What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4GB data filesto DVD?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by David, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. David

    David Guest

    What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4 GB data files to DVD?

    I have a new HP Pavilion PC with a single layer 8X DVD burner. The
    software that came with the PC is RecordNow 7.1, which successfully
    burns small files at 8X, but when burning a single 4.0 GB file, the
    verify option shows an error half way through. Attempting to copy the
    file back to the hard drive also produces an error at the same point.
    Running "FSUM.exe" also aborts and shows the file size as only 2 GB.

    I use Memorex 8x 4.7GB 120 min DVD+R. I've checked HP’s web site for
    firmware updates to the DVD burner; there are none. The burner shows up
    in software as a NEC ND-2100AD. It burns DVD movies with no problem.
    The basic problem is burning 4.0 GB files.

    I tried using Nero, but keep getting the Power Calibration Error before
    any data is written to disk. I tried turning off XP’s CD IMAPI
    services, as suggested. No joy.

    After ruining about 8 disks in a row, I tried CopyToDVD, and lo and
    behold, it WORKED! Unfortunately, there is no verify option in
    CopyToDVD, so I had to use FSUM.exe to verify the 4 GB file was
    identical to the source file.

    My issue now is that if I want to verify a burned DVD that has many
    files, using FSUM.exe instead of a verify option in the burner software
    is not a reasonable alternative.

    Is there another burner package I can try that might work well to burn
    large (4 GB) files to DVD? I don't mind paying up to $50 for a package,
    and am glad I gave Nero a test drive before finding that it wouldn't
    work on my system.

    It seems as though correctly copying large files requires the inclusion
    of a feature for UDF 1.02 support, which CopyToDVD has, and which I
    enabled . What other s/w has that feature? I've read lots of negative
    stuff about Roxio's s/w so not sure I want to install that one…

    David

    David, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Re: What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4GB data files to DVD?

    You need to return that pc, there is something wrong...

    Lonely Planet Boy, Oct 17, 2004

  3. David

    David Guest

    no, it's the SOFTWARE that has issues. sigh.

    David, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Re: What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4GB data files to DVD?

    any software you have tried has issues?
    If your pc cant use Nero, you are in trouble...

    Lonely Planet Boy, Oct 17, 2004
  5. David

    Bad Bubba Guest

    Re: What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4GB data files to DVD?

    Or it could be the drive that has issues.

    I personally use NERO and I have burned numerous 3 gig and 4 gig files
    (SQL data backups) with it. I have a Pioneer 108 drive burning to 4x
    RiData single-layer media.

    In article <>,
    says...

    Bad Bubba, Oct 17, 2004
  6. David

    luminos Guest

    "Bad Bubba" <> wrote in message
    > Or it could be the drive that has issues.
    >
    > I personally use NERO and I have burned numerous 3 gig and 4 gig files
    > (SQL data backups) with it. I have a Pioneer 108 drive burning to 4x
    > RiData single-layer media.

    Nero works to 4.3 gigs and I have made a number of dual layer 8+ gigs as
    well.

    luminos, Oct 17, 2004
  7. David

    David Guest

    check the web for forums with numerous Nero issues. newer versions have
    failed on pc's that worked with earlier versions of Nero. There are
    PLENTY of comments about Power calibration errors. Keep in mind that 4
    other software programs have burned correctly with my drive. I've
    burned DVD movie copies, DVD data, CD data. The issue is Nero, and
    Record Now. That's a total of TWO programs that I've had issues with.
    It is illogical to think the drive is the problem; it can burn FINE
    using appropriate software. I'd be perfectly content to use ONLY
    CopyToDVD, EXCEPT that there is no verify function. That means I have
    to use additional software to check the burned DVD's...doable, but a PITA.

    David

    David, Oct 17, 2004
  8. David

    David Guest

    I haven't bothered to try Nero with my DL drive yet...

    David

    David, Oct 17, 2004
  9. David

    luminos Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > check the web for forums with numerous Nero issues. newer versions have
    > failed on pc's that worked with earlier versions of Nero. There are
    > PLENTY of comments about Power calibration errors. Keep in mind that 4
    > other software programs have burned correctly with my drive. I've burned
    > DVD movie copies, DVD data, CD data. The issue is Nero, and Record Now.
    > That's a total of TWO programs that I've had issues with. It is illogical
    > to think the drive is the problem;

    Nonsense. Illogical. Dumb.

    luminos, Oct 17, 2004
  10. David

    smh Guest

    Re: What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4GB data filestoDVD?

