    (i.e. mostly off) after the initial loading frenzy.

    Why the difference?

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Jimmy Dean

    Fred is back Guest

    Jimmy Dean <> wrote:

    > Two PCs, both with XP Home, 256 MB RAM and your typical 80 GB HD (8 ms 8
    > MB)

    Specious.

    > Both have only ZoneAlarm and AVG7 as startup items (msconfig)

    When, allegedly?

    > PC#1 has an Athlon 1400 MHz CPU - WinXP loads in under a minute PC#2 has
    > a Celeron 2.

    I see that you're still playing the parrot, Jimmy Dean

    > 4 GHz - WinXP takes almost 3 minutes to load Loading time from power off
    > state - measured from power on to time when both ZA and AVG tray items
    > appear, and harddisk light settles (i.

    In an hour or so.

    > e.

    So why are you making off-topic posts, Jimmy Dean?

    > mostly off) after the initial loading frenzy.

    I see that you're still playing the parrot, Jimmy Dean

    > Why the difference?

    Let me ask the questions, ok?

    Fred is back, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Jimmy Dean

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    > Two PCs, both with XP Home, 256 MB RAM and your typical 80 GB HD (8 ms
    > 8 MB). Both have only ZoneAlarm and AVG7 as startup items (msconfig).
    >
    > PC#1 has an Athlon 1400 MHz CPU - WinXP loads in under a minute
    >
    > PC#2 has a Celeron 2.4 GHz - WinXP takes almost 3 minutes to load

    > when both ZA and AVG tray items appear, and harddisk light settles
    > (i.e. mostly off) after the initial loading frenzy.
    >
    > Why the difference?
    >
    > jd

    Could be due to a number of things - and a fairer time is that from the time
    the OS starts loading, since some systems have a number of BIOS states to
    check before the OS is involved (add-on IDE cards/SCSI cards/AGP.....)

    That said, most likely is that you have driver conflicts which take some
    time to resolve - or you have a bad set of drivers on one machine. (or you
    have malware fighting to get control!)

    Create a bootlog on the 'slow' machine - see what it can tell you.

    Check out the Device Manage both in Normal and in Safe Mode, and see what
    that tells you

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jul 3, 2005
  4. Jimmy Dean

    Darren Guest

    Im gona top post because im lazy :) but anyway, go to start> run and type
    services.msc - i had a random one in my list a few weeks ago that caused my
    machine to take an extra 3 minutes to load! :( Also check the event logs (in
    administartive tools) for anything that is having a problem loading- let us
    know how you get on :)

    FingAZ.

    Darren, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Jimmy Dean

    Fred is back Guest

    Darren <dalgibbard@**remove**blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > Im gona top post because im lazy [IDIOTICON] but anyway, go to start>
    > run and type services.

    Which way is start run?

    > msc - i had a random one in my list a few weeks ago that caused my
    > machine to take an extra 3 minutes to load!

    More like a lot.

    > [IDIOTICON] Also check the event logs (in administartive tools) for
    > anything that is having a problem loading- let us know how you get on
    > [IDIOTICON] FingAZ.

    We all have problems.

    Fred is back, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Jimmy Dean

    Darren Guest

    "Fred is back" <74843278@508478345.892> wrote in message
    > Darren <dalgibbard@**remove**blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > Im gona top post because im lazy [IDIOTICON] but anyway, go to start>
    > > run and type services.

    > Which way is start run?

    Are you completely brainless?

    > > msc - i had a random one in my list a few weeks ago that caused my
    > > machine to take an extra 3 minutes to load!

    > More like a lot.

    Nope, it was just the one. And i think that i would know, considering its my
    computer. Your excuses for posting are getting worse.

    > > [IDIOTICON] Also check the event logs (in administartive tools) for
    > > anything that is having a problem loading- let us know how you get on
    > > [IDIOTICON] FingAZ.

    > We all have problems.

    Nope, just you.

    Darren, Jul 3, 2005
  7. Jimmy Dean

    Darren Guest

    Darren <dalgibbard@**remove**blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > Are you completely brainless?

    Whether I'm completely brainless or not is my secret.

    > Nope, it was just the one.

    Why not?

    > And i think that i would know, considering its my computer.

    Are you sure you believe that you would know?

    > Your excuses for posting are getting worse.

    If you were more careful, you wouldn't have to make excuses.

    > Nope, just you.

    Why not?

