    2003 server, both standard & enterprise. I'm less interested in the
    certification than the particular knowledge.

    What would be a good class?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuZ2ZpdHo=?=, Aug 31, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGFuZ2ZpdHo=?=

    Thor Guest

    why ?

    you can use ide-connected ram disks, only and you need no class.
    memory mapped files might be of interest, are to me, anyway, look up msdn
    createfilemappig. fix typo.

    I am not very helpful because I think it doesn't matter. You might for
    instance create a RAM disk to hold the log of tempdb, but I wouldn't suspect
    much gain from it, since sql server and the others are pretty incredible
    good implemented when it comes to performance... switching from 32-bit to
    64-bit is much more exciting performance-wise!

    53

    Thor, Sep 1, 2006

  3. Well... at what point, for example, do I realize gains by putting
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    Manager\SubSystems\Windows\ SharedSection in the registry & setting it to
    "1"? This keeps the kernel from paging. How do I figure out the best values
    for the heap? I know that by having
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    Manager\SubSystems\Windows set to the default, 1024,3072,512, I get an EINVAL
    error & crash, probably due to corruption in the open file handles pool. I
    don't get the problem at 1024,3072,4096, but is that too big? What's the
    right size? I think that I've over-configured it, but I don't know how to
    determine the smallest adequate value. How can I determine if my database is
    utilizing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    Manager\Memory
    Management\IoPageLockLimit value, or is it managing the lock tables using
    it's own environmental parameters?

    etc...

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuZ2ZpdHo=?=, Sep 1, 2006