What day of the week is Jan 1st 1,000,000AD ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trevor Smith, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Trevor Smith

    Trevor Smith Guest

    Insomniacs have some strange thoughts at 4am; at least I did, this
    morning...

    Ok, you *can* just extrapolate the Gregorian calendar - but that isn't
    completely accurate and will probably be superseded by something more
    accurate in the next million years! A little research shows that the USSR
    actually had a more accurate calendar than the Gregorian (which would only
    make a difference over 1000's of years) and of course astronomers keep
    adding in 'leap seconds' now and then, to allow for variations in the speed
    of rotation of the Earth (better known as a 'day'!) - but they'd mount up
    over a million years, wouldn't they.

    Assuming an 'accurate' calendar (which I define as one which keeps the
    winter solstice for the Northern hemisphere in December in perpetuity) is
    adopted within the next 1000 years, what day of the week IS Jan 1st
    1,000,000AD? Does the question even have a meaning?

    Trevor.

    PS at least I didn't ask a *difficult* question like "what day of the week
    was Jan 1st 1,000,000 BCE ?!!

    Trevor Smith, Nov 4, 2003

  2. On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:02:24 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind boggled
    at the following statement by Trevor Smith in message

    snip
    > Assuming an 'accurate' calendar (which I define as one which keeps the
    > winter solstice for the Northern hemisphere in December in perpetuity) is
    > adopted within the next 1000 years, what day of the week IS Jan 1st
    > 1,000,000AD? Does the question even have a meaning?
    >
    > Trevor.
    >
    > PS at least I didn't ask a *difficult* question like "what day of the week
    > was Jan 1st 1,000,000 BCE ?!!

    Somehow I doubt that the succesors to the human race, which in all
    likelihood will probably be cockroaches, will really care what day of the
    week January 1st is in 1,000,000 A.D. :)

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    No of SETI units returned: 2280

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Trevor Smith

    Trevor Smith Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:02:24 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind

    boggled
    > at the following statement by Trevor Smith in message
    >
    > snip
    > > Assuming an 'accurate' calendar (which I define as one which keeps the
    > > winter solstice for the Northern hemisphere in December in perpetuity)

    is
    > > adopted within the next 1000 years, what day of the week IS Jan 1st
    > > 1,000,000AD? Does the question even have a meaning?
    > >
    > > Trevor.
    > >
    > > PS at least I didn't ask a *difficult* question like "what day of the

    week
    > > was Jan 1st 1,000,000 BCE ?!!
    > >

    > Somehow I doubt that the succesors to the human race, which in all
    > likelihood will probably be cockroaches, will really care what day of the
    > week January 1st is in 1,000,000 A.D. :)

    Good answer - philosophical - along the lines of 'does a falling tree in
    the middle of the wood make a sound, if there's no-one round to hear it'.
    But perhaps a highly evolved descendant cockroach archaeologist might ask
    the question?

    Trevor

    Trevor Smith, Nov 4, 2003
  4. Trevor Smith

    trout Guest

    Trevor Smith wrote:

    <snip>

    > Assuming an 'accurate' calendar (which I define as one which keeps the
    > winter solstice for the Northern hemisphere in December in
    > perpetuity) is adopted within the next 1000 years, what day of the
    > week IS Jan 1st 1,000,000AD? Does the question even have a meaning?
    >
    > Trevor.

    "troutday". To be universally adopted in May, 2024 as the correct
    designation for *every* day of the week; following my successful
    campaign for Planetary Despot.
    Prepare now for a viciously better Tomorrow.
    --
    "But it would be nice if you tried to act surprised at the official
    announcement."

    trout, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Trevor Smith

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Trevor Smith said:

    > Insomniacs have some strange thoughts at 4am; at least I did, this
    > morning...
    >
    > Ok, you *can* just extrapolate the Gregorian calendar - but that isn't
    > completely accurate and will probably be superseded by something more
    > accurate in the next million years! A little research shows that the USSR
    > actually had a more accurate calendar than the Gregorian (which would only
    > make a difference over 1000's of years) and of course astronomers keep
    > adding in 'leap seconds' now and then, to allow for variations in the speed
    > of rotation of the Earth (better known as a 'day'!) - but they'd mount up
    > over a million years, wouldn't they.
    >
    > Assuming an 'accurate' calendar (which I define as one which keeps the
    > winter solstice for the Northern hemisphere in December in perpetuity) is
    > adopted within the next 1000 years, what day of the week IS Jan 1st
    > 1,000,000AD? Does the question even have a meaning?
    >
    > Trevor.
    >
    > PS at least I didn't ask a *difficult* question like "what day of the week
    > was Jan 1st 1,000,000 BCE ?!!

