What command reports the "real" IP address?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Julie Holiday, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?

    I have a standard home wireless setup with a cable modem connected to a
    wireless router and a single laptop computer wirelessly connected.

    I googled for "query IP address" and I found this commmand.
    c:\> ipconfig /?
    c:\> ipconfig /release
    c:\> ipconfig /renew
    c:\> ipconfig /all

    But that ipconfig command doesn't give my "real" IP address.
    That ipconfig command only reports my "fake" address!
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    By googling, I found web sites that tell me my "real" IP address.

    For example, http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html
    tells me my "real" ip address is 69.110.21.223

    But how do I find my "real" IP address without having to go to a web site
    to find out. Does the ipconfig command or the netstat command have a hidden
    option to report the "real" ip address?

    If not, what command reports the "real" IP address?

    Julie Holiday, Jan 31, 2006

  2. Julie Holiday

    Don Grover Guest

    "Julie Holiday" <> wrote in message
    > What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?
    >
    > I have a standard home wireless setup with a cable modem connected to a
    > wireless router and a single laptop computer wirelessly connected.
    >
    > I googled for "query IP address" and I found this commmand.
    > c:\> ipconfig /?
    > c:\> ipconfig /release
    > c:\> ipconfig /renew
    > c:\> ipconfig /all
    >
    > But that ipconfig command doesn't give my "real" IP address.
    > That ipconfig command only reports my "fake" address!
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >
    > By googling, I found web sites that tell me my "real" IP address.
    >
    > For example, http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html
    > tells me my "real" ip address is 69.110.21.223
    >
    > But how do I find my "real" IP address without having to go to a web site
    > to find out. Does the ipconfig command or the netstat command have a
    > hidden
    > option to report the "real" ip address?
    >
    > If not, what command reports the "real" IP address?

    Your Router / Modem has the real address.
    Log into that at http://192.168.0.1
    Put in user name and password and a menu item like STATUS should show it too
    you.

    Don Grover, Jan 31, 2006

  3. Julie Holiday

    Bill M. Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 05:22:10 GMT, Julie Holiday <>
    wrote:

    >What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?
    >
    >I have a standard home wireless setup with a cable modem connected to a
    >wireless router and a single laptop computer wirelessly connected.

    <snip>

    Log into your router to see your public WAN IP address.

    Bill M., Jan 31, 2006
  4. Julie Holiday

    Warren Guest

    Julie Holiday wrote:
    > What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?
    >
    > I have a standard home wireless setup with a cable modem connected to a
    > wireless router and a single laptop computer wirelessly connected.

    You have to check the device that's actually connected to the Internet. In
    this case it's not the computers on your home LAN. It's the device that
    connects your network to the Internet: Your router. Check your router's
    configuration.

    --
    Warren H.

    ==========
    to go outside now.

    Compare and buy TaxCut and TurboTax Software:
    http://www.holzemville.com/taxes/

    Warren, Jan 31, 2006
  5. Julie Holiday

    Jerry Park Guest

    Julie Holiday wrote:
    > What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?
    >
    > I have a standard home wireless setup with a cable modem connected to a
    > wireless router and a single laptop computer wirelessly connected.
    >
    > I googled for "query IP address" and I found this commmand.
    > c:\> ipconfig /?
    > c:\> ipconfig /release
    > c:\> ipconfig /renew
    > c:\> ipconfig /all
    >
    > But that ipconfig command doesn't give my "real" IP address.
    > That ipconfig command only reports my "fake" address!
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >
    > By googling, I found web sites that tell me my "real" IP address.
    >
    > For example, http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html
    > tells me my "real" ip address is 69.110.21.223
    >
    > But how do I find my "real" IP address without having to go to a web site
    > to find out. Does the ipconfig command or the netstat command have a hidden
    > option to report the "real" ip address?
    >
    > If not, what command reports the "real" IP address?

