    How can this be fixed?

    --
    - Mama Bear

    Mama Bear, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Mama Bear

    Guest

    Mama Bear <> wrote:

    |>I love the Seamonkey browser but it's doing something that I've only seen
    |>before in Netscape browsers. Every once in awhile I get a paragraph of
    |>text superimposed on another one, which makes a jumbled mess look that's
    |>hard to read.

    Read your help file for custom layout should be a toggle for it.

    |>If I switch to Internet Explorer <shudder> and try it, it's ok in there.
    |>How can this be fixed?

    With www.Opera.com if you get a screw'd up page you would just hit
    Shift-G - I do this a lot lately when I increase the page.

    --
    http://www.sixside.com/13_things_that_do_not_make_sense.htm

    , Jun 9, 2006

  3. Mama Bear wrote:

    > I love the Seamonkey browser but it's doing something that I've only
    > seen before in Netscape browsers. Every once in awhile I get a
    > paragraph of text superimposed on another one, which makes a jumbled
    > mess look that's hard to read.

    SeaMonkey is a good browser. What you are seeing could be an author
    error, from an author who doesn't realize there are browsers other than
    IE.

    What is the URL of one of these pages, and exactly what text is
    "superimposed". And do you have a larger font setting, perhaps for a
    vision problem?

    > If I switch to Internet Explorer <shudder> and try it, it's ok in
    > there. How can this be fixed?

    After seeing the page, an answer might be forthcoming. <g>

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    wrote :

    > Mama Bear <> wrote:
    >
    >|>I love the Seamonkey browser but it's doing something that I've only
    >|>seen before in Netscape browsers. Every once in awhile I get a
    >|>paragraph of text superimposed on another one, which makes a jumbled
    >|>mess look that's hard to read.
    >
    > Read your help file for custom layout should be a toggle for it.
    >
    >|>If I switch to Internet Explorer <shudder> and try it, it's ok in
    >|>there. How can this be fixed?
    >
    > With www.Opera.com if you get a screw'd up page you would just hit
    > Shift-G - I do this a lot lately when I increase the page.

    I'm not into Opera but started looking into the top menus now that you
    mentioned it, and found View - Use Style, and set that to None instead
    of default style, and it fixed it. I hope it stays ok, but it's a start.

    --
    - Mama Bear

    Mama Bear, Jun 9, 2006
  5. Mama Bear wrote:

    > I'm not into Opera but started looking into the top menus now that you
    > mentioned it, and found View - Use Style, and set that to None
    > instead of default style, and it fixed it. I hope it stays ok, but
    > it's a start.

    That's not the answer you want.

    When you get to a modern site that uses CSS style sheets instead of
    ancient presentational HTML, the layout will completely disappear.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 9, 2006
  6. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote :

    > Mama Bear wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not into Opera but started looking into the top menus now that you
    >> mentioned it, and found View - Use Style, and set that to None
    >> instead of default style, and it fixed it. I hope it stays ok, but
    >> it's a start.

    > That's not the answer you want.
    >
    > When you get to a modern site that uses CSS style sheets instead of
    > ancient presentational HTML, the layout will completely disappear.

    Hmm. Yeah it didn't work so well at netflix just now.

    --
    - Mama Bear

    Mama Bear, Jun 9, 2006
  7. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote :

    > Mama Bear wrote:
    >
    >> I love the Seamonkey browser but it's doing something that I've only
    >> seen before in Netscape browsers. Every once in awhile I get a
    >> paragraph of text superimposed on another one, which makes a jumbled
    >> mess look that's hard to read.

    > SeaMonkey is a good browser. What you are seeing could be an author
    > error, from an author who doesn't realize there are browsers other

    than
    > IE.
    >
    > What is the URL of one of these pages, and exactly what text is
    > "superimposed".

    It's at some private membership pages unfortunately. Can I post a screen
    shot here without getting crap for it?

    >And do you have a larger font setting, perhaps for a
    > vision problem?

    No, but I have dinked with the fonts a little. I just like them bigger
    and easier to read. ( hey I'm 57 :)

    >> If I switch to Internet Explorer <shudder> and try it, it's ok in
    >> there. How can this be fixed?

    > After seeing the page, an answer might be forthcoming. <g>

    I'm about to start my own martial arts school and this is some marketing
    materials and business pages that you have to join an orgnization to
    see.