    Darren, Jul 3, 2005
  8. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:45:33 +0000 (UTC), "Noel Paton"
    <> wrote:
    >Could be due to a number of things - and a fairer time is that from the time
    >the OS starts loading, since some systems have a number of BIOS states to
    >check before the OS is involved (add-on IDE cards/SCSI cards/AGP.....)

    Fair enuf

    >That said, most likely is that you have driver conflicts which take some
    >time to resolve - or you have a bad set of drivers on one machine. (or you
    >have malware fighting to get control!)

    Both PCs are clean of malware. Device Manager shows no conflicts.
    There are no obvious symptoms otherwise, once up, both PCs perform
    quite well.

    >Create a bootlog on the 'slow' machine - see what it can tell you.
    >
    >Check out the Device Manage both in Normal and in Safe Mode, and see what
    >that tells you

    Will do

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jul 3, 2005
  9. Jimmy Dean

    Vanguard Guest

    "Darren" <d4lg1bb4rd@**r3m0v3**blv3y0nd3r.c0.vk> wrote in message
    <snip - Darren's battle of wits with the witless>

    You're arguing with a known troll.

    Vanguard, Jul 3, 2005
  10. On 7/3/2005 9:26 AM or thereabouts, Vanguard appears, somewhat
    unbelievably, to have opined:

    > "Darren" <d4lg1bb4rd@**r3m0v3**blv3y0nd3r.c0.vk> wrote in message
    > <snip - Darren's battle of wits with the witless>
    >
    > You're arguing with a known troll.

    And not even a very intelligent one.

    --
    I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

    Dennis Turner, Jul 3, 2005
  11. Jimmy Dean

    Thaqalain Guest

    How can I create a bootlog on my 'slow' machine?

    How can I check the event logs (in
    administartive tools) for anything that is having a problem loading.

    Pls explain further.I have saved services.msc log,but don't know where
    is wrong.

    Thaqalain, Jul 3, 2005
  12. Jimmy Dean

    Thaqalain Guest

    How can I create a boot log.

    Thaqalain, Jul 3, 2005
  13. In news:eek:, Jimmy Dean
    <> first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing
    was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and
    then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed
    fingers to keyboard for this:
    > Two PCs, both with XP Home, 256 MB RAM and your typical 80 GB HD (8 ms
    > 8 MB). Both have only ZoneAlarm and AVG7 as startup items (msconfig).
    >
    > PC#1 has an Athlon 1400 MHz CPU - WinXP loads in under a minute
    >
    > PC#2 has a Celeron 2.4 GHz - WinXP takes almost 3 minutes to load

    > when both ZA and AVG tray items appear, and harddisk light settles
    > (i.e. mostly off) after the initial loading frenzy.
    >
    > Why the difference?

    Depends on two things usually ... (1) BIOS settings and (2) Start up items
    in Windows.

    An old PC of mine had a BIOS setting that ran a memory check everytime at
    startup and it added easily 3 minutes onto what was already a 1½ minute
    start. Each time I'd boot up I'd have to hit ESC to kill the memory check
    until I found the setting int he BIOS.

    And, of course, the more that loads in Windows during startup is always a
    determining factor. The more tray icons you see, the longer it will take to
    load. You can go to http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/ and grab a small
    program that checks your startup menu called:

    StartupList : A simple tool that lists all and every auto starting program
    on your system. You might be surprised what it finds, this is way better
    than Msconfig. Commonly used to troubleshoot malfunctioning systems,
    trojan/viral infections, new spyware/malware breed and the likes.
    Currently at version: 1.52.1

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jul 3, 2005
  14. Jimmy Dean

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Noel Paton" <> wrote:

    >Create a bootlog on the 'slow' machine - see what it can tell you.

    XP Bootlogs are pretty much useless for diagnosing delays as there is
    no event time information recorded for the log entries, and only the
    completion of the event is logged.

    If you do an item by item comparison of the two logs it will show you
    that some items were being loaded on one machine but not on the other,
    and these might be relevant to the slower startup.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Jul 3, 2005
  15. Jimmy Dean

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Thaqalain" <> wrote:

    >How can I create a bootlog on my 'slow' machine?
    >
    >How can I check the event logs (in
    >administartive tools) for anything that is having a problem loading.
    >
    >Pls explain further.I have saved services.msc log,but don't know where
    >is wrong.

    When you turn on the computer bring up the Windows XP Startup Menu by
    rapidly tapping the F8 key until the menu shows. (If the Windows XP
    Startup Logo shows first you either did not start tapping soon enough
    or were tapping too slowly, and missed it. Shut down and try again.)

