    --
    Free Open Source software - it's not just about better code, as important as
    that is. It's about better values, higher ethics.

    Bling Bling, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Bling Bling

    Chris Hope Guest

    Bling Bling wrote:

    > What price should one reasonably expect to pay to register here in NZ
    > a .net, or .com, or .org domain name?

    How about searching on "register domain" in Google and have a look at
    the .co.nz ads - that'll find you a few.

    > Which domain name registrar is considered to be the most
    > reputable/reliable/reasonably-priced?

    From what I have seen there's no point registering .com/net/org domains
    from a New Zealand registrar - they're all several times more expensive
    than US based registrars. I register all my .com domains with GoDaddy
    who are very reliable and one of the best value registrars in the
    business.

    Having said that, if you are wanting to support NZ businesses here's
    some pricing for .com domains:

    www.freeparking.biz - $39.95 for 1 year, 75.90 for 2 years

    www.webdrive.co.nz - $35.00 per year

    www.domainz.net.nz - hmm couldn't find a price, but they're owned by
    MelbourneIT in Aus anyway

    www.discountdomains.co.nz - $29.95 per year

    www.1stdomains.co.nz - $25 first year, $34 subsequent years - I'm
    guessing this is for all TLDs as they don't specify otherwise.

    There many many more. Like I said do a search and you'll find plenty.
    I've personlly used Web Drive, Free Parking and Domainz (wouldn't use
    Domainz anymore though as they're a ripoff) and found them all to be
    very reliable. I've dealt with Digiweb in the past (who are discount
    domains) and they were always an excellent hosting provider.

    GoDaddy domains are US$8.95 per year, although once you've registered
    one they have special offers by email and you can often pay as little
    as US$6.95

    Chris Hope, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Bling Bling

    Rob Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Bling Bling wrote:
    >
    > > What price should one reasonably expect to pay to register here in NZ
    > > a .net, or .com, or .org domain name?

    > How about searching on "register domain" in Google and have a look at
    > the .co.nz ads - that'll find you a few.
    >
    > > Which domain name registrar is considered to be the most
    > > reputable/reliable/reasonably-priced?

    > From what I have seen there's no point registering .com/net/org domains
    > from a New Zealand registrar - they're all several times more expensive
    > than US based registrars. I register all my .com domains with GoDaddy
    > who are very reliable and one of the best value registrars in the
    > business.
    >
    > Having said that, if you are wanting to support NZ businesses here's
    > some pricing for .com domains:
    >
    > www.freeparking.biz - $39.95 for 1 year, 75.90 for 2 years
    >
    > www.webdrive.co.nz - $35.00 per year
    >
    > www.domainz.net.nz - hmm couldn't find a price, but they're owned by
    > MelbourneIT in Aus anyway
    >
    > www.discountdomains.co.nz - $29.95 per year
    >
    > www.1stdomains.co.nz - $25 first year, $34 subsequent years - I'm
    > guessing this is for all TLDs as they don't specify otherwise.
    >
    > There many many more. Like I said do a search and you'll find plenty.
    > I've personlly used Web Drive, Free Parking and Domainz (wouldn't use
    > Domainz anymore though as they're a ripoff) and found them all to be
    > very reliable. I've dealt with Digiweb in the past (who are discount
    > domains) and they were always an excellent hosting provider.
    >
    > GoDaddy domains are US$8.95 per year, although once you've registered
    > one they have special offers by email and you can often pay as little
    > as US$6.95
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.co.nz

    >I've dealt with Digiweb in the past (who are discount
    > domains) and they were always an excellent hosting provider.

    Discount domains appear to charge a redemption fee on expired NZ domains if
    you want to renew them, which is the only NZ company I have seen who do
    this.

    With US companies you don't have the same consumer protection, and once they
    have got your credit card details they can then bill you whenever they want.
    I had this issue with a US domain company who kept renewing my domain when I
    requested that I didn't want it autorenewed. They then charged me a huge
    redemption fee as they autorenewed my expired domain. I just issued a credit
    card chargeback, but be very careful with some US companies as can be very
    dodgy.

    Rob, Oct 20, 2005
  4. Bling Bling

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:46:11 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    >> Which domain name registrar is considered to be the most
    >> reputable/reliable/reasonably-priced?

    > From what I have seen there's no point registering .com/net/org domains
    > from a New Zealand registrar - they're all several times more expensive
    > than US based registrars. I register all my .com domains with GoDaddy
    > who are very reliable and one of the best value registrars in the
    > business.
    >
    > Having said that, if you are wanting to support NZ businesses here's
    > some pricing for .com domains:
    >
    > www.freeparking.biz - $39.95 for 1 year, 75.90 for 2 years
    >
    > www.webdrive.co.nz - $35.00 per year
    >
    > www.domainz.net.nz - hmm couldn't find a price, but they're owned by
    > MelbourneIT in Aus anyway
    >
    > www.discountdomains.co.nz - $29.95 per year
    >
    > www.1stdomains.co.nz - $25 first year, $34 subsequent years - I'm
    > guessing this is for all TLDs as they don't specify otherwise.
    >
    > There many many more. Like I said do a search and you'll find plenty.
    > I've personlly used Web Drive, Free Parking and Domainz (wouldn't use
    > Domainz anymore though as they're a ripoff) and found them all to be
    > very reliable. I've dealt with Digiweb in the past (who are discount
    > domains) and they were always an excellent hosting provider.
    >
    > GoDaddy domains are US$8.95 per year, although once you've registered
    > one they have special offers by email and you can often pay as little
    > as US$6.95

    Thanks for that.

