    - recording directly off a tv broadcast (requires tv card)
    - copying DVD-Rom's (if you can find one)

    Is there anything else?

    William Ormsby, Jul 25, 2003

  2. On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:09:00 GMT, (William Ormsby) wrote:

    >I'm looking at a DVD writer, specifically
    >
    >http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire//product.asp?pf_id=228404&dept_id=1300040
    >
    >which is a dual format writer for under $450
    >
    >Aside from the following, what else can you use a DVD writer for?
    >
    >- copying DVD movies (need special software to compress dual layer
    >discs)
    >- backing up data
    >- converting from VHS or other outside video source to DVD (requires
    >tv card)
    >- recording directly off a tv broadcast (requires tv card)
    >- copying DVD-Rom's (if you can find one)
    >
    >Is there anything else?

    Yes door stop.

    Greg Townsend, Jul 25, 2003

  3. William Ormsby

    tim Guest

    hmm, other ideas i don't know. here is what i do know...

    I have had a dvd writer for around 1yr now (Pioneer ao3). This is my
    advice...

    Cloning dvd is definately useful and very easy to do, and the quality is not
    bad either. These play fine in xbox, standalone dvd player, etc. Cost of
    hiring dvd's in NZ isn't cheap tho..

    Backing up data is great, useful for divx (6 movies per disk), mp3, ghost
    images, etc. Need to be very careful with the disks tho, pre/post
    recording...

    As for converting from VHS, etc unless your into home video editing this
    will unlikely prove useful.
    Same with recording from TV, sounds good in theory, won't happen. For one
    (assuming your talking about recording on the fly to dvd+-rw), unless your
    tv card has hardware encoding support your system will not keep up with
    recording to disk.

    I think the biggest factor about DVD-+R is the cost of the media, something
    many people seem to forget about. Don't buy your disks in NZ because they
    will cost you a fortune, I brought a 50 pack (went thru it in about a month,
    hehe) from www.meritline.com. Posting cost me nearly half as much again but
    they were still alot cheaper than buying locally (actually i was in korea,
    they're even expensive over there!).

    Use can use www.pricewatch.com to find other places to buy from...

    ps prove me wrong about buying dvd-+r locally people. How much are you all
    paying for your media, what kind is it, etc.

    bye

    tim, Jul 25, 2003
  4. William Ormsby

    Peter Murray Guest

    "Greg Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:09:00 GMT, (William Ormsby) wrote:
    >

    > >I'm looking at a DVD writer, specifically
    > >

    >http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire//product.asp?pf_id=228404&dept_id=1300040
    > >
    > >which is a dual format writer for under $450
    > >
    > >Aside from the following, what else can you use a DVD writer for?
    > >
    > >- copying DVD movies (need special software to compress dual layer
    > >discs)
    > >- backing up data
    > >- converting from VHS or other outside video source to DVD (requires
    > >tv card)
    > >- recording directly off a tv broadcast (requires tv card)
    > >- copying DVD-Rom's (if you can find one)
    > >
    > >Is there anything else?
    > >

    > Yes door stop.

    Cup holder

    Peter Murray, Jul 25, 2003
  5. William Ormsby

    Rats Guest

    > I'm looking at a DVD writer, specifically
    >
    > http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire//product.asp?pf_id=228404&dept_id=1300040
    >
    > which is a dual format writer for under $450
    >
    > Aside from the following, what else can you use a DVD writer for?
    >
    > - copying DVD movies (need special software to compress dual layer
    > discs)
    > - backing up data
    > - converting from VHS or other outside video source to DVD (requires
    > tv card)
    > - recording directly off a tv broadcast (requires tv card)
    > - copying DVD-Rom's (if you can find one)
    >
    > Is there anything else?

    Yes! You can burn something onto a DVD for me!!!

    Rats, Jul 25, 2003
  6. William Ormsby

    tim Guest

    actually they're great for backing up tv series too :)

    if ur a sci-fi geek like me that is very useful, hehe eg seven series of 21
    eps of high quality stargate episodes. Thats over 30gb. Try that with cdr...

    tim, Jul 26, 2003
  7. William Ormsby

    tim Guest

    no, i just double checked and its actually over 50gb. hehehehe

    tim, Jul 26, 2003
  8. William Ormsby

    James West Guest

    "> ps prove me wrong about buying dvd-+r locally people. How much are you
    all
    > paying for your media, what kind is it, etc.

    $9.99 Philips DVD+R

    James West, Jul 26, 2003
  9. William Ormsby

    tim Guest

    whoa, that is expensive!

    tim, Jul 26, 2003
  10. William Ormsby

    Gary Morton Guest

    Re: What can you do with a DVD writer?-Blank prices

    DVD Prices
    From trademe,ritek +R $4.75 (2.4x)+postage,Ritek -R,$4.40 incl. postage
    gary

    Gary Morton, Jul 27, 2003