    --
    - Mama Bear

    Mama Bear, Jun 9, 2006
  8. Mama Bear

    Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    |>Mama Bear wrote:
    |>
    |>> I'm not into Opera but started looking into the top menus now that you
    |>> mentioned it, and found View - Use Style, and set that to None
    |>> instead of default style, and it fixed it. I hope it stays ok, but
    |>> it's a start.

    |>That's not the answer you want.

    |>When you get to a modern site that uses CSS style sheets instead of
    |>ancient presentational HTML, the layout will completely disappear.

    Check it out http://slashdot.org/ hard to read, Shift-G everything
    larger and one after the other, just need to get used to it.

  9. Mama Bear wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote :
    > <snippage>
    >> What is the URL of one of these pages, and exactly what text is
    >> "superimposed".

    > It's at some private membership pages unfortunately. Can I post a
    > screen shot here without getting crap for it?

    No, you shouldn't post a binary to a text-only group. Got web spaces?

    >> And do you have a larger font setting, perhaps for a vision problem?

    > No, but I have dinked with the fonts a little. I just like them
    > bigger and easier to read. ( hey I'm 57 :)

    57? Youngster!

    >>> If I switch to Internet Explorer <shudder> and try it, it's ok in
    >>> there. How can this be fixed?

    >> After seeing the page, an answer might be forthcoming. <g>

    > I'm about to start my own martial arts school and this is some
    > marketing materials and business pages that you have to join an
    > orgnization to see.

    Is there a gateway page available that might show the problem? This
    sounds to me as if the author of your specific site doesn't know how to
    set font sizes and the sizing of the containers the text is in. When you
    increase your browser's font (probably by pressing Control-Plus) the
    text spills out of the container into the next one.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 9, 2006
  10. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote :

    > Mama Bear wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote :
    >> <snippage>
    >>> What is the URL of one of these pages, and exactly what text is
    >>> "superimposed".

    >> It's at some private membership pages unfortunately. Can I post a
    >> screen shot here without getting crap for it?

    > No, you shouldn't post a binary to a text-only group. Got web spaces?

    Oh all right. :)
    http://lakewoodcolorado.net/photos/Seamonkey overlapping text.jpg

    >>> And do you have a larger font setting, perhaps for a vision problem?

    >> No, but I have dinked with the fonts a little. I just like them
    >> bigger and easier to read. ( hey I'm 57 :)

    > 57? Youngster!

    Still doin' kung fu. ( started at 50 )

    >>> After seeing the page, an answer might be forthcoming. <g>

    >> I'm about to start my own martial arts school and this is some
    >> marketing materials and business pages that you have to join an
    >> orgnization to see.

    > Is there a gateway page available that might show the problem? This
    > sounds to me as if the author of your specific site doesn't know how

    > set font sizes and the sizing of the containers the text is in. When

    you
    > increase your browser's font (probably by pressing Control-Plus) the
    > text spills out of the container into the next one.

    Wowee, I didn't even know about that Ctrl+ or Ctl- thingie. What a cool
    cat toy.

    Well when I look at it again and it overlaps, I can get it to stop
    overlapping by using Ctrl- but only when it gets so tiny that I can't
    read the text.

    --
    - Mama Bear

    Mama Bear, Jun 9, 2006
  11. Mama Bear wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote :
    >
    >> Mama Bear wrote:
    >>> It's at some private membership pages unfortunately. Can I post a
    >>> screen shot here without getting crap for it?

    >> No, you shouldn't post a binary to a text-only group. Got web spaces?

    > Oh all right. :)
    > http://lakewoodcolorado.net/photos/Seamonkey overlapping text.jpg

    Oh jeez. That is definitely a case of "author error" and I would be
    notifying said author to have a look in a better browser.

    S/He is effectively rendering the site useless for, oh, 20% of visitors?
    Similar to shutting off the server for a couple of months every year.
    <g>

    >>> No, but I have dinked with the fonts a little. I just like them
    >>> bigger and easier to read. ( hey I'm 57 :)

    >> 57? Youngster!

    > Still doin' kung fu. ( started at 50 )

    ...but you're still a kid.

    >> Is there a gateway page available that might show the problem? This
    >> sounds to me as if the author of your specific site doesn't know how
    >> to set font sizes and the sizing of the containers the text is in.
    >> When you increase your browser's font (probably by pressing
    >> Control-Plus) the text spills out of the container into the next
    >> one.

    > Wowee, I didn't even know about that Ctrl+ or Ctl- thingie. What a
    > cool cat toy.

    Yep, all the Mozilla browsers have that function.

    > Well when I look at it again and it overlaps, I can get it to stop
    > overlapping by using Ctrl- but only when it gets so tiny that I can't
    > read the text.

    ...which proves the point. The author is clueless.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 9, 2006