What camera should I buy? I'm thinking about getting into RAW photography...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alex Kadis, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. Alex Kadis

    Alex Kadis Guest

    Hello All,

    I was told this was the place to ask this sort of question, if it
    isn't, my apologies.

    I've been mostly using iPhoto and it works for most of my needs, as I
    tend to just use it as a photo database. When I want to edit, I hit
    export and edit in Photoshop.

    I have a brand new Casio EX-Z850 that works amazingly well for
    point-and-shoot. The portability of the thing is unmatched, and it's
    fairly powerful for such a small camera. (I have some example shots if
    you'd like to see them, BTW)

    I've just gotten into my head the idea of maybe buying a DSLR camera
    with RAW enabled. I am trying to decide firstly if it's worthwhile. I'm
    not a professional, but an enthusiast student who has, quite frankly,
    not a ton of time to take photos. Despite that, I am really thinking it
    would be fun to pick photography back up as a hobby.

    I could easily just take my little camera around with me everywhere,
    but I tend toward landscapes and the Casio is best for quick portraits.
    Besides, I've been really itching to take some good macro and wide lens
    photography.

    I'm partial to Canon cameras, my first real camera was a Canon... a
    Rebel 2000, and my father owns a great Canon SLR that I've gotten to
    play with.

    I've never used RAW before, but it seems like a fun challenge.

    Finally, I would want a camera that is very compatible with the Mac OS.

    Anyway...

    Is now a good time to buy a DSLR? Should I wait for more cameras to
    natively support Adobe DNG (if that will happen)? What camera do you
    suggest I buy? (I am a student so funds aren't infinite, mind you) The
    Rebel XT looks nice and reviews seem great... what do you guys think?
    Should I save up for a new camera, or just stick with my little Casio?

    Thank you for your time.
    Alex Kadis, Dec 5, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Alex Kadis wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I was told this was the place to ask this sort of question, if it
    > isn't, my apologies.
    >
    > I've been mostly using iPhoto and it works for most of my needs, as I
    > tend to just use it as a photo database. When I want to edit, I hit
    > export and edit in Photoshop.
    >
    > I have a brand new Casio EX-Z850 that works amazingly well for
    > point-and-shoot. The portability of the thing is unmatched, and it's
    > fairly powerful for such a small camera. (I have some example shots if
    > you'd like to see them, BTW)
    >
    > I've just gotten into my head the idea of maybe buying a DSLR camera
    > with RAW enabled. I am trying to decide firstly if it's worthwhile.
    > I'm not a professional, but an enthusiast student who has, quite
    > frankly, not a ton of time to take photos. Despite that, I am really
    > thinking it would be fun to pick photography back up as a hobby.
    >
    > I could easily just take my little camera around with me everywhere,
    > but I tend toward landscapes and the Casio is best for quick
    > portraits. Besides, I've been really itching to take some good macro
    > and wide lens photography.
    >
    > I'm partial to Canon cameras, my first real camera was a Canon... a
    > Rebel 2000, and my father owns a great Canon SLR that I've gotten to
    > play with.
    >
    > I've never used RAW before, but it seems like a fun challenge.
    >
    > Finally, I would want a camera that is very compatible with the Mac
    > OS.
    >
    > Anyway...
    >
    > Is now a good time to buy a DSLR? Should I wait for more cameras to
    > natively support Adobe DNG (if that will happen)? What camera do you
    > suggest I buy? (I am a student so funds aren't infinite, mind you) The
    > Rebel XT looks nice and reviews seem great... what do you guys think?
    > Should I save up for a new camera, or just stick with my little Casio?
    >
    > Thank you for your time.


    Frankly I think you are on the right track. You have answered most of
    the question you need to answer before buying a camera. The only one I did
    not hear is how does it feel in your hands. Go out and pick one up. move
    the controls and see how it feels.

    Good Luck

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Dec 6, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Alex Kadis

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 01:08:47 GMT, Joseph Meehan wrote:

    > Frankly I think you are on the right track. You have answered most of
    > the question you need to answer before buying a camera. The only one I did
    > not hear is how does it feel in your hands. Go out and pick one up. move
    > the controls and see how it feels.


    One more would be to check RAW software to see which brands and
    models are supported. Some of them may have very limited options.
    Fuji's own RAW support for some of their cameras is abysmal, and
    only one other software option seems to be available. S7raw is
    free, but owners of other brands of cameras may not be as fortunate.
    ASAAR, Dec 6, 2006
    #3
  4. Re: What camera should I buy? I'm thinking about getting into RAWphotography...

    Alex Kadis wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I was told this was the place to ask this sort of question, if it
    > isn't, my apologies.
    >
    > I've been mostly using iPhoto and it works for most of my needs, as I
    > tend to just use it as a photo database. When I want to edit, I hit
    > export and edit in Photoshop.
    >
    > I have a brand new Casio EX-Z850 that works amazingly well for
    > point-and-shoot. The portability of the thing is unmatched, and it's
    > fairly powerful for such a small camera. (I have some example shots if
    > you'd like to see them, BTW)
    >
    > I've just gotten into my head the idea of maybe buying a DSLR camera
    > with RAW enabled. I am trying to decide firstly if it's worthwhile. I'm
    > not a professional, but an enthusiast student who has, quite frankly,
    > not a ton of time to take photos. Despite that, I am really thinking it
    > would be fun to pick photography back up as a hobby.
    >
    > I could easily just take my little camera around with me everywhere,
    > but I tend toward landscapes and the Casio is best for quick portraits.
    > Besides, I've been really itching to take some good macro and wide lens
    > photography.
    >
    > I'm partial to Canon cameras, my first real camera was a Canon... a
    > Rebel 2000, and my father owns a great Canon SLR that I've gotten to
    > play with.
    >
    > I've never used RAW before, but it seems like a fun challenge.
    >
    > Finally, I would want a camera that is very compatible with the Mac OS.
    >
    > Anyway...
    >
    > Is now a good time to buy a DSLR? Should I wait for more cameras to
    > natively support Adobe DNG (if that will happen)? What camera do you
    > suggest I buy? (I am a student so funds aren't infinite, mind you) The
    > Rebel XT looks nice and reviews seem great... what do you guys think?
    > Should I save up for a new camera, or just stick with my little Casio?


