What Comes After Blu-Ray and HD-DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    NEWS

    February 4th 2005

    What Comes After Blu-Ray and HD-DVD? Holographic Versatile Disc

    It may sound like something that would be found on the Starship
    Enterprise, but the Holographic Versatile Disc is apparently the next
    (next) generation of optical storage.

    A HVD disc could hold as much data as 200 standard DVDs (that's 1
    Terrebyte) and transfer data 40 times faster.

    The Holographic Versatile Disc Alliance has been formed to flesh out
    standards for this new technology which is based on holography
    breakthroughs from Japan's Optware, one of the six founders of the
    consortium.

    Optware describes on its website how holographic recording technology
    records data on discs in the form of laser interference fringes.

    Other members of the alliance include CMC Magnetics Corporation, Fuji
    Photo Film, Nippon Paint Co. Ltd., Pulstec Industrial Co., Ltd. and
    TOAGOSEI CO., LTD.,

    http://www.dvdrecorderworld.com/news/165

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Allan

    RichA Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:08:45 -0500, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >NEWS
    >
    >February 4th 2005
    >
    >What Comes After Blu-Ray and HD-DVD? Holographic Versatile Disc
    >
    >It may sound like something that would be found on the Starship
    >Enterprise, but the Holographic Versatile Disc is apparently the next
    >(next) generation of optical storage.
    >
    >A HVD disc could hold as much data as 200 standard DVDs (that's 1
    >Terrebyte) and transfer data 40 times faster.
    >
    >The Holographic Versatile Disc Alliance has been formed to flesh out
    >standards for this new technology which is based on holography
    >breakthroughs from Japan's Optware, one of the six founders of the
    >consortium.

    Why not skip HD and Blue-Ray and go straight to this?
    -Rich
    RichA, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Allan

    Jay G. Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:53:35 -0500, RichA wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:08:45 -0500, Allan
    >>The Holographic Versatile Disc Alliance has been formed to flesh out
    >>standards for this new technology which is based on holography
    >>breakthroughs from Japan's Optware, one of the six founders of the
    >>consortium.

    > Why not skip HD and Blue-Ray and go straight to this?

    Probably because the technology is not near ready for production.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Feb 4, 2005
  4. Allan

    Biz Guest

    Or at least wait for this format to be released at the consumer level and
    let the market run its course before we start worrying about the next
    format...

    Biz, Feb 5, 2005
  5. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    As you can tell, this has been in laboratory since conception for 10 years.
    It will take a long while for it to become practical even now.

    Alpha, Feb 5, 2005
  6. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 2/4/2005 2:53:35 PM, RichA wrote:

    > Why not skip HD and Blue-Ray and go straight to this?

    Because HD-DVD and Blue-Ray are pretty much ready, while the Holographic
    Versatile Disc is not. If you wait for the next upcoming technology,
    you'll never release anything. There's always something better being
    developed.
    --
    "I'm sorry, Wendy, but I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five
    days and doesn't die."

    Now playing: "Grand Funk Railroad - I'm Your Captain"
    Tarkus, Feb 5, 2005
  7. Allan

    Joe Blow Guest

    Allan wrote:

    > The Holographic Versatile Disc Alliance has been formed to flesh out

    The key phrase here is "flesh out." The porno industry must be
    salivating at the prospects...

    JB
    Joe Blow, Feb 5, 2005
  8. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 06:36:26 GMT, Joe Blow <>
    wrote:

    >Allan wrote:
    >
    >> The Holographic Versatile Disc Alliance has been formed to flesh out

    >The key phrase here is "flesh out." The porno industry must be
    >salivating at the prospects...
    >
    >JB

    Question is... will it look like it is in 3D? :eek:)

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Feb 5, 2005
  9. Allan

    Lester Bangs Guest

    Holographic Versatile Disc Alliance (HVDA) has been formed between Sony,
    Warner, Universal, Pioneer and Philips utilising purple inference technology
    with storage capacity of up to 1 TB

    Homographic Ray Disc Alliance (HRDA) has been formed between Newline,
    Matshuda, DIVx, Samsung and LG claiming that purple inference technology is
    a rushed product and their Starboard interloper Technology can handle 2.2 TB
    and 5 x the throughput of the HVDA product.

    Personally I cant wait for this to occur. Imagine a universal player capable
    of CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-A, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Dual Disk, DivX, DVD-R,
    DVD+R, RVR-RW, DVD+RW, WMA, MP3, MP4, OGG, XBox 3, PS4 complete with
    Composite, S-Video, Component, DVI, HDMI, Optical, Co-ax, RJ45, 5.1, 5.1EX,
    6.1ES 7.1, 10.2 DD, DTS, DTS-Lossless, MPL, PCM with on board decoders and
    wireless all running under a cut down version on Longhorn in a 64 bit
    environment. Imagine how good something about Mary would look then .....

    Lester Bangs, Feb 5, 2005
  10. >Personally I cant wait for this to occur. Imagine a universal player capable
    >of CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-A, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Dual Disk, DivX, DVD-R,
    >DVD+R, RVR-RW, DVD+RW, WMA, MP3, MP4, OGG, XBox 3, PS4 complete with
    >Composite, S-Video, Component, DVI, HDMI, Optical, Co-ax, RJ45, 5.1, 5.1EX,
    >6.1ES 7.1, 10.2 DD, DTS, DTS-Lossless, MPL, PCM with on board decoders and
    >wireless all running under a cut down version on Longhorn in a 64 bit
    >environment. Imagine how good something about Mary would look then .....

    All I want is an HD DVR with cablecard or DirectTV input and a built in HD-
    DVD-R

    --

    Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
    Bloomington, MN <<to email, remove the "q" from address>>
    Monte Castleman, Feb 6, 2005