    --
    Editor, Internet's Convenient and Unbiased Directory of Nutrition Software
    http://nutritionsoftware.org
    Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org, Jul 7, 2004

  2. "Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org" <nseditor2002 > wrote
    in news:cOMGc.7457$:

    > I have an NEC LCD 1810x monitor. At 7500K, R, G and B are mixed
    > equally giving me a neutral white. I've been using this setting for
    > photo and video editing.
    > However, while reading several articles on monitor callibration, I
    > found out that the color setting for monitor for the purpose of
    > hardware callibration is recommended to be 6500K(?) which on my
    > monitor gives a reddish cast.

    What is neutral and what is a reddish cast can be
    a matter of what you are used to. Some time ago I
    callibrated my monitor, using a Spyder. At first I
    thought that it was by far too red after callibration
    and that the uncallibrated was neutral. Now, after
    some months of using a callibrated monitor, I think that
    maybe the monitor look a little warmish, but when I
    turn off callibration it is definitely by far too green.

    > I have some questions:
    >
    > 1. Do LCD monitors have different color temperatures for neutral
    > white?

    I would be surprised if they did not differ.

    BTW - as I hinted above. There exist nothing called neutral
    white for any monitor, lamp or any other device that radiates
    light. A paper might be neutrla white. And the day monitors
    work with reflected light we will remove one difficult variable
    from color callibration.

    > 2. Must I change my monitor's temperature setting to do the
    > callibration?

    I am sorry to say that the only thing that worked for me was
    to get a Spyder and callibrate the monitor. Before that I never
    got the match I wanted between monitor and print. My monitor
    contained by far too much green, so there was always a mismatch.
    My pictures alwys turned out warmer on print than on the monitor,
    now they don't.

    > Many thanks for your help.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jul 7, 2004