What Cert to start with from ground zero

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by SD, Dec 6, 2008.

  1. SD

    SD Guest

    Hello-

    I am interested in exploring my options with certification. Currently
    I have no certifications whatsoever except for a BS degree in
    managerial economics. I am interested in computer programming and am
    almost finished with a book on C#. Computer Science was my original
    interest as an undergrad in college...i was discouraged with a FORTRAN
    class I was required to take which was later canceled one semester
    after I finished.

    I am a bit confused by the wiki article about Microsoft certified
    professionals. If i wanted to pursue further certification in
    programming could i do that through one of the cert paths (eg
    MCTS .net 536 and 526) without pre-req...can i self study for it or do
    i need to enroll in a school?

    Any information would be helpful and appreciated

    Sincerely,
    SD.

    SD, Dec 6, 2008

  2. "SD" <> wrote in message
    > Hello-
    >
    > I am interested in exploring my options with certification. Currently
    > I have no certifications whatsoever except for a BS degree in
    > managerial economics. I am interested in computer programming and am
    > almost finished with a book on C#. Computer Science was my original
    > interest as an undergrad in college...i was discouraged with a FORTRAN
    > class I was required to take which was later canceled one semester
    > after I finished.

    > I am a bit confused by the wiki article about Microsoft certified
    > professionals. If i wanted to pursue further certification in
    > programming could i do that through one of the cert paths (eg
    > MCTS .net 536 and 526) without pre-req...can i self study for it or do
    > i need to enroll in a school?

    You can self-study, absolutely! In fact I would imagine that the greatest
    majority of successful certification candidates have achieved those
    certifications exclusively through self-study and actual work experience.
    (That is to say, formal training is a rare background for exam candidates.)

    When you feel you're ready to take the exam, create an account at
    prometric.com, pick your testing center and appointment, and show up and
    take the exam.

    Good luck! and welcome to the Microsoft certification world!

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 6, 2008

  3. Definitly go with CompTIA for starters and all your core stuff to start
    with. www.comptia.com

    and check out a school called TechSkills, It's www.techskills.edu they do
    private/adult training and onsite vender testing, and are affiliated with
    microsoft, redhat, cisco, sun microsystems, prometric, and comptia.

    Everything is onsite. I'm a MCSA/S Student there currently, working on
    finishing up!

    Best of Luck!

    Kevin aka p0rt
    Unixdev, LLC