What certification could I take?

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by Marc, Aug 11, 2007.

  1. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Dear group,

    I am forced changing jobs and doing legacy stuff, but I want something to
    show any future employer that I know ASP.NET. Hence I want to do some kind
    of certification. I am an experienced programmer and I have about half a
    year experience in ASP.NET 2.0. I've thorougly studied a book called
    Microsoft.NET programming from Jeff Prosise, and I have done a course
    Developing ASP.NET Web Applications using Visual Studio.NET (MOC2310) .

    Now I have some silly easy novice questions, for which I cannot find a
    direct answer in the whole wood of information I can find on line.

    First can you just do a certification only? I am not obliged to do some
    course? I just want to study a book at home and do a test.

    Second is there any specific order in which one has to do the tests, like
    you are obliged to pass test A before you can do test B?

    Third I wanted to do '70-528'. I have got the self paced training kit to
    look into from a friend at the moment. Is knowing this book enough to pass
    the exam, I mean is all the stuff asked for at the exam in the book?

    Kind Regards,
    Marc

    Marc, Aug 11, 2007

  2. Marc

    Lukas Beeler Guest

    * Marc <>:
    > First can you just do a certification only? I am not obliged to do some
    > course? I just want to study a book at home and do a test.

    Yes. Just register an account with prometric, and then schedule
    your first test.

    > Second is there any specific order in which one has to do the tests, like
    > you are obliged to pass test A before you can do test B?

    No.

    > Third I wanted to do '70-528'. I have got the self paced training kit to
    > look into from a friend at the moment. Is knowing this book enough to pass
    > the exam, I mean is all the stuff asked for at the exam in the book?

    Can't help you here, i'm not a developer. Usually the exams
    aren't that difficult if you already doing whatever is tested as
    your dayjob. measureup offers practice exams, but they're quite
    expensive. You might want just go and try if you pass the exam.

    --
    Read my blog at http://projectdream.org

    Lukas Beeler, Aug 12, 2007

  3. Marc

    Ashwin Guest

    Marc,

    For the MCTS certification that involves 528, you need to pass both 528 and
    536 not in any specific order. The latter covers more topics than the former.
    You'll probably find yourself spending more time on your study for 538 (I
    did).

    For both the tests you will need material other than what you find in the
    books. The book content for the former is far better than the latter. I found
    the 538 book to not be as good as the 528 one. It omits many topics entirely
    (which you can find on MSDN) and in some cases the material it does cover is
    not explained very well. I compiled close to 100 pages of material from MSDN
    and other sources for 538.

    For 526, there is less that the book omits, but it too does not describe
    certain topics very well - and those are explained much better in the MSDN
    docs. One example of this is Data and Page Caching which is explained quite
    poorly in the book. A much superior explanation is in the MSDN doc entitled
    "Improved Caching in ASP.NET 2.0" by Stephen Walther. The stuff I got from
    MSDN for 526 was mostly stuff like this - that was not explained well in the
    book and I found this other material useful.

    Hope that helps.

    Ashwin

    Ashwin, Aug 12, 2007