What can cause a Wireless network to stop receiving?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jay, Nov 11, 2007.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    I know this is a general question, but I have little info, except that my
    wireless connection will sometimes just stop receiving. I can see it sending
    a few bytes in the connection status and in the performance monitor. After a
    minute, or so, I get the message that the "wireless is now connected" and
    everythings fine.

    I have a feelng this isn't the wireless, but my machine, as I know the
    router drops off sometimes and reconnects. This is because the performance
    monitor seems to stop reporting data while the connection is hung - not
    completly sure though.

    e-machine, Windows XP Home
    2Wire wireless PCI card (signal strength never goes below 18 Mbps)
    2Wire Gateway
    1 Mbps DSL

    Jay

    Jay, Nov 11, 2007

  2. I would check the security settings first.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Nov 11, 2007

  3. Hi
    This behavior can be caused by strong signal Noise coming from another
    Wireless system.
    Try to set your Wireless Router to different Channels and find out which one
    yields the Best results.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 12, 2007
  4. Jay

    Jay Guest

    What security settings? The Gateway? Network Properties? And what about
    them?

    Jay, Nov 12, 2007
  5. Jay

    Jay Guest

    \> This behavior can be caused by strong signal Noise coming from another
    > Wireless system.

    I have only seen one other wireless network show up and its signal was weak.

    > Try to set your Wireless Router to different Channels and find out which
    > one yields the Best results.

    I started on ch 1, moved to 10 on the advive of AT&T Tech support, moved
    again to 8 on another guys advice and I just changed it yo 4.

    This is, however, the first time I've understood what I am changing.

    I am, however curious as to what Robert was refering to when he said to
    "check security settings". From what I've seen, you either have it set
    compatibly, or you don't.

    Thanks,
    Jay

    Jay, Nov 12, 2007
  6. Do a simple test. On the wireless router setup wireless without any
    security, can you access the wireless?

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Nov 12, 2007
  7. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Dude, while I appreciate the effort, I said "sometimes just stop receiving".
    The test you're refering to is for no connection at all.

    Thanks, anyway.

    Jay

    Jay, Nov 13, 2007
  8. Hi
    Stop receiving is usually doe to either strong periodical environmental
    Noise (like the use of 2.4GHz cordless phone), or the Router get clogged by
    unfit activity like massive P2P exchange.
    Try to change the Router channels and see if another channel yields better
    results.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 13, 2007
  9. Jay

    Poddys Guest

    My US Robotics router used to throw a fit and lock up permanently if
    you sent too much data through it (copy a large volume of data or try
    and watch a video across the network).

    The problem was diagnosed as a fault in the latest bios version. I
    went back to an older one and it's been ok since.
    Might just be something inherrent with your particular router.
    As Jack said - a massive P2P exchange...

    Poddys, Nov 13, 2007