What can FXO do?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Dmitriy Stepanenko, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Hi, all,

    Please educate me a little about cisco FXO voice ports: what they can
    do and how they can be used? (easy to guess, I am very little familiar
    with the telephony technologies) Viz, if I connect such a port to the
    subscriber line of the office telephone mini-switch (LG LDK key
    system, for example), this port will look like an ordinary phone from
    the switch's point of view (as I understand). So, naturally, the
    router should be able to transfer calls from the VoIP network to the
    switch and further. But what about the opposite direction?

    I mean, if a user dial the FXO line number from his phone (connected
    to the same mini-switch), the switch will send a call to the FXO port,
    FXO will go off-hook and and what about further:

    1) Will FXO be able to listen to additional digits (dialed with tone
    from the user's phone) and depending on them transfer the call to the
    right destination over the IP-network? Or it can only connect all
    calls coming from PSTN to the single assigned destination as an
    ordinary phone would do?

    2) If the answer for the previous question is "yes, it can", so will
    FXO be able to encourage the user for dialing these additional digits
    with some sound signal (beep/boom/bang...) immediately after going
    off-hook?

    --
    Dmitriy Stepanenko
    system engineer, PrivatBank
    Dmitriy Stepanenko, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Dmitriy Stepanenko

    Tosh Guest

    > 1) Will FXO be able to listen to additional digits (dialed with tone
    > from the user's phone) and depending on them transfer the call to the
    > right destination over the IP-network? Or it can only connect all
    > calls coming from PSTN to the single assigned destination as an
    > ordinary phone would do?

    The both, you can assign a fixed destination to the fxo port with the
    "connection plar" command or you can route the call wherever you want simply
    dialing additional digits.

    > 2) If the answer for the previous question is "yes, it can", so will
    > FXO be able to encourage the user for dialing these additional digits
    > with some sound signal (beep/boom/bang...) immediately after going
    > off-hook?

    If you simply dial the extension number corresponding to the switch port the
    fxo is connected to it goes off-hook and prompts a dial tone to the user, if
    you dial the extension number followed by the destination number, the
    switch should pass the second one to the fxo port in form of dtmf digits,
    then the fxo immediatly tries to route the call without issueing a dial
    tone.
    Bye,
    Tosh.
    Tosh, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Please excuse me my ipmportunity. :) Your answer seemed very helpful
    for me but I want to make sure that you've understood my question
    right and I've understood your answer right too before I decide to
    order rather expensive equipment. I'm going to buy NM-HDA module with
    additional port modules, which can be either FXS and FXO. FXOs seem to
    be more suitable, because they can be connected to the subscriber
    lines of the office switch and therefore adressed directly with
    internal phone numbers, whereas FXSs should be connected to CO lines.
    But I am somewhat in doubt because I can imagine how FXS will behave
    (I believe I can :) ), but FXO seems to me somewhat mysterious,
    because it simulates a phone but should accept dialed digits (I want
    it to accept :) ).

    > > 1) Will FXO be able to listen to additional digits (dialed with tone
    > > from the user's phone) and depending on them transfer the call to the
    > > right destination over the IP-network? Or it can only connect all
    > > calls coming from PSTN to the single assigned destination as an
    > > ordinary phone would do?
    > >

    > The both, you can assign a fixed destination to the fxo port with the
    > "connection plar" command or you can route the call wherever you want simply
    > dialing additional digits.

    We talk about FXO, not FXS, right?

    > If you simply dial the extension number corresponding to the switch port the
    > fxo is connected to it goes off-hook and prompts a dial tone to the user,

    This is what I wanted to hear. This is good, but it sounds a little
    strange for me because FXO should simulate a phone (if I am right) and
    phones usually do not provide a dial tone.

    Thank you and once more excuse me for repeating almost the same
    questions.

    --
    Dmitriy Stepanenko.
    Dmitriy Stepanenko, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Dmitriy Stepanenko

    Tosh Guest

    > (I believe I can :) ), but FXO seems to me somewhat mysterious,
    > because it simulates a phone but should accept dialed digits (I want
    > it to accept :) ).

    Now I know that you work with PBXs :)
    It's pretty normal for someone with such a background to be a little
    confused about voip, it

    Tosh, Jul 6, 2004
  5. Dmitriy Stepanenko

    Tosh Guest

    Sorry, I pressed inadvertly the enter key and I sent an incomplete post.
    I was saying that voip reverts most of the rules of the traditional
    telephony, so it's normal to have doubts such those you have.
    If it can help, think about the fxo port just like a strange phone connected
    to two pbxs, it's not the phone itself that promps a dial tone and route
    calls, but the second pbx at wich the phone is connected (the router).
    Bye,
    Tosh
    Tosh, Jul 6, 2004