What could the Thunderbird developers be thinking?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by charte, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. charte

    charte Guest

    I admit I'm reluctant to change programs once I get used to them. I
    think I was in the last bunch to go from DOS to windows. I missed the
    1.?, 2.? and 3.? versions of windows all together. I liked OS/2 a lot,
    but you know that story. As soon as IBM said we will never stop
    supporting this OS, I knew I was doomed.

    I've done about the same with browsers. I used Netscape 4.7 longer than
    most people because it worked the way I liked it. Finally I changed to
    Mozilla and then immediately switched back for another year. I just
    hated the 'FIND' feature in the Mozilla mail program. When you search
    for a word, the match is displayed at the bottom of the screen. Why
    would they do that, instead of the top of the screen like the old
    programs used to do? When you do get a match, you then have to scroll
    the screen down to read associated data around your search term. When
    it was displayed at the top the data was usually right there where you
    could read it. A real backwards step, I thought. I have not ever been
    able to find any configuration parameter to control it. I finally went
    to an external macro program and it helps, but it isn't as good as the
    old Netscape.

    Last week I decided to switch to Thunderbird (and Firefox) before I was
    completely out of date. I heard about Seamonkey, but it looks like most
    development is with Thunderbird and Firefox. Now I find they have
    changed the 'FIND' feature again!

    I read Yahoo groups messages by doing a find on 'MESSAGE', then I can go
    from message to message (with <CTRL G>, no matter how much is quoted or
    how big the message is. When I get to the end of the messages, I used
    to get "Data not found" or something similar. Now it loops and starts
    from the top of the message again! Gad! Why? Is there a configuration
    parameter to control this? I looked though the different config files,
    and I couldn't find anything.

    I don't think it could be written up as a 'bug' as the bottom displayed
    search has been working this way since the first Mozilla versions. I
    expect this looping thing is by design, but I don't understand why.

    My, I would like to see a new version of Netscape 4.7. It seemed to
    work the way I think a mail program should. I'm just getting old, I guess.

    Thanks,

    John
    charte, Mar 17, 2006

  2. charte

    Splibbilla Guest

    charte <> in news:xaFSf.51$:

    > I've done about the same with browsers. I used Netscape 4.7 longer
    > than most people because it worked the way I liked it. Finally I
    > changed to Mozilla and then immediately switched back for another
    > year. I just hated the 'FIND' feature in the Mozilla mail program.
    > When you search for a word, the match is displayed at the bottom of
    > the screen. Why would they do that, instead of the top of the screen
    > like the old programs used to do? When you do get a match, you then
    > have to scroll the screen down to read associated data around your
    > search term. When it was displayed at the top the data was usually
    > right there where you could read it. A real backwards step, I
    > thought. I have not ever been able to find any configuration
    > parameter to control it. I finally went to an external macro program
    > and it helps, but it isn't as good as the old Netscape.
    >
    > Last week I decided to switch to Thunderbird (and Firefox) before I
    > was completely out of date. I heard about Seamonkey, but it looks
    > like most development is with Thunderbird and Firefox.

    afAIK, seaMonkey is kept uptodate regarding the rendering and security. yet it shoudl resemble moz suite, if you liked that.

    >Now I find
    > they have changed the 'FIND' feature again!
    >
    > I read Yahoo groups messages by doing a find on 'MESSAGE', then I can
    > go from message to message (with <CTRL G>, no matter how much is
    > quoted or how big the message is. When I get to the end of the
    > messages, I used to get "Data not found" or something similar. Now it
    > loops and starts from the top of the message again! Gad! Why? Is
    > there a configuration parameter to control this? I looked though the
    > different config files, and I couldn't find anything.

    i think i see this inconvenience. previously the textfind would stop (then you'd have to clear the "'message' not found"
    message) then you'd click on a yahoo gruop link similar to "next messages"
    yes?
    now you realize you've reached the last msg on yg webpage, when textfind shoots back to the top (first "message")

    slight workaround, is to click the "Find Previous" in ff's textfindbar. this shoots the page back to the last yg "message"

    besides all of that, i've assumed you'rreading yg in ff, but maybe you're in tb, reading yg as email messages?

    there are probably extensions to alter ff's ui, regards the findbar (-:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Find-bar FireFox extension

    Splibbilla, Mar 20, 2006

  3. charte

    charte Guest

    Splibbilla wrote:

    > besides all of that, i've assumed you'rreading yg in ff, but maybe you're in tb, reading yg as email messages?
    >
    > there are probably extensions to alter ff's ui, regards the findbar (-:
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=Find-bar FireFox extension

    Yes, this is a Thunderbird issue. I've been reading the YG messages
    (digest) in the mail reader.

    I didn't find anything about my problem, but your search term gave me a
    different slant on looking and I found a lot of information last night.
    I do thank you. I didn't get to read nearly all of it, so I get to
    read more soon.

    Thanks again,

    John
    charte, Mar 21, 2006