    Secondly why does the strength of connection vary so wildly between 56mbps
    and usually 11mbps? There are no changes to objects in the way that
    influence this in this house.

    Gavin, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Hi

    Changing channel can help avoiding noise and conflict with other Signals
    that transmit on the 2.4GHz band.

    Your Wireless might fluctuate because of Electronic noise or and if it close
    to the end its function distance.

    http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html

    Try all the channels and stick with the one that would provide the best
    results.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 10, 2006

  3. Gavin

    __spc__ Guest

    "Gavin" <> wrote in message
    > My netgear router has automatically set itself up to transmit on channel
    > 11. What difference does changing the channel make?
    >
    > Secondly why does the strength of connection vary so wildly between 56mbps
    > and usually 11mbps? There are no changes to objects in the way that
    > influence this in this house.

    Try either 6 or 1 - channels on completely non-overlapping frequencies.
    Your neighbours might have WiFI on channel 11 - this will interfere with
    your signal, as will cordless phones, microwaves, baby monitors etc.

    __spc__, Feb 11, 2006