    If you connect your computer directly to your modem, your computer
    receives a 'real', that is, Internet address from the modem. Then
    ipconfig /all will show that address.

    When your computer is connected to a router, the router receives the
    'real' address and issues your computer an internal address. In that
    case (which is much preferred to the direct connection), the computer
    only knows the address assigned by the router.

    You can log in to your router to see the Internet address or as you have
    noted, go to a site which can tell you what address it is connected to
    (your router's Internet address).

    Another way of looking at this is that your ISP assigns an address to
    you. That address can only belong to one computer. When you use a
    router, the router is the computer receiving that address. Your computer
    is sharing that address but has no idea what that address is. It only
    knows its own address which it received from the router.

    Jerry Park, Jan 31, 2006
  6. Julie Holiday <> hath wroth:

    >But how do I find my "real" IP address without having to go to a web site
    >to find out. Does the ipconfig command or the netstat command have a hidden
    >option to report the "real" ip address?

    No, there's no hidden option. The reason those web sites exist is
    that there's no easy way to get your own WAN IP addresses.

    >If not, what command reports the "real" IP address?

    None. Basically, you have to have some external server on the
    internet report it back to you. For example, try:
    http://checkip.dyndns.org
    Which can probably be scripted.

    The remote web server will also record your IP address (for its logs).
    You can interrogate the IP address using a CGI script and REMOTE_ADDR
    variable. For example:
    http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/cgi-bin/summary.cgi

    I don't know of any command you can run locally that return the WAN IP
    address without interrogating either the router or a remote server.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann -cruz.ca.us
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

    Jeff Liebermann, Jan 31, 2006
  7. Julie Holiday

    aljuhani Guest

    Julie Holiday wrote:
    > What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?
    >
    > I have a standard home wireless setup with a cable modem connected to a
    > wireless router and a single laptop computer wirelessly connected.
    >
    > I googled for "query IP address" and I found this commmand.
    > c:\> ipconfig /?
    > c:\> ipconfig /release
    > c:\> ipconfig /renew
    > c:\> ipconfig /all
    >
    > But that ipconfig command doesn't give my "real" IP address.
    > That ipconfig command only reports my "fake" address!
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >
    > By googling, I found web sites that tell me my "real" IP address.
    >
    > For example, http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html
    > tells me my "real" ip address is 69.110.21.223
    >
    > But how do I find my "real" IP address without having to go to a web site
    > to find out. Does the ipconfig command or the netstat command have a hidden
    > option to report the "real" ip address?
    >
    > If not, what command reports the "real" IP address?

    192.168.0.200 is your PC ip address assigned from your router DHCP (
    LAN or Internal IP).
    WAN IP address can normally be viewed from inside the router logs or
    web interface but
    you can use the program below which sits on your task bar showing your
    WAN IP and alerts if it change.

    http://www.download.com/MyWanIp/3000-2155_4-10429280.html?tag=lst-0-1

    -aljuhani

    aljuhani, Jan 31, 2006
  8. Julie Holiday schrieb:
    > What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?

    The only piece of equipment dealing with the external IP address is your
    router.

    Login to the router (most likely via your internet browser) and have a look.

    The pcs only have local addresses.

    --
    Martin Bodenstedt

    (www.die-bodenstedts.de / www.maboko.de)

    Martin Bodenstedt, Jan 31, 2006
  9. Julie Holiday

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Julie Holiday wrote:
    > What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?
    >
    > I have a standard home wireless setup with a cable modem connected to a
    > wireless router and a single laptop computer wirelessly connected.
    >
    > I googled for "query IP address" and I found this commmand.
    > c:\> ipconfig /?
    > c:\> ipconfig /release
    > c:\> ipconfig /renew
    > c:\> ipconfig /all
    >
    > But that ipconfig command doesn't give my "real" IP address.
    > That ipconfig command only reports my "fake" address!
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >
    > By googling, I found web sites that tell me my "real" IP address.
    >
    > For example, http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html
    > tells me my "real" ip address is 69.110.21.223

    Yes, a Website can obtain the IP by requesting it from the browser. I
    see you're using Xnews and if you Show Headers with Xnews on the post
    you mode, you'll see that 69.110.21.223 or if you use OE and select
    Properties/Details by doing a right-click, you'll see your real IP.