    1,000,000 x 365 days, plus 250,000 days, minus 365 days, divide the total by 7

    if the resulting number ends with the following fractions :-
    ..142857142 = Monday
    ..285714285 = Tuesday
    ..428571428 = Wednesday
    ..571428571 = Thursday
    ..714285714 = Friday
    ..857142857 = Saturday
    ..0 = Sunday

    Ralph Mann, Nov 4, 2003
  6. Trevor Smith

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Ralph Mann said:

    > Trevor Smith said:
    >
    >> Insomniacs have some strange thoughts at 4am; at least I did, this
    >> morning...
    >>
    >> Ok, you *can* just extrapolate the Gregorian calendar - but that isn't
    >> completely accurate and will probably be superseded by something more
    >> accurate in the next million years! A little research shows that the USSR
    >> actually had a more accurate calendar than the Gregorian (which would only
    >> make a difference over 1000's of years) and of course astronomers keep
    >> adding in 'leap seconds' now and then, to allow for variations in the speed
    >> of rotation of the Earth (better known as a 'day'!) - but they'd mount up
    >> over a million years, wouldn't they.
    >>
    >> Assuming an 'accurate' calendar (which I define as one which keeps the
    >> winter solstice for the Northern hemisphere in December in perpetuity) is
    >> adopted within the next 1000 years, what day of the week IS Jan 1st
    >> 1,000,000AD? Does the question even have a meaning?
    >>
    >> Trevor.
    >>
    >> PS at least I didn't ask a *difficult* question like "what day of the week
    >> was Jan 1st 1,000,000 BCE ?!!

    > 1,000,000 x 365 days, plus 250,000 days, minus 365 days, divide the total by 7

    Sorry, that should be minus 366 days.

    Ralph Mann, Nov 4, 2003
  7. Trevor Smith

    Trevor Smith Guest

    > 1,000,000 x 365 days, plus 250,000 days, minus 365 days, divide the total

    by 7

    > if the resulting number ends with the following fractions :-
    > .142857142 = Monday
    > .285714285 = Tuesday
    > .428571428 = Wednesday
    > .571428571 = Thursday
    > .714285714 = Friday
    > .857142857 = Saturday
    > .0 = Sunday

    Good grief - that's the Julian calendar! Where have you been for the last
    400 years?

    Trevor

    Trevor Smith, Nov 4, 2003
  8. Trevor Smith

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Trevor Smith said:

    >> 1,000,000 x 365 days, plus 250,000 days, minus 365 days, divide the total by
    >> 7
    >>
    >> if the resulting number ends with the following fractions :-
    >> .142857142 = Monday
    >> .285714285 = Tuesday
    >> .428571428 = Wednesday
    >> .571428571 = Thursday
    >> .714285714 = Friday
    >> .857142857 = Saturday
    >> .0 = Sunday
    >>

    > Good grief - that's the Julian calendar! Where have you been for the last
    > 400 years?
    >
    > Trevor

    I can only calculate using an existing calendar, as I don't know what will be
    created in the future.
    It took me a few seconds to work out the formula, so let's see you have a go now
    ;-)

    Ralph Mann, Nov 4, 2003
  9. Trevor Smith

    Trevor Smith Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Trevor Smith wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > Assuming an 'accurate' calendar (which I define as one which keeps the
    > > winter solstice for the Northern hemisphere in December in
    > > perpetuity) is adopted within the next 1000 years, what day of the
    > > week IS Jan 1st 1,000,000AD? Does the question even have a meaning?
    > >
    > > Trevor.

