they're more important than ever. Employers want to see some type of proof
    that you have the knowledge that you say you have. And whether it's right
    or wrong, they rely on certifications for that.

    But you also need job experience. And some type of college degree would
    help. Remember, right now with the economy the way it is, for even for the
    most basic computer jobs, you're competing against other people with
    bachelor degrees, IT experience AND certs. So the more you have the better.
    A MCSE is a lot of work. But, it will make you much more marketable than
    the A+ or Server+.
    You're not going to be able to get a MCSE in 3 weeks.

    Get all the IT experience you can, even if you have to volunteer your time.
    And get some certs. If you have the time and money, go for the MCSE.

    JohnB, May 15, 2009
  4. kfm6

    Jtyc Guest

    > The more certs you have the more marketable you are. There was a time,
    > when there were LOTS of IT jobs, that certs weren't as important. But
    > right now they're more important than ever. Employers want to see some
    > type of proof that you have the knowledge that you say you have. And
    > whether it's right or wrong, they rely on certifications for that.

    That hasn't been my experience at all. Your certifications can't answer
    interview questions, you have to. And any experienced interviewer can tell
    when someone is quoting a book vs. speaking from real world experience.

    But, this is all my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

    Jtyc, May 15, 2009
  5. "Jtyc" <> wrote in message
    >> The more certs you have the more marketable you are. There was a time,
    >> when there were LOTS of IT jobs, that certs weren't as important. But
    >> right now they're more important than ever. Employers want to see some
    >> type of proof that you have the knowledge that you say you have. And
    >> whether it's right or wrong, they rely on certifications for that.

    > That hasn't been my experience at all. Your certifications can't answer
    > interview questions, you have to.

    But first you have to GET the interview. And if I'm looking at a stack of
    resumes for a job, and I've not already eliminated the candidates for
    obvious reasons like lack of Job Experience, or undocumented lapses in
    employment, or egregarious errors in grammar or spelling on the resume, or
    just a general lack of written communication skills -- then I have to decide
    who gets on the short list to sit in a conference room with me for an hour.

    All other things being equal... the candidate with advanced (and Current!)
    certifications is going to rise to the top of the stack.

    > And any experienced interviewer can tell when someone is quoting a book
    > vs. speaking from real world experience.

    Absolutely! And, every once in a while, I've (unfortunately) discovered that
    the candidate I'm interviewing doesn't really know what the piece of paper
    they hold suggests they should know.

    But to John's point.. it's about *marketability*, and *marketability* is
    what gets you the invitation for an interview so that you can answer those
    questions and demonstrate your exceptional product knowledge and technical
    expertise.

    And, as a personal testimonial -- I've had a lot more doors open up to me
    with MCITP and MCDBA after my name in the past two years than I did when my
    only cert was an MCP on Windows 95 in 1999 when any idiot should have been
    able to get a Y2K job -- even with fifteen years of Unix experience on six
    different platforms prior to that! :)

    So, to that point, you bet I'll keep my certs current -- even if only to
    keep the doors open.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], May 15, 2009
  6. kfm6

    Kline Sphere Guest

    ms certs are a waste of space. anyone who says otherwise is either
    stupid, a brain dump provider or a worthless ms partner.

    experience, and the ability to prove that experience, are all that
    count, ms cert do neither.

    On Thu, 14 May 2009 15:46:01 -0700, kfm6
    <> wrote:

    >I'm new to IT. I have a job change that will allow me to study full time for
    >3-4 weeks. I would like to leave my current line of work. I'm trying to find
    >out whether gaining A+, Server+ and Network+ or MCSE would be the best course
    >of action. Should other courses be taken before MCSE? Although I've dabbled
    >with systems I have no certification nor do I have a degree. Is it reasonable
    >to think I would be viable in the job market with just the first three or
    >just MCSE and no degree? I would certainly not stop training, but in the
    >short time alloted, is this reasonable? I will not have the time or money to
    >complete all of them before starting the new job in the same line of work.
    >I'm scheduled to start the new job on June 15. I would appreciated your
    >suggestions. Thank you.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, May 15, 2009
  7. kfm6

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >The more certs you have the more marketable you are.

    you tools crack me up, lol

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, May 15, 2009
  8. kfm6

    Jtyc Guest

    > ms certs are a waste of space. anyone who says otherwise is either
    > stupid, a brain dump provider or a worthless ms partner.
    >
    > experience, and the ability to prove that experience, are all that
    > count, ms cert do neither.

    They have their place. I got my SharePoint Configuration cert because it
    was a requirement on a contract. I didn't have to study for it though, just
    using the product gives you enough knowledge to pass the test.

    Jtyc, May 15, 2009
  9. kfm6

    Gabe Guest

    There was a time when you could get your foot in the door based on your Uncle
    Joe referring you as a "computer-guy"... but these days are about over imo.

    First you need the certificate to get the interview... then you need the
    experience to pass the interview.

    Also, getting certified is a great way to measure yourself when you are
    inexperienced, so that you can go to your early interviews with confidence.
    Even after being in the industry for years, I still like to see that I can
    pass these tests, particularly when they are on topics I don't regularly see.

    Anyway, if its worthless to you, perhaps its because you just haven't
    figured out how to use it.

    --
    MCSE since 2000
    Systems Integration

    Gabe, May 29, 2009
  10. kfm6

    Gabe Guest

    Get your A+.

    It's a good start and you can get it quickly.

    --
    MCSE since 2000
    Systems Integration

    Gabe, May 29, 2009
  11. kfm6

    PAJ Guest

    On Fri, 15 May 2009 17:51:15 +0100, Kline Sphere <.> wrote:

    >ms certs are a waste of space. anyone who says otherwise is either
    >stinky, a brain fart provider or a worthless cock.

    You seem to be getting confused between the mcse and the mcngp!

    PAJ, May 29, 2009
  12. kfm6

    Jtyc Guest

    > First you need the certificate to get the interview...

    Again, this hasn't been my experience at all.

    > Anyway, if its worthless to you, perhaps its because you just haven't
    > figured out how to use it.

    I went and got my MCSE back in the day because I thought it would increase
    my marketability, turns out it did nothing for me. MS certifications have
    been worthless for the most part, today I only get a certification if a
    contract stipulates it as a requirement.

    Jtyc, Jun 11, 2009