What digital compact camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MrSL, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. MrSL

    MrSL Guest

    Hi there,

    I am looking for a digital compact camera, I have seen the following ones:

    Canon IXUS 430
    Canon Powershot A-80
    Sony DSC-P12
    Casio EXILIM Zoom EX-Z40
    KODAK DX4530

    Is there any other compact camera to add on the list? 4 - 5 mp range.

    I appreciate:

    User friendly
    Lens
    No known failures
    Weight and dimensions
    Power consumption
    Internal storage capacity (even just 16 mb)
    Price
    Macro capacity
    Whatever else :p

    So which camera do you think will fit my demands better?

    I hope you can help me!

    Cheers.
    MrSL, Jun 26, 2004

  2. MrSL

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    I recommend you try some of the review sites: Steve's; Dpreview;
    Megapixel; etc.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 26, 2004

  3. MrSL

    Don R Guest

    Kodak DX6440. Great camera. More overrides than the DX4530.

    Don R, Jun 26, 2004
  4. MrSL

    Nusat Guest

    "Don R" <> escribió en el mensaje
    > Kodak DX6440. Great camera. More overrides than the DX4530.

    What you mean by more overrides?

    That DX6440 is better than the other choices I've posted before?

    Thanks!
    Nusat, Jun 27, 2004
  5. MrSL

    bagal Guest

    Ok - I thought someone would have mentioned it already

    I see that the Polaroid X530 with Foveon sensor is listed in UK catalogues
    :)

    If you are new to the forum you may not realise the humour if I rename the
    camera as the Paranoid X530 - it seems to be a consequence of using the
    dreaded "F" word - a 6 letter one in this case.

    There is another "F" word that is missing from your list - this time it is a
    4-letter onw, Fuji (or Fuji FinePix) These are pretty good too IMHO

    I would like to have a go on the Pranoid X530 to see if the claims & counter
    claims hold (no explnation given here)

    As for digital SLR (DSLR) I think I'll wait a year or 2 for further
    evolutionary developments in sensor-lens-software-firmware enhancement.

    If I have anything more to contribute it is: to get the most out of your
    digital images you will need some software too. There is no need to pay 2
    or 3 times the cost of your camera on industry standard software package
    (BTW if digital imagery really does take off I'll expect to see a reduction
    in PS CS due to wider consumer base switching from pro- industry- commerce-
    base to include home users & amateurs in a non-commercial setup. I wonder
    if Adobe reads this NG?)

    Try IrfanView (a freebie by download or magazine cover disk), or software
    from JASC, Roxio and I daresay many others as the spend on digital image
    processing software increases)

    Now, how about a non-commercial license from Adobe? restricted to homeusers
    in a non-cemmercial basis? Or am I far too naive?

    das B

    ps - if you have a PC running Windows XP it makes things altogether easier
    on the software-hardware-camera (-cardreader) linages. If not - wait until
    Windows 64 bit appears - probably later thius year, runs on 64 bit chips

    dB

    bagal, Jun 27, 2004
  6. MrSL

    Don R Guest

    Rather than just automatic settings, you can adjust the exposures lighter or
    darker, in those auto settings when need be. Look at the Kodak web site for
    the specs. You will be impressed. It is a really great camera for the money.
    Colors are brilliant, sharp.

    Don R, Jun 27, 2004
  7. MrSL

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Mr SL,

    Kodak also has a CX7530, a DX7630, and an LS753 These are all 5 or 6
    megapixel models.

    You can check them out at http://www.kodak.com/go/digitalcameras

    Should you have any questions on them after review, let me know. I am
    around most of the time.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jul 1, 2004
  8. MrSL

    Anoni Moose Guest

    (MrSL) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am looking for a digital compact camera, I have seen the following ones:
    >
    > Canon IXUS 430
    > Canon Powershot A-80
    > Sony DSC-P12
    > Casio EXILIM Zoom EX-Z40
    > KODAK DX4530

    I would suggest the Sony DSC-P100. Just got one. 5.1 mp

    > Is there any other compact camera to add on the list? 4 - 5 mp range.
    >
    > I appreciate:
    >
    > User friendly

    It's that

    > Lens

    Carl Zeiss designed lens

    > No known failures

    None yet :)

    > Weight and dimensions

    6.5 oz with battery and memory card. And small.

    > Power consumption

    lasts forever on one battery charge. Will last for
    360 shots assuming one takes one photo every 30 seconds
    and every other photo uses the flash. That's three hours
    of continuous shooting. And that's with the LCD on.

    > Internal storage capacity (even just 16 mb)

    We've a 1-Gigabyte card in ours. Comes with a puny 32mb.

    > Price

    $400 list

    > Macro capacity

    so-so. Good down to several inches at best I think. Our
    old Nikon 950 (now retired) went down to about half an inch.

    Mike
    Anoni Moose, Jul 1, 2004