    The Startup Menu includes an item to create a bootlog.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell, Jul 3, 2005
  16. Jimmy Dean

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "Noel Paton" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Create a bootlog on the 'slow' machine - see what it can tell you.
    >>

    > XP Bootlogs are pretty much useless for diagnosing delays as there is
    > no event time information recorded for the log entries, and only the
    > completion of the event is logged.
    >
    > If you do an item by item comparison of the two logs it will show you
    > that some items were being loaded on one machine but not on the other,
    > and these might be relevant to the slower startup.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks for the reminder, Ron (shows how often I run a bootlog in XP, doesn't
    it?<g>)

    Noel Paton, Jul 3, 2005
  17. Jimmy Dean

    Miles Ahead Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:14:20 +1000, Jimmy Dean <> wrote:

    >Why the difference?

    I'm not sure but this freeware should help:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/dforce/showdoc.php?doc=txp_about

    TuneXP 1.5

    There's an option to defrag bootup files. But the big performance
    boost I find is under Memory and File System check Enhance
    NTFS Performance(if you are running NTFS file system that is.)
    This speeds up NTFS by skipping updating the "last accessed"
    time stamp on files. Unless you're running a database server
    or something you prolly don't need to update "last accessed"
    every time you read a file. Just checking that one option produced
    a visibly faster responsiveness on both my XP machines!

    After tuning with this app I notice bootup and shutdown are faster
    and smoother. The only thing is under Hardware don't check
    Enable UDMA-66 if you have a newer machine or you'll get an
    error(doesn't hurt anything just produces an error dialog) because
    UDMA-100 and faster wasn't around when TuneXP was written.
    I'm sure in v. 2.0 they'll update that option.

    Also you might want to check a startup program to make sure there's
    no crap being started up in the registry. But for 256 MB ram 3 minutes
    doesn't sound all that outrageous. So it may just need a tuning.

    Miles Ahead, Jul 3, 2005
  18. Jimmy Dean

    willoughby Guest

    Jimmy Dean wrote:
    > Two PCs, both with XP Home, 256 MB RAM and your typical 80 GB HD (8 ms
    > 8 MB). Both have only ZoneAlarm and AVG7 as startup items (msconfig).
    >
    > PC#1 has an Athlon 1400 MHz CPU - WinXP loads in under a minute
    >
    > PC#2 has a Celeron 2.4 GHz - WinXP takes almost 3 minutes to load

    > when both ZA and AVG tray items appear, and harddisk light settles
    > (i.e. mostly off) after the initial loading frenzy.
    >
    > Why the difference?
    >
    > jd

    Probably because it is a Celeron proccessor and doesn't have the power
    to load to much faster.

    willoughby, Jul 4, 2005
  19. Jimmy Dean

    Noel Paton Guest

    "willoughby" <> wrote in message
    > Probably because it is a Celeron proccessor and doesn't have the power to
    > load to much faster.

    Pure supposition - and total rubbish!

    The target for Win XP was to get from end-of-POST to 'usable OS' in 45
    seconds for any clean install on any system within the 'System
    Requirements' - MS pretty much managed that (although there are exceptions).

    A 2.4GHz Celeron should sail through the boot process without problems
    unless they are induced by other hardware on the system.

    Noel Paton, Jul 4, 2005
  20. Jimmy Dean

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Noel Paton" <> wrote in message

    > "willoughby" <> wrote in message
    >> Probably because it is a Celeron proccessor and doesn't have the power to
    >> load to much faster.

    > Pure supposition - and total rubbish!
    >
    > The target for Win XP was to get from end-of-POST to 'usable OS' in 45
    > seconds for any clean install on any system within the 'System
    > Requirements' - MS pretty much managed that (although there are
    > exceptions).

    Never seen one that didn't! Even my old PII 300 MHz and an AMD K6/III-450
    with a clean install whizzed through to a usable desktop that fast. It
    wasn't until adding things like AV and apps that it started slowing down.

    > A 2.4GHz Celeron should sail through the boot process without problems
    > unless they are induced by other hardware on the system.

    Exactly. Or software, or settings. One I ran into at work was a shared
    network folder error - resolution of that took almost 5 minutes every time
    the user rebooted. When that non-existent shared folder wasn't trying to map
    itself every time the computer was started, it booted just fine again.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 4, 2005