    shut down abruptly and then reboot itself. It is a 2-year old HP Tower
    running Windows XP Home Edition with SBC DSL. What kinds of things
    should I look at first? Any help is appreciated.
    Skip Tomylew, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Skip Tomylew

    AG Guest

    "Skip Tomylew" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just got off the phone with a client and her computer is starting to
    > shut down abruptly and then reboot itself. It is a 2-year old HP Tower
    > running Windows XP Home Edition with SBC DSL. What kinds of things
    > should I look at first? Any help is appreciated.

    HP computers have lots of problems with power supplies. I'd also look to be
    sure that all of the fans were working.

    AG
    AG, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Skip Tomylew

    Skip Tomylew Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I just got off the phone with a client and her computer is starting to
    > shut down abruptly and then reboot itself. It is a 2-year old HP Tower
    > running Windows XP Home Edition with SBC DSL. What kinds of things
    > should I look at first? Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check it out, being mindful
    of the things suggested, then get back with the group. Thanks everyone
    for being so helpful!
    Skip Tomylew, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Skip Tomylew

    Skip Tomylew Guest

    In article <mOikd.10601$>,
    says...

    > "Skip Tomylew" <> wrote in message
    > >I just got off the phone with a client and her computer is starting to
    > > shut down abruptly and then reboot itself. It is a 2-year old HP Tower
    > > running Windows XP Home Edition with SBC DSL. What kinds of things
    > > should I look at first? Any help is appreciated.

    > Some of these suggestions are good but you should also go into the Device
    > Manager, click Advanced and then the Settings for "Startup and recovery",
    > then remove the check for automatic restart which stops this booting and
    > which will enable you to see what error messages come up and point to what
    > the problem could be.

    Good Advice!
    Skip Tomylew, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Skip Tomylew

    Jack Guest

    >I just got off the phone with a client and her computer is starting to
    > shut down abruptly and then reboot itself. It is a 2-year old HP Tower
    > running Windows XP Home Edition with SBC DSL. What kinds of things
    > should I look at first? Any help is appreciated.

    Do you have the latest MS updates? This almost sounds like the MSBlaster
    virus from about a year or so ago.
    Jack, Nov 13, 2004