    > "troutday". To be universally adopted in May, 2024 as the correct
    > designation for *every* day of the week; following my successful
    > campaign for Planetary Despot.
    > Prepare now for a viciously better Tomorrow.
    > --
    > "But it would be nice if you tried to act surprised at the official
    > announcement."

    I'll try.

    Trevor

    Trevor Smith, Nov 4, 2003
  10. Trevor Smith

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Ralph Mann said:

    > Trevor Smith said:
    >
    >>> 1,000,000 x 365 days, plus 250,000 days, minus 365 days, divide the total by
    >>> 7
    >>>
    >>> if the resulting number ends with the following fractions :-
    >>> .142857142 = Monday
    >>> .285714285 = Tuesday
    >>> .428571428 = Wednesday
    >>> .571428571 = Thursday
    >>> .714285714 = Friday
    >>> .857142857 = Saturday
    >>> .0 = Sunday
    >>>

    >> Good grief - that's the Julian calendar! Where have you been for the last
    >> 400 years?
    >>
    >> Trevor

    > I can only calculate using an existing calendar, as I don't know what will be
    > created in the future.
    > It took me a few seconds to work out the formula, so let's see you have a go
    > now ;-)

    Besides, there will probably only ever be 7 days in a week, so regardless of how
    calendars are recalulated to compensate, whether with a leap year every 2 years
    or a leap century, or even a leap millennium, ther important calculation is the
    "divide by 7".

    Ralph Mann, Nov 4, 2003
  11. Trevor Smith

    Just Taylor Guest

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:07:22 -0000, "Ralph Mann" <>
    wrote:

    >Trevor Smith said:
    >
    >>> 1,000,000 x 365 days, plus 250,000 days, minus 365 days, divide the total by
    >>> 7
    >>>
    >>> if the resulting number ends with the following fractions :-
    >>> .142857142 = Monday
    >>> .285714285 = Tuesday
    >>> .428571428 = Wednesday
    >>> .571428571 = Thursday
    >>> .714285714 = Friday
    >>> .857142857 = Saturday
    >>> .0 = Sunday
    >>>

    >> Good grief - that's the Julian calendar! Where have you been for the last
    >> 400 years?
    >>
    >> Trevor

    >I can only calculate using an existing calendar, as I don't know what will be
    >created in the future.
    >It took me a few seconds to work out the formula, so let's see you have a go now

    So what's the freaking answer???? Will the bank be open or not?

    --
    Taylor

    Just Taylor, Nov 4, 2003
  12. Trevor Smith

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Just Taylor said:

    > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:07:22 -0000, "Ralph Mann" <>
    > wrote:

    >>> Good grief - that's the Julian calendar! Where have you been for the last
    >>> 400 years?
    >>>
    >>> Trevor

    >> I can only calculate using an existing calendar, as I don't know what will be
    >> created in the future.
    >> It took me a few seconds to work out the formula, so let's see you have a go
    >> now

    > So what's the freaking answer???? Will the bank be open or not?

    Tuesday.
    365,249,635 days divided by 7
    = 52178519.28
    --------------^^

    Ralph Mann, Nov 4, 2003
  13. Trevor Smith

    Trevor Smith Guest

    "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in message
    > Trevor Smith said:
    >
    > >> 1,000,000 x 365 days, plus 250,000 days, minus 365 days, divide the

    total by
    > >> 7
    > >>
    > >> if the resulting number ends with the following fractions :-
    > >> .142857142 = Monday
    > >> .285714285 = Tuesday
    > >> .428571428 = Wednesday
    > >> .571428571 = Thursday
    > >> .714285714 = Friday
    > >> .857142857 = Saturday
    > >> .0 = Sunday
    > >>

    > > Good grief - that's the Julian calendar! Where have you been for the

    last
    > > 400 years?
    > >
    > > Trevor

    > I can only calculate using an existing calendar

    That's my point - the 'existing' (in most Western countries) calendar
    (Gregorian) says:

    1 in four years are leap years
    except century years aren't (1700, 1800, 1900 etc.)
    EXCEPT every four centuries ARE (2000, 2400 etc.)

    as I don't know what will be
    > created in the future.
    > It took me a few seconds to work out the formula, so let's see you have a

    go now
    > ;-)

    I don't either - but I assume it will be accurate. The more accurate it
    gets, the less sensitive the calculation is to precisely when the *accurate*
    system is adopted.