    > But how do I find my "real" IP address without having to go to a web site
    > to find out. Does the ipconfig command or the netstat command have a hidden
    > option to report the "real" ip address?

    Normally, IPconfig /all will give you that information but your router
    with the above information is set-up to do something that I don't apply
    to a router or FW appliance and I have them set to give that information
    of the IP the ISP assigned to the network that the machine behind the
    router is using and the ISP's DNS IP(s) being used by the NIC.

    > If not, what command reports the "real" IP address?

    There should be a status screen on the router's admin screens that gives
    you the real information.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 31, 2006
  10. Julie Holiday

    $Bill Guest

    Julie Holiday wrote:

    > What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?

    > By googling, I found web sites that tell me my "real" IP address.
    >
    > For example, http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html
    > tells me my "real" ip address is 69.110.21.223
    >
    > But how do I find my "real" IP address without having to go to a web site
    > to find out. Does the ipconfig command or the netstat command have a hidden
    > option to report the "real" ip address?
    >
    > If not, what command reports the "real" IP address?

    As far as your computer is concerned, that is your real IP address.
    Your router handles the translation for you. What you could do is
    log into your router and get that info from there. I have a CGI
    script on my website that I can use to tell me the same info.
    You could also autmoate it by using wget or similar and scraping
    the info from your router's webpage to save the trouble of logging
    in manually.

    $Bill, Jan 31, 2006
  11. Julie Holiday

    riggor99999 Guest

    Since your real address is assigned to the router by the cable modem - you
    need to check your router or cable modem for it and not your pc.

    Internet -> cablemodem -> router -> pc

    ipconfig on your pc tells you your pc's ip address

    riggor99999, Jan 31, 2006
  12. riggor99999 schrieb:
    > Since your real address is assigned to the router by the cable modem - you
    > need to check your router or cable modem for it and not your pc.

    The IP is *not* assigned by the modem (beeing only a simple, stupid
    bridge in this context) but by Your ISP...

    Martin Bodenstedt, Jan 31, 2006
  13. In article <Xns975BD95EE41BEHPb@207.115.17.102>,
    Julie Holiday <> wrote:

    > What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?
    >
    > I have a standard home wireless setup with a cable modem connected to a
    > wireless router and a single laptop computer wirelessly connected.

    Your router tells you. That's the only thing in your setup that has
    your outside IP address. Your computer knows nothing.

    Your router has a web page, probably, that will tell you.

    Question: why do you need to know this?

    Elmo P. Shagnasty, Jan 31, 2006
  14. Julie Holiday

    Patrick Klos Guest

    Julie Holiday <> wrote:
    >What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?
    >
    >I have a standard home wireless setup with a cable modem connected to a
    >wireless router and a single laptop computer wirelessly connected.
    >
    >I googled for "query IP address" and I found this commmand.
    >c:\> ipconfig /?
    >c:\> ipconfig /release
    >c:\> ipconfig /renew
    >c:\> ipconfig /all
    >
    >But that ipconfig command doesn't give my "real" IP address.
    >That ipconfig command only reports my "fake" address!
    >Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    >Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    >IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.200
    >Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    >Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >
    >By googling, I found web sites that tell me my "real" IP address.
    >
    >For example, http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html
    >tells me my "real" ip address is 69.110.21.223
    >
    >But how do I find my "real" IP address without having to go to a web site
    >to find out. Does the ipconfig command or the netstat command have a hidden
    >option to report the "real" ip address?
    >
    >If not, what command reports the "real" IP address?

