What Digital Projector should I buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Simon Walden, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Simon Walden

    Simon Walden Guest

    My camera club is looking to buy a video projector.

    Do any of you have recommendations for (or against) particular bits of kit?

    I've got as far as must be native XGA, must have wide contrast (but how
    wide?)

    Thanks for your assistance

    Simon Walden

    Vale of Evesham Camera Club

    Email:

    Web: www.EveshamCameraClub.co.uk

    Tel: 01386 750076

    National Exhibition: www.photo2004com

    Simon Walden, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Simon Walden

    per Guest

    Before you buy, ask how much a replacement bulb will set you back, and the
    expected life span of that bulb.
    /per

    per, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Simon Walden

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I have been checking projectors and for me I have decided on the Epson 730c.
    Very good specs. 2000 lumen brightness, LCD technology that is somewhat better
    for pictures and color, three 0.9 (better than 0.7) high aperture LCDs, 400:1
    contrast ration. Native XGA resolution and weighs only 4.4 pounds.

    I think the lamp cost is $450 but as more get on the market the cost will come
    down. Considering that a lamp life is at least 1000 hour, it means you would
    have to use it for 3 hours a day for a year before you need a replacement.
    When my InFocus decided to quit, the lamp was still good. The repair shot told
    me when I decided to get another one, that Epson and NEC projectors were the
    most reliable.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Simon Walden

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "per" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Before you buy, ask how much a replacement bulb will set you back, and the
    > expected life span of that bulb.
    > /per

    I bought 2 VT460 NEC projectors for work and got 2 spare lamps thrown in.
    Excellent projectors they are too.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Simon Walden

    Digitalis Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:57:07 +0000, Simon Walden wrote:

    > My camera club is looking to buy a video projector.
    >
    > Do any of you have recommendations for (or against) particular bits of kit?
    >
    > I've got as far as must be native XGA, must have wide contrast (but how
    > wide?)

    After you make decisions about the kind of projector you want, call a
    representative or two in your area and audition different projectors with
    typical viewing material for your club. Projectors are all different in
    image quality and ergonomics.

    Digitalis, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Simon Walden

    zeitgeist Guest

    > I think the lamp cost is $450 but as more get on the market the cost will

    come
    > down. Considering that a lamp life is at least 1000 hour, it means you

    would
    > have to use it for 3 hours a day for a year before you need a replacement.

    don't count on it. from what I've seen the bulb prices have remained
    relatively stable.

    however they are making them better and they last longer.

    zeitgeist, Jan 25, 2004
  7. "Simon Walden" <> wrote:

    >My camera club is looking to buy a video projector.
    >
    >Do any of you have recommendations for (or against) particular bits of kit?
    >
    >I've got as far as must be native XGA, must have wide contrast (but how
    >wide?)

    Simon,

    you probably want to see high-quality photos on it, so my home
    cinema projector (an InFocus LP290, meanwhile perhaps outdated
    anyway) would not qualify with a contrast of 1 : 400. You
    certainly want something better than 1 : 1000, and some
    projectors in that range are available at affordable prices
    (around $2,000). Of course you can always pay more and get
    better performance for it.

    One crucial point is to be able to darken the room entirely. Of
    course you can never, at today's luminosities, get any really
    high contrast when you have stray light in the room, so this is
    a must.

    The upside is that the luminosity of the projector then hardly
    matters. Anything around 1,000 ANSI lumen is quite sufficient.
    Brighter is better, but if you have a budget, this is the place
    to compromise.

    I wouldn't say that LCD projectors are always better. Mine is of
    the LCD type, and I cannot complain, but a good LPD projector
    can be just as good or better.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jan 25, 2004
  8. Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:

    >The upside is that the luminosity of the projector then hardly
    >matters. Anything around 1,000 ANSI lumen is quite sufficient.
    >Brighter is better, but if you have a budget, this is the place
    >to compromise.

    Addendum: I forgot to mention that, of course, there is a limit
    to the screen size at lower luminosities. 1,000 ANSI lumen are
    sufficient, in a totally dark room, for roughly up to an 8 to 10
    ft wide screen. If the screen is much wider, you need a lot more
    light. Twice the width requires four times the amount of light.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jan 25, 2004
  9. Simon Walden

    Chris Doran Guest

    "zeitgeist" <> wrote in message news:<pPJQb.142091$I06.1359450@attbi_s01>...
    > > I think the lamp cost is $450 but as more get on the market the cost will

    > come
    > > down. Considering that a lamp life is at least 1000 hour, it means you

    > would
    > > have to use it for 3 hours a day for a year before you need a replacement.

    People using them for home TVs will soon clock up that much.

    > don't count on it. from what I've seen the bulb prices have remained
    > relatively stable.

    Agreed. You can sometimes pick them up quite cheaply on eBay.
    Sometimes a dead projector with a good bit of bulb life to go sells
    for less than a new bulb.

    Is there any good reason why these bulbs cost so much?

    Is it like printer cartridges where the manufacturers make their money
    in spares?

    Has anyone tried replacing a bulb in a "used" cradle? Presumably
    they're reasonably standard OHP-like bulbs cemented in place.

    I surfed across a model recently that uses a standard OHP bulb that
    only costs a few $, but foolishly I failed to note the details. Can
    anyone enlighten us?

    Chris

    Chris Doran, Jan 26, 2004
  10. Simon Walden

    HRosita Guest

    >chris_doran wrote:

    >People using them for home TVs will soon clock up that much.

    Hi,

    True, but the original poster said that the projector was for a club. Besides
    for TV Viewing I would buy a SVGA (800x600) projector that you can get for
    $1000.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jan 26, 2004