What can I do with a Sinclair ZX Spectrum?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by RdM, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. RdM

    RdM Guest

    I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.

    Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?

    Else I am going to auction it in vintage computers on TradeMe.

    I have no software or other peripherals to go with it.

    Any ideas? Or is it better going to some enthusiast via auction?
     
    RdM, Aug 29, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RdM

    PAM. Guest

    "RdM" <> wrote in message
    > I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.
    > Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?
    > Else I am going to auction it in vintage computers on TradeMe.
    > I have no software or other peripherals to go with it.
    > Any ideas? Or is it better going to some enthusiast via auction?


    Is it one with a built in tape deck? Maybe you can check the 'net for games
    and ways of getting it onto the machine?

    PAM.
     
    PAM., Aug 29, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RdM

    Thor Guest

    PAM. wrote:

    > "RdM" <> wrote in message
    >> I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.
    >> Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?
    >> Else I am going to auction it in vintage computers on TradeMe.
    >> I have no software or other peripherals to go with it.
    >> Any ideas? Or is it better going to some enthusiast via auction?

    >
    > Is it one with a built in tape deck? Maybe you can check the 'net for
    > games and ways of getting it onto the machine?
    >
    > PAM.


    Even without a built in tape deck, get hold of an old one, they are just
    audio files, you can play them from your speakers and then record them with
    a mike onto tapes for use in that machine. The BBC used to play them across
    the radio and it was just a matter of taping them.


    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor
     
    Thor, Aug 29, 2005
    #3
  4. RdM

    PAM. Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > Even without a built in tape deck, get hold of an old one, they are just
    > audio files, you can play them from your speakers and then record them

    with
    > a mike onto tapes for use in that machine. The BBC used to play them

    across
    > the radio and it was just a matter of taping them.


    I'd prefer burning them to CD and then copying them from CD to tape on a
    musc box

    PAM.
     
    PAM., Aug 29, 2005
    #4
  5. RdM

    Richard Guest

    PAM. wrote:

    > I'd prefer burning them to CD and then copying them from CD to tape on a
    > musc box


    Of just plug the line out of the PC to the spectrum and play the file straight
    into it.

    where can you download stuff from? I have an old spectrum at mums place but I
    dont have a tape deck anymore and dont really feel like buying one
     
    Richard, Aug 29, 2005
    #5
  6. RdM

    Thor Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > PAM. wrote:
    >
    >> I'd prefer burning them to CD and then copying them from CD to tape on a
    >> musc box

    >
    > Of just plug the line out of the PC to the spectrum and play the file
    > straight into it.


    You'd have to watch the levels, they were very sensitive can't be to loud
    or too soft and you need all the treble you can get before getting hiss.

    >
    > where can you download stuff from? I have an old spectrum at mums place
    > but I dont have a tape deck anymore and dont really feel like buying one


    Here's a good starting place

    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/archive.html



    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor
     
    Thor, Aug 30, 2005
    #6
  7. RdM

    Daniel Guest

    Or plug the CD player into the sinclair.. "my Sinclair has a CD ROM ;-)"

    PAM. wrote:
    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Even without a built in tape deck, get hold of an old one, they are just
    >>audio files, you can play them from your speakers and then record them

    >
    > with
    >
    >>a mike onto tapes for use in that machine. The BBC used to play them

    >
    > across
    >
    >>the radio and it was just a matter of taping them.

    >
    >
    > I'd prefer burning them to CD and then copying them from CD to tape on a
    > musc box
    >
    > PAM.
    >
    >
     
    Daniel, Aug 30, 2005
    #7
  8. RdM

    Thor Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Or plug the CD player into the sinclair.. "my Sinclair has a CD ROM ;-)"
    >


    That would probably work to, straight from the cd headphone socket, the
    only rouble would be finding the games :) You would get heaps on a cd.



    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor
     
    Thor, Aug 30, 2005
    #8
  9. RdM

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:00:05 +1200, RdM wrote:

    > I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.
    >
    > Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?
    >
    > Else I am going to auction it in vintage computers on TradeMe.
    >
    > I have no software or other peripherals to go with it.
    >
    > Any ideas? Or is it better going to some enthusiast via auction?