    I eventually found a (not so recent) price comparison of NZ registrars on
    http://www.nznews.org.nz/registrar_list.html and as I already have one
    domain name with iserve I decided to register the new one with that
    business.

    Bling Bling

    Bling Bling, Oct 20, 2005
  5. Bling Bling

    Chris Hope Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    >> Bling Bling wrote:
    >>
    >> > What price should one reasonably expect to pay to register here in
    >> > NZ a .net, or .com, or .org domain name?

    >> How about searching on "register domain" in Google and have a look at
    >> the .co.nz ads - that'll find you a few.
    >>
    >> > Which domain name registrar is considered to be the most
    >> > reputable/reliable/reasonably-priced?

    >> From what I have seen there's no point registering .com/net/org
    >> domains from a New Zealand registrar - they're all several times more
    >> expensive than US based registrars. I register all my .com domains
    >> with GoDaddy who are very reliable and one of the best value
    >> registrars in the business.
    >>
    >> Having said that, if you are wanting to support NZ businesses here's
    >> some pricing for .com domains:
    >>
    >> www.freeparking.biz - $39.95 for 1 year, 75.90 for 2 years
    >>
    >> www.webdrive.co.nz - $35.00 per year
    >>
    >> www.domainz.net.nz - hmm couldn't find a price, but they're owned by
    >> MelbourneIT in Aus anyway
    >>
    >> www.discountdomains.co.nz - $29.95 per year
    >>
    >> www.1stdomains.co.nz - $25 first year, $34 subsequent years - I'm
    >> guessing this is for all TLDs as they don't specify otherwise.
    >>
    >> There many many more. Like I said do a search and you'll find plenty.
    >> I've personlly used Web Drive, Free Parking and Domainz (wouldn't use
    >> Domainz anymore though as they're a ripoff) and found them all to be
    >> very reliable. I've dealt with Digiweb in the past (who are discount
    >> domains) and they were always an excellent hosting provider.
    >>
    >> GoDaddy domains are US$8.95 per year, although once you've registered
    >> one they have special offers by email and you can often pay as little
    >> as US$6.95
    >>
    >>I've dealt with Digiweb in the past (who are discount
    >> domains) and they were always an excellent hosting provider.

    > Discount domains appear to charge a redemption fee on expired NZ
    > domains if you want to renew them, which is the only NZ company I have
    > seen who do this.

    That's pretty crappy.

    > With US companies you don't have the same consumer protection, and

    True.

    > once they have got your credit card details they can then bill you
    > whenever they want.

    The same goes for an NZ based company. However it is easier to track
    them down.

    > I had this issue with a US domain company who kept
    > renewing my domain when I requested that I didn't want it autorenewed.
    > They then charged me a huge redemption fee as they autorenewed my
    > expired domain. I just issued a credit
    > card chargeback, but be very careful with some US companies as can be
    > very dodgy.

    I've never had any issues with GoDaddy, and I've had a number of domains
    I've let lapse, but there are always cowboy outfits out there who will
    do stuff like this. I have something like 30 domains, the majority of
    which are .coms.

    Chris Hope, Oct 20, 2005
  6. Bling Bling

    Chris Hope Guest

    Rob wrote:

    [snip]

    > With US companies you don't have the same consumer protection, and

    One other thing I just thought of... while consumer protection exists
    for individuals it doesn't exist to the same level for businesses. IIRC
    the consumer guarantee act doesn't apply to businesses. However as I
    mentioned in my other post it's far easier to track down an NZ based
    business and go talk to them face to face should something go wrong.

    Chris Hope, Oct 20, 2005
  7. Re: what cost for registering a .net, .com, or .org domain names via aNZ company?

    In <> Bling Bling wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:46:11 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    >> From what I have seen there's no point registering .com/net/org
    >> domains from a New Zealand registrar - they're all several times more
    >> expensive than US based registrars. I register all my .com domains
    >> with GoDaddy who are very reliable and one of the best value
    >> registrars in the business.

    > I eventually found a (not so recent) price comparison of NZ registrars
    > on http://www.nznews.org.nz/registrar_list.html and as I already have
    > one domain name with iserve I decided to register the new one with
    > that business.

    If you check the fine print at the end of that page, you'll note that
    those prices are current as at March 2004. A lot can change in that
    industry in that space of time!

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.

    Alastair .geek.nz, Oct 20, 2005
  8. Bling Bling

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:19:36 +1300, Alastair.geek.nz wrote:

    >> I eventually found a (not so recent) price comparison of NZ registrars
    >> on http://www.nznews.org.nz/registrar_list.html and as I already have
    >> one domain name with iserve I decided to register the new one with
    >> that business.

    > If you check the fine print at the end of that page, you'll note that
    > those prices are current as at March 2004. A lot can change in that
    > industry in that space of time!

    If you check what I wrote, you would find that I knew that already.

    In the end I registered a .net.nz domain name.

    Bling Bling

    Bling Bling, Oct 21, 2005