    Nusat Guest

    What digital compact camera of 5mp will you buy? Why?

    Cheers.
    Nusat, Jul 15, 2004

  2. "Nusat" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What digital compact camera of 5mp will you buy? Why?

    I bought a Nikon 5700 because I wanted the extended zoom range.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Nusat

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <5RsJc.22$>, David J Taylor
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> writes
    >"Nusat" <> wrote in message
    >> What digital compact camera of 5mp will you buy? Why?

    >I bought a Nikon 5700 because I wanted the extended zoom range.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >David

    The new Canon S60 is what I have just bought. 5 MP, 3.6x zoom (=28-100),
    RAW save option, full manual options, intervalometer, remote control.

    After buying the 10D last year, I'm inclined to trust Canon optics and
    image capture quality. Time will tell. Steves Digicams have reviewed
    this camera.
    --
    Alan F Cross
    Alan F Cross, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Nusat

    Sabineellen Guest

    Just bought the HP 945 and I'm pleased with it. I would buy it again.
    Sabineellen, Jul 15, 2004
  5. Nusat

    Nusat Guest

    > >I bought a Nikon 5700 because I wanted the extended zoom range.
    > The new Canon S60 is what I have just bought. 5 MP, 3.6x zoom (=28-100),

    Those cameras are better than a Canon IXUS 500?

    What differences a Canon S60 from a Canon S50?

    Cheers.
    Nusat, Jul 15, 2004
  6. 5M with RAW?

    I will pop over and have a look at the review

    This is much appreciated Alan

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 15, 2004
  7. :-( sulking

    this meets my specs in every respect bar one :-(

    i have a preference for AA batteries

    ah well - i suppose i'll just have to be patient

    Arte Phacting, Jul 15, 2004
  8. Nusat

    Roger Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:11:36 +0200, "Nusat" <> wrote:

    >What digital compact camera of 5mp will you buy? Why?
    >
    >Cheers.

    Others have mentioned the Canon s60. I've had this camera for about a
    month now and I'm thoroughly impressed with the lens - that's my
    primary reason for buying this particular model, the 28mm lens.
    However, the control layout is also impressive and I find it to mimic
    SLR type controls. It's very intuitive. It will be a travel camera and
    the one I use for digital documentation and sharing. My primary
    cameras are still film. However, for out and about stuff around home
    base, this has replaced my Contax T3 as an always carry camera.

    The batteries are compact and it's easy to carry a second. The charger
    is a single unit that has a plug mounted directly, no cords to keep
    track of.

    Regards,
    Roger
    Roger, Jul 15, 2004
  9. Cheers Roger

    I am thinking along the lines of S60, G5 or x530

    dunno which to go for but I want to make a half-step, step upgrade from my
    present didgi

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 15, 2004
  10. Nusat

    Sabineellen Guest

    >Others have mentioned the Canon s60. I've had this camera for about a
    >month now and I'm thoroughly impressed with the lens - that's my
    >primary reason for buying this particular model, the 28mm lens.
    >However, the control layout is also impressive and I find it to mimic
    >SLR type controls. It's very intuitive. It will be a travel camera and
    >the one I use for digital documentation and sharing. My primary
    >cameras are still film. However, for out and about stuff around home
    >base, this has replaced my Contax T3 as an always carry camera.
    >
    >The batteries are compact and it's easy to carry a second. The charger
    >is a single unit that has a plug mounted directly, no cords to keep
    >track of.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Roger

    Hi again, Roger

    How big is the s60 compared to the Contax T3? (I assume the contax T3 is about
    the size of my Minox so it'll give me an idea). Also, how many aperture
    settings do you get in manual control?
    Sabineellen, Jul 15, 2004
  11. Nusat

    Roger Guest

    On 15 Jul 2004 17:13:36 GMT, (Sabineellen) wrote:

    >Hi again, Roger
    >
    >How big is the s60 compared to the Contax T3? (I assume the contax T3 is about
    >the size of my Minox so it'll give me an idea). Also, how many aperture
    >settings do you get in manual control?

    Interestingly enough, I have them both right here in my survival bag.

    Width[left to right] x Height[top to bottom] x Depth[front to back]

    Contax T3: W:10.5 x H:6.4 x D:3 cm
    slight 2-3mm addition to depth for eyepiece cushion
    lens extension about 2 cm
    lens fits flush on retraction
    aperture preferred settings: f2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16
    manual focus distances: AF, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8,. 0.9,
    1.0, 1.1, 1.3, 1.5, 2, 3, 5, 10, INF (meters)

    Canon s60: W:11.5 x H:5.5 x D:3.9 cm
    lens extension about 3.5 cm at 28mm (longest extension)
    aperture preferred setting: f2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 with in between
    settings in 0.5 or 0.3 eV settings at 28mm setting. At 100mm setting
    the minimum aperture is f5.3.
    manual focus is via LCD scale with markings of INF, 10ft, 5ft,
    20in, 10in, 6in
    the s60 overloads my shirt pocket, although it does get dumped
    there when I need an extra hand. I think the s60 would ride nicely in
    a belt bag but I don't have one that I like yet. Waiting for extra
    battery and additional memory before I decide.

    Regards,
    Roger
    Roger, Jul 15, 2004
  12. Nusat

    Sabineellen Guest

    > I think the s60 would ride nicely in
    >a belt bag but I don't have one that I like yet. Waiting for extra
    >battery and additional memory before I decide.

    I bought this one today for my HP 945, which turned out to be bigger than i
    thought, it'll actually fit in two HP945s inside it, but it's okay 'cos i can
    fit the HP 2210 in it too, and some two sets of 4 AA batteries.
    Sabineellen, Jul 15, 2004
  13. Nusat

    Sabineellen Guest

    >I bought this one today for my HP 945, which turned out to be bigger than i
    >thought, it'll actually fit in two HP945s inside it, but it's okay 'cos i can
    >fit the HP 2210 in it too, and some two sets of 4 AA batteries.

    Eh... forgot the link

    http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/dres/dres40aw.html
    Sabineellen, Jul 15, 2004
  14. In article <>, "Nusat" <>
    wrote:

    > > >I bought a Nikon 5700 because I wanted the extended zoom range.

    > > The new Canon S60 is what I have just bought. 5 MP, 3.6x zoom (=28-100),

    > Those cameras are better than a Canon IXUS 500?

    I think the S60 is 'better' than the Ixus 500 because the S60 has:
    - 28 mm wide angle
    - Larger Aperture range
    - Larger LCD viewer
    - More manual settings

    But if you insist on a smaller, lighter camera, than the 500 is your
    choice.

    > What differences a Canon S60 from a Canon S50?

    Feature
    PowerShot S50
    PowerShot S60

    Lens zoom power