    I remember spending a lot of time playing Tomahawk - an Apache gunship
    flight sim with a relatively realistic flight model and even a 'real time'
    campaign.

    I still marvel about how they managed to fit that into 48k. It was quite
    amazing how games progressed for it - from simple crap like Horace and the
    spiders up to stuff like Elite and Tomahawk.

    I think I blew about two years worth of paper run savings on that machine :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
     
    AD., Aug 30, 2005
    #9
  10. RdM

    steve Guest

    RdM wrote:
    > I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.
    >
    > Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?


    "Lords of Midnight" (IIRC) was an awesome game at the time.

    > Else I am going to auction it in vintage computers on TradeMe.
    >
    > I have no software or other peripherals to go with it.


    Too bad.

    > Any ideas? Or is it better going to some enthusiast via auction?


    Better to an enthusiast - by whatever means.
     
    steve, Aug 30, 2005
    #10
  11. RdM

    Thor Guest

    AD. wrote:


    >
    > I remember spending a lot of time playing Tomahawk - an Apache gunship
    > flight sim with a relatively realistic flight model and even a 'real time'
    > campaign.


    The way I used to start was sit on the helipad and track the incoming and
    take them out with missiles then head for the target buildings.

    >
    > I still marvel about how they managed to fit that into 48k. It was quite
    > amazing how games progressed for it - from simple crap like Horace and the
    > spiders up to stuff like Elite and Tomahawk.


    Wec lemans was another great one. There was of course sim city too.

    >
    > I think I blew about two years worth of paper run savings on that machine
    > :)
    >


    I used to bring the games in from the UK, those were the days.


    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor
     
    Thor, Aug 30, 2005
    #11
  12. RdM

    Thor Guest

    steve wrote:

    > RdM wrote:
    >> I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.
    >>
    >> Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?

    >
    > "Lords of Midnight" (IIRC) was an awesome game at the time.
    >
    >


    There is actually a version of that for dos

    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor
     
    Thor, Aug 30, 2005
    #12
  13. T'was the Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:00:05 +1200 when I remembered RdM
    <> saying something like this:

    >I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.
    >
    >Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?
    >
    >Else I am going to auction it in vintage computers on TradeMe.
    >
    >I have no software or other peripherals to go with it.
    >
    >Any ideas? Or is it better going to some enthusiast via auction?


    BB server? :)
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
     
    Waylon Kenning, Aug 30, 2005
    #13
  14. RdM

    Richard Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Or plug the CD player into the sinclair.. "my Sinclair has a CD ROM ;-)"
    >>

    >
    >
    > That would probably work to, straight from the cd headphone socket, the
    > only rouble would be finding the games :) You would get heaps on a cd.


    No you wouldnt, a cd holds at best about 80-90 mins of audio, and i recall some
    of the games taking up to 5 mins to load, so thats only 18 games.
     
    Richard, Aug 30, 2005
    #14
  15. RdM

    RdM Guest

    Thor <> wrote in
    nz.comp<5wMQe.6961$>:
    > Richard wrote:

    <...>
    > > where can you download stuff from? I have an old spectrum at mums place
    > > but I dont have a tape deck anymore and dont really feel like buying one

    >
    > Here's a good starting place
    >
    > http://www.worldofspectrum.org/archive.html


    Great link, thanks!
    I realised I'd actually been to the home page in the past too, but had
    forgotten about it. OK, there's plenty of software (and even cassette
    covers!) and useful suggestions have been made re transferring it in.
    I even have an old slim mono portable cassette player that would be a useful
    match for it if it were to be given away with some program copies ...
    Or I might sell it as before. Thanks for the contributions, everyone.
    --
    RdM
     
    RdM, Aug 30, 2005
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dave

    Symbol Spectrum 24 with Win 98 ?

    Dave, Mar 30, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    682
  2. Ed

    locked out of Spectrum 24 AP

    Ed, Jul 5, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    559
  3. Ed
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    486
  4. Alt/Ctrl/Del

    Problems with Timex/Sinclair 1000

    Alt/Ctrl/Del, Oct 24, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    905
  5. Muze Groops

    VAX, Osborne One, Sinclair 1000 and other dinosaurs.

    Muze Groops, Jan 19, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    1,746
    Muze Groops
    Jan 23, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page