    Your Windows machine (and any machine behind your wireless router) won't
    know your "external" IP address (what you're calling your "real" IP
    address). Usually you can ask your wireless router itself what the
    outside IP address, but you have to go through it's web interface for
    that.

    Is there a reason you need to have your PC know the external IP address?

    Patrick
    Patrick Klos Email:
    ==================== http://www.loving-long-island.com/ ====================

    Patrick Klos, Jan 31, 2006
  15. Julie Holiday

    Quaoar Guest

    Julie Holiday wrote:
    > What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?
    >
    > I have a standard home wireless setup with a cable modem connected to a
    > wireless router and a single laptop computer wirelessly connected.
    >
    > I googled for "query IP address" and I found this commmand.
    > c:\> ipconfig /?
    > c:\> ipconfig /release
    > c:\> ipconfig /renew
    > c:\> ipconfig /all
    >
    > But that ipconfig command doesn't give my "real" IP address.
    > That ipconfig command only reports my "fake" address!
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >
    > By googling, I found web sites that tell me my "real" IP address.
    >
    > For example, http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html
    > tells me my "real" ip address is 69.110.21.223
    >
    > But how do I find my "real" IP address without having to go to a web site
    > to find out. Does the ipconfig command or the netstat command have a hidden
    > option to report the "real" ip address?
    >
    > If not, what command reports the "real" IP address?

    You can always find your WAN IP address in the router's web interface,
    192.168.X.1 where X is provided in the user manual (0,1,2,...). Just
    type the the router's LAN IP into a browser address bar.

    Quaoar, Jan 31, 2006
  16. Julie Holiday

    Rod Smith Guest

    Julie Holiday <> writes:

    > What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?
    >
    > I have a standard home wireless setup with a cable modem connected to a
    > wireless router and a single laptop computer wirelessly connected.
    >
    > I googled for "query IP address" and I found this commmand.
    > c:\> ipconfig /?
    > c:\> ipconfig /release
    > c:\> ipconfig /renew
    > c:\> ipconfig /all
    >
    > But that ipconfig command doesn't give my "real" IP address.
    > That ipconfig command only reports my "fake" address!
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    That *IS* your *COMPUTER'S* "real" IP address. Chances are, though, that
    you're sitting behind a NAT gateway, either built into your cable modem or
    running as a separate device. The NAT router has its own IP address, which
    is visible to the world at large, and it rewrites packets to and from the
    computer(s) on the network it serves to make it seem as if the packets
    come from the NAT router itself. There's no way you can tell what the NAT
    router's address is using exclusively local commands on the computer(s) it
    serves. Instead, you must either access the NAT router itself (via a
    Telnet session, Web interface, or whatever) or access an outside Web site
    that reports back your IP address (as you said you've done).

    --
    Rod Smith,
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

    Rod Smith, Jan 31, 2006
  17. Julie Holiday

    shogunu Guest

    Your real IP address 192.168.0.200 is par of the "private IP
    addresses". You will never see this kind of address on the internet. On
    your private network you can use any kind of Ip addresses. But to get
    outside, on the internet, finaly you must have a public IP address.
    This means that either your PC is cennected derectly to the internet,
    which is very improbable, or you pass trough your ISP gateway, which is
    directly connected to the internet.
    For example my ISP gave me a public IP address. It was his option. So
    it doesn't need to make NAT to allow me to exit on the internet.
    But it would decide to gave me a private IP address, then NAT in
    imperatively needed.

    Br,
    Dan

    shogunu, Jan 31, 2006
  18. On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 05:22:10 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Julie
    Holiday <> wrote:

    >What command reports our "real" IP address to the world?

    Your router's config page will show your external, public IP.

    >IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.200

    internal private IP.

    >tells me my "real" ip address is 69.110.21.223

    external public IP.

    >But how do I find my "real" IP address

    both of these are real - in some ways the 192. one is realler since
    it uniquely identifies your PC, whereas the 69. address could refer to
    any of 254 computers connected to your router.
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Jan 31, 2006