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=

    ( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
    ( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

    David wrote:

    > What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4 GB data files to DVD?
    >
    > I have a new HP Pavilion PC with a single layer 8X DVD burner. The
    > software that came with the PC is RecordNow 7.1, which successfully
    > burns small files at 8X, but when burning a single 4.0 GB file, the
    > verify option shows an error half way through. Attempting to copy the
    > file back to the hard drive also produces an error at the same point.
    > Running "FSUM.exe" also aborts and shows the file size as only 2 GB.
    >
    > I use Memorex 8x 4.7GB 120 min DVD+R. I've checked HP’s web site for
    > firmware updates to the DVD burner; there are none. The burner shows up
    > in software as a NEC ND-2100AD. It burns DVD movies with no problem.
    > The basic problem is burning 4.0 GB files.
    >
    > I tried using Nero, but keep getting the Power Calibration Error before
    > any data is written to disk. I tried turning off XP’s CD IMAPI
    > services, as suggested. No joy.
    >
    > After ruining about 8 disks in a row, I tried CopyToDVD, and lo and
    > behold, it WORKED! Unfortunately, there is no verify option in
    > CopyToDVD, so I had to use FSUM.exe to verify the 4 GB file was
    > identical to the source file.
    >
    > My issue now is that if I want to verify a burned DVD that has many
    > files, using FSUM.exe instead of a verify option in the burner software
    > is not a reasonable alternative.
    >
    > Is there another burner package I can try that might work well to burn
    > large (4 GB) files to DVD? I don't mind paying up to $50 for a package,
    > and am glad I gave Nero a test drive before finding that it wouldn't
    > work on my system.
    >
    > It seems as though correctly copying large files requires the inclusion
    > of a feature for UDF 1.02 support, which CopyToDVD has, and which I
    > enabled . What other s/w has that feature? I've read lots of negative
    > stuff about Roxio's s/w so not sure I want to install that one…

    How to... write a 2GB or larger FILE to DVD
    http://www.nero.com/us/ns4_631939469946227.html

    "Important Note: The ISO standard does not allow any *FILES* over
    2gig in size to be written. So to write a FILE over 2gig in size
    to DVD, you must use the DVD-ROM (UDF) format."

    smh, Oct 17, 2004
  11. David

    David Guest

    plonk.

    ah, I feel better! I hate arguing with someone like you.

    David

    David, Oct 17, 2004
  12. David

    PWY Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > plonk.
    >
    > ah, I feel better! I hate arguing with someone like you.
    >
    > David
    >
    > luminos wrote:
    >
    >> Nonsense. Illogical. Dumb.

    Good move.
    The disc calibration error usually means the media is not acceptable or up
    to standard.
    Try a better grade of media with Nero.
    Hope this helps.
    PWY

    PWY, Oct 18, 2004
  13. David

    Bad Bubba Guest

    Re: What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4GB data files to DVD?

    In article <>,
    says...
    > check the web for forums with numerous Nero issues. newer versions have
    > failed on pc's that worked with earlier versions of Nero. There are
    > PLENTY of comments about Power calibration errors. Keep in mind that 4
    > other software programs have burned correctly with my drive. I've
    > burned DVD movie copies, DVD data, CD data. The issue is Nero, and
    > Record Now. That's a total of TWO programs that I've had issues with.
    > It is illogical to think the drive is the problem; it can burn FINE
    > using appropriate software. I'd be perfectly content to use ONLY
    > CopyToDVD, EXCEPT that there is no verify function. That means I have
    > to use additional software to check the burned DVD's...doable, but a PITA.

    I have had "power calibration" errors with Nero before, but it's always
    been with "suspect" media. My wife bought me an off brand of DVD-R's
    and I got two or three that caused such an error. I don't let her buy
    be discs anymore.

    I've NEVER had that problem with RiData branded media or Pioneer media
    (whoever makes that for Pioneer).

    Bad Bubba, Oct 18, 2004
  14. David

    David Guest

    I use expensive Memorex media.

    David

    David, Oct 18, 2004
  15. David

    David Guest

    Re: What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4GB data filestoDVD?

    I selected the UDF format, just like my successful burn later in the day
    using CopytoDVD. I took Nero off my PC...

    David

    David, Oct 18, 2004