    suggestions are appreciated.

    Ed M
    www.traquilimages.com
    Ed Margiewicz, Oct 24, 2005

  2. "Ed Margiewicz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
    > slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file

    sizes
    > over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
    > scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
    > such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
    > suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > Ed M
    > www.traquilimages.com

    I ran into the printing problem before I upgraded from a 4GB to a large C:
    drive, with decent free space. It's currently 40GB and there's about 7GB
    spare; with data stored on an 80GB.
    RAM is 512MB which was fine until I scanned some of 4x5s last week creating
    100MB files. PS now crawls and the graphics are tiled, so I'm guessing that
    I need to upgrade RAM tp at least 1GB.

    I'm sure people using their gear professionally will advise even more
    capacity.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Malcolm Stewart, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Ed Margiewicz

    Jim Guest

    > recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
    > slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file
    > sizes over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or
    > bigger) from scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new
    > computer to handle such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to
    > 500mb. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > Ed M
    > www.traquilimages.com

    Lots more memory and a bigger disk are indicated here.
    Jim
    Jim, Oct 25, 2005
  4. Ed Margiewicz

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
    >slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file sizes
    >over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
    >scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
    >such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
    >suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    >Ed M
    >www.traquilimages.com

    While one can get by with less, both HDDs and RAM are cheap. If you are
    buying/building a new machine, and larger graphics files are your desire, I'd
    suggest min. 2GB RAM, and I'd also urge you to get as much HDD real estate as
    you can. If you use PS (CS or greater) it will use ALL HDD space that you can
    spare. Ideally, keep your OS (and any OS's virtual memory) and your programs
    on one HDD, set another for your image files, then as many as you can muster,
    as large, and as fast as you can get, for your Scratch Disks.

    I often work on much larger files on an old P-III (1GHz) dual processor, 1.5GB
    RAM and several 36GB SCSI (non-RAID) HDDs, so it can be done, but I'd urge you
    to get as much as you can. Besides, you will probably pay 1/2 what I did 5
    years ago, and get 10x as much! <G>

    Hunt
    Hunt, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Ed Margiewicz

    CFB Guest

    In article <>,
    "Ed Margiewicz" <> wrote:

    > recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
    > slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file sizes
    > over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
    > scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
    > such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
    > suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > Ed M
    > www.traquilimages.com

    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71606/wo/
    VniUEIyOWjAF3UZk19V1EtF8XHo/2.?p=0

    --

    http://thepathlessland.blogspot.com/
    http://ChristianBonanno.com/
    CFB, Oct 25, 2005
  6. Ed Margiewicz

    Guest

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:35:29 -0700, "Ed Margiewicz" <> wrote:

    > recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
    > slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file sizes
    > over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
    > scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
    > such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
    > suggestions are appreciated.

    P4 3GHz with 2 gig of memory with a large HD would make it easy.
    , Oct 25, 2005
  7. Ed Margiewicz

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Margiewicz <> wrote:
    > recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
    >slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file sizes
    >over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
    >scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
    >such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
    >suggestions are appreciated.

    I'm using a PowerMac G4, 1.25GHz with 2 gigabytes of RAM. Scanned 4x5 makes
    it a bit sluggish. Get the fastest machine you can, and put as much memory
    as it'll take in it.
    Chris Brown, Oct 25, 2005
  8. Ed Margiewicz

    Jim Guest

    On 2005-10-24 18:35:29 -0400, "Ed Margiewicz" <> said:

    > recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
    > slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file
    > sizes over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or
    > bigger) from scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new
    > computer to handle such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up
    > to 500mb. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > Ed M
    > www.traquilimages.com

    More RAM and more DISK space. If you are considering buying a new
    computer (any you should.. a 5 year old Dell is a little long in the
    tooth) I recommend multiple drives rather than one huge drive. If you
    buy a windows machine, consider at least two internal drives and
    perhaps three. As a general rule, on Windows, I have one drive for
    Windows and the applications as well as the Windows swap drive (this
    can be relatively small, 40 GB's or smaller, but it should be fast,
    7200 RPM or better. This is often difficult with a small drive as they
    are usually low end slow ones. I partition the second drive, the first
    is a 20 GB partition just for my photo softwares swap space.. ie Adobe
    Photoshop. The second partiion holds all my non photo data.. ie
    documents, mp3's etc. The thrid drive only holds digital images. I
    do a similar arrangement on my Mac. Although the OS swap does not get
    used as heavily.

    --
    Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo
    Jim, Oct 25, 2005