    Otherwise I'll just use a fast-drying solvent and possibly experiment with
    wetting agents if needed.

    thanks

    Doug Smith, Feb 21, 2006

  2. Doug Smith

    frederick Guest

    Doug Smith wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > What chemical(s) are appropriate for cleaning a ccd? It seems most people
    > use Eclipse, but I have access to many different high purity chemicals as
    > well as a cleanroom and I'm interested in putting together my own cleaning
    > kit. I would guess that Eclipse is a solvent mixed with something that
    > helps with wetting. My biggest unknown is what chemicals can damage a ccd?
    > Otherwise I'll just use a fast-drying solvent and possibly experiment with
    > wetting agents if needed.
    >
    > thanks

    Eclipse - Methanol. Why would you need to add a wetting agent?
    Isopropynol works fine. Methanol evaporates a bit faster. High purity
    is needed - so no residues, but commercial "100%" seems fine.
    It isn't going on the CCD - it's going on the low pass filter. Avoid
    any strong solvents - there's glues and plastic compounds in there.
    Heed the warnings not to overdo it on quantity, and to let it soak in /
    dry out a bit on the swab before wiping the sensor. If you apply too
    much and swab it around all over the place, then you might end up with
    it seeping behind the low pass filter, and then you really will have a
    problam.

    frederick, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Doug Smith <> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >What chemical(s) are appropriate for cleaning a ccd? It seems most people
    >use Eclipse, but I have access to many different high purity chemicals as
    >well as a cleanroom and I'm interested in putting together my own cleaning
    >kit. I would guess that Eclipse is a solvent mixed with something that
    >helps with wetting. My biggest unknown is what chemicals can damage a ccd?
    >Otherwise I'll just use a fast-drying solvent and possibly experiment with
    >wetting agents if needed.

    Alcohols and ammonia based solvents (Windex!) are pretty much
    the basics.

    If you have anhydrous methanol, that should be ideal!
    Otherwise, with any of the alcohols the less water the better,
    as that is what leaves a residue.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd Davidson, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Doug Smith

    Doug Smith Guest

    Floyd Davidson <> wrote in

    > Doug Smith <> wrote:
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>What chemical(s) are appropriate for cleaning a ccd? It seems most
    >>people use Eclipse, but I have access to many different high purity
    >>chemicals as well as a cleanroom and I'm interested in putting
    >>together my own cleaning kit. I would guess that Eclipse is a solvent
    >>mixed with something that helps with wetting. My biggest unknown is
    >>what chemicals can damage a ccd? Otherwise I'll just use a fast-drying
    >>solvent and possibly experiment with wetting agents if needed.

    > Alcohols and ammonia based solvents (Windex!) are pretty much
    > the basics.
    >
    > If you have anhydrous methanol, that should be ideal!
    > Otherwise, with any of the alcohols the less water the better,
    > as that is what leaves a residue.

    I can actually do better than that, I have anhydrous pure-grain ethanol. I
    just need to make sure of the order: swab first, then drink.

    thanks for the feedback!

    Doug Smith, Feb 22, 2006
  5. Doug Smith

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 03:49:58 GMT, Doug Smith wrote:

    > I can actually do better than that, I have anhydrous pure-grain ethanol. I
    > just need to make sure of the order: swab first, then drink.

    Are you sure that you want to drink it? I thought that that was
    an oxydizing agent unless it contains some water. If so, it would
    be safer to gargle with hot sauce made from habañero peppers. :)

    ASAAR, Feb 22, 2006