    Trevor.

    Trevor Smith, Nov 4, 2003
  14. Trevor Smith

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Trevor Smith said:

    > "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in message

    >>> Good grief - that's the Julian calendar! Where have you been for the last
    >>> 400 years?
    >>>
    >>> Trevor

    >> I can only calculate using an existing calendar

    > That's my point - the 'existing' (in most Western countries) calendar
    > (Gregorian) says:
    >
    > 1 in four years are leap years
    > except century years aren't (1700, 1800, 1900 etc.)
    > EXCEPT every four centuries ARE (2000, 2400 etc.)
    >
    > as I don't know what will be
    >> created in the future.
    >> It took me a few seconds to work out the formula, so let's see you have a go
    >> now ;-)
    >>

    > I don't either - but I assume it will be accurate. The more accurate it
    > gets, the less sensitive the calculation is to precisely when the *accurate*
    > system is adopted.
    >
    > Trevor.

    It makes no difference whatsoever as to what calendar gets used, the constants
    are what is important to calculate, and in this case the constant is 7.
    You can have 500 days or 600 days in a year, it makes no difference, you only
    have 7 days to calculate ;-)

    Ralph Mann, Nov 4, 2003
  15. Trevor Smith

    Trevor Smith Guest

    "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in message
    > Just Taylor said:
    >
    > > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:07:22 -0000, "Ralph Mann" <>
    > > wrote:

    total

    last

    > >> I can only calculate using an existing calendar, as I don't know what

    will be
    > >> created in the future.
    > >> It took me a few seconds to work out the formula, so let's see you have

    a go
    > >> now

    > > So what's the freaking answer???? Will the bank be open or not?

    > Tuesday.
    > 365,249,635 days divided by 7
    > = 52178519.28
    > --------------^^

    Well the bank WON'T be open (in the UK) on New Year's day. But I still don't
    know what day it will be!

    Trevor

    Trevor Smith, Nov 4, 2003
  16. Trevor Smith

    Harrison Guest

    Ask again on December 31st 999,999.

    Harrison, Nov 4, 2003
  17. Trevor Smith

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Trevor Smith said:

    > "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in message
    >> Just Taylor said:

    >>> So what's the freaking answer???? Will the bank be open or not?

    >> Tuesday.
    >> 365,249,635 days divided by 7
    >> = 52178519.28
    >> --------------^^
    >>

    > Well the bank WON'T be open (in the UK) on New Year's day. But I still don't
    > know what day it will be!

    I gave you the answer above.
    It will be Tuesday.

    Ralph Mann, Nov 4, 2003
  18. Trevor Smith

    Dom F Guest

    wrote in message news:bo97lg$njd$...
    > Insomniacs have some strange thoughts at 4am; at least I did, this
    > morning...

    <snip>

    > Assuming an 'accurate' calendar (which I define as one which keeps the
    > winter solstice for the Northern hemisphere in December in perpetuity) is
    > adopted within the next 1000 years, what day of the week IS Jan 1st
    > 1,000,000AD? Does the question even have a meaning?

    I hope it's a Sunday so I don't have to get up early.

    Dom F, Nov 5, 2003
  19. trout wrote:

    > Prepare now for a viciously better Tomorrow.

    Shouldn't that be "vacuously"?
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 5, 2003
  20. Trevor Smith

    Petit Alexi Guest

    wrote in news:bo97lg$njd$:

    > Insomniacs have some strange thoughts at 4am; at least I did, this
    > morning...

    <snip>

    > Assuming an 'accurate' calendar (which I define as one which keeps the
    > winter solstice for the Northern hemisphere in December in perpetuity)
    > is adopted within the next 1000 years, what day of the week IS Jan 1st
    > 1,000,000AD? Does the question even have a meaning?

    It depends if you've patched for the year 1,000,000 bug.

    (What's the most important part of a door?)

    Petit Alexi, Nov 5, 2003