What could be wrong with FTP on my Dell WinXP?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Wayne Delia, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. Wayne Delia

    Wayne Delia Guest

    I have three WinXP computers (two Dell Dimensions, and one IBM laptop)
    and a Linux machine on an old IBM NetVista. All are connected to the
    Internet by a DSL connection and a home network I've set up.

    The primary Dell WinXP machine refuses to upload a file to my remote
    website. It will stop after about 250 bytes are uploaded and no further
    progress is made. This symptom is evident with native FTP at a command
    prompt, or uploading using FileZilla, or uploading using my editor of
    choice, UltraEdit v11.0.

    The other Dell WinXP machine, the IBM laptop, and the Linux box have no
    trouble uploading at all. The affected machine used to upload fine, but
    seems to have this problem consistently for the past three months or so.

    Are there any diagnostic tools I could use to figure out what's wrong
    with FTP?

    Best,
    WMD

    --
    Wayne Delia,
    Delta Iota Chapter Advisor, Phi Kappa Sigma at Marist College

    Wayne Delia, Apr 26, 2006

  2. Wayne Delia

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:09:47 GMT, Wayne Delia <>
    wrote:

    >I have three WinXP computers (two Dell Dimensions, and one IBM laptop)
    >and a Linux machine on an old IBM NetVista. All are connected to the
    >Internet by a DSL connection and a home network I've set up.
    >
    >The primary Dell WinXP machine refuses to upload a file to my remote
    >website. It will stop after about 250 bytes are uploaded and no further
    >progress is made. This symptom is evident with native FTP at a command
    >prompt, or uploading using FileZilla, or uploading using my editor of
    >choice, UltraEdit v11.0.
    >
    >The other Dell WinXP machine, the IBM laptop, and the Linux box have no
    >trouble uploading at all. The affected machine used to upload fine, but
    >seems to have this problem consistently for the past three months or so.
    >
    >Are there any diagnostic tools I could use to figure out what's wrong
    >with FTP?

    Incorrect MTU setting?

    Firewall?

    Evan Platt, Apr 26, 2006

  3. Wayne Delia

    thanatoid Guest

    Wayne Delia <> wrote in

    > I have three WinXP computers (two Dell Dimensions, and one
    > IBM laptop) and a Linux machine on an old IBM NetVista. All
    > are connected to the Internet by a DSL connection and a
    > home network I've set up.
    >
    > The primary Dell WinXP machine refuses to upload a file to
    > my remote website. It will stop after about 250 bytes are
    > uploaded and no further progress is made. This symptom is
    > evident with native FTP at a command prompt, or uploading
    > using FileZilla, or uploading using my editor of choice,
    > UltraEdit v11.0.
    >
    > The other Dell WinXP machine, the IBM laptop, and the Linux
    > box have no trouble uploading at all. The affected machine
    > used to upload fine, but seems to have this problem
    > consistently for the past three months or so.
    >
    > Are there any diagnostic tools I could use to figure out
    > what's wrong with FTP?
    >
    > Best,
    > WMD

    I don't use XP so some might say I shouldn't say anything, but
    of course, I will, especially since my comment is not OS
    related.

    If they're all networked, it will take seconds to transfer
    anything to or from a machine where ftp DOES work, so do you
    REALLY have a problem? Having four computers is bad enough, but
    using all four (or 3) to do the same thing is kind of strange.
    Maybe you should try not to forget that there is a world outside
    your front door as well.

    --
    thanatoid-TipĀ® #9 (an opinion this time)
    HTML is very simple, very clever, yet stupid and pointless. But

    thanatoid, Apr 26, 2006
  4. Wayne Delia

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:09:47 +0000, Wayne Delia wrote:

    > I have three WinXP computers (two Dell Dimensions, and one IBM laptop) and
    > a Linux machine on an old IBM NetVista. All are connected to the Internet
    > by a DSL connection and a home network I've set up.
    >
    > The primary Dell WinXP machine refuses to upload a file to my remote
    > website. It will stop after about 250 bytes are uploaded and no further
    > progress is made. This symptom is evident with native FTP at a command
    > prompt, or uploading using FileZilla, or uploading using my editor of
    > choice, UltraEdit v11.0.
    >
    > The other Dell WinXP machine, the IBM laptop, and the Linux box have no
    > trouble uploading at all. The affected machine used to upload fine, but
    > seems to have this problem consistently for the past three months or so.
    >
    > Are there any diagnostic tools I could use to figure out what's wrong with
    > FTP?
    >
    > Best,
    > WMD

    Just use a box that works and forget about it.

    Meat Plow, Apr 26, 2006
  5. Wayne Delia

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:09:47 GMT, Wayne Delia wrote:

    <snip>

    >Are there any diagnostic tools I could use to figure out what's wrong
    >with FTP?

    Remote server logs.
    Local FTP client logs.
    Packet sniffer.