    Being a Canon user for a very long time, and now on my fourth Canon
    Digital, I'd say go for the best DSLR you can afford, and save up to buy
    high quality lenses over time.

    The Canon software allows me to shoot tethered on my MacBookPro, and
    from there it's an easy hop into Lightroom or Adobe Bridge, etc.

    Welcome to r.p.d, b.t.w.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 6, 2006
    #4
  5. Alex Kadis

    Alex Kadis Guest

    Thank you all for your help. I guess I have to go to a few stores and
    out some cameras!

    Best,

    Alex
    Alex Kadis, Dec 6, 2006
    #5
  6. Alex Kadis

    Marcin Guest

    Try to play with Canon EOS 350D or 400D or Sony Alpha100.

    Martin
    www.mybestphotos.batcave.net





    Uzytkownik "Alex Kadis" <> napisal w wiadomosci
    news:...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I was told this was the place to ask this sort of question, if it
    > isn't, my apologies.
    >
    > I've been mostly using iPhoto and it works for most of my needs, as I
    > tend to just use it as a photo database. When I want to edit, I hit
    > export and edit in Photoshop.
    >
    > I have a brand new Casio EX-Z850 that works amazingly well for
    > point-and-shoot. The portability of the thing is unmatched, and it's
    > fairly powerful for such a small camera. (I have some example shots if
    > you'd like to see them, BTW)
    >
    > I've just gotten into my head the idea of maybe buying a DSLR camera
    > with RAW enabled. I am trying to decide firstly if it's worthwhile. I'm
    > not a professional, but an enthusiast student who has, quite frankly,
    > not a ton of time to take photos. Despite that, I am really thinking it
    > would be fun to pick photography back up as a hobby.
    >
    > I could easily just take my little camera around with me everywhere,
    > but I tend toward landscapes and the Casio is best for quick portraits.
    > Besides, I've been really itching to take some good macro and wide lens
    > photography.
    >
    > I'm partial to Canon cameras, my first real camera was a Canon... a
    > Rebel 2000, and my father owns a great Canon SLR that I've gotten to
    > play with.
    >
    > I've never used RAW before, but it seems like a fun challenge.
    >
    > Finally, I would want a camera that is very compatible with the Mac OS.
    >
    > Anyway...
    >
    > Is now a good time to buy a DSLR? Should I wait for more cameras to
    > natively support Adobe DNG (if that will happen)? What camera do you
    > suggest I buy? (I am a student so funds aren't infinite, mind you) The
    > Rebel XT looks nice and reviews seem great... what do you guys think?
    > Should I save up for a new camera, or just stick with my little Casio?
    >
    > Thank you for your time.
    >
    Marcin, Dec 6, 2006
    #6
  7. Alex Kadis

    ASAAR Guest

    On 6 Dec 2006 12:00:22 -0800, Alex Kadis wrote:

    > Thank you all for your help. I guess I have to go to a few stores and
    > out some cameras!


    Even if they aren't yet willing to be exposed?

    :)
    ASAAR, Dec 6, 2006
    #7
  8. Alex Kadis

    Bill Guest

    "Marcin" <> wrote in message
    news:el7d9p$lju$...
    > Try to play with Canon EOS 350D or 400D or Sony Alpha100.



    And Pentax K series, as well as Nikon D50, D70s, and D80.
    Bill, Dec 6, 2006
    #8
  9. Alex Kadis

    John Guest

    Re: What camera should I buy? I'm thinking about getting into RAWphotography...

    Alex Kadis wrote:

    [snip]

    If you're an area that rents photo equipment, I'd try renting a camera for a
    few days to see if you like the look-and-feel of the camera & lens. You might
    wind up spending a few hundred dollars in the process but you won't wind up
    with a multi-thousand dollar regret.

    I did that when deciding what size pressure washer to buyer. I kept renting
    bigger and bigger washers until I found the one that worked for me. I still
    have and love that pressure washer 6 years later. I never suffered from
    buyer's remorse.

    As far as "waiting" goes, my wife used to be in commissioned sales. She could
    sell ice cubes to an eskimo and made a lot of money. Anyway, she used to
    tell me these stories about "tweaks". Tweaks are those people that keep
    coming back to the store week after week, year after year to look at the
    merchandise and waiting for the model to improve, or waiting for the next
    "improved" version, the price to drop or any of a number of other reasons.
    One old guy used to check out the same washing machine for years. He
    eventually died without ever buying a washer.

    The salesman in the electronics department used to be driven truly crazy by
    the "tweaks". Customers would forever come in to discuss product details and
    what features the next model was going to have. They liked to discuss
    products rather than buy and enjoy them.

    I'm not saying you're a tweak at all but when you mentioned "should I waiting
    for more cameras...", I thought I mention my wife's stories to give you some
    perspective. I have a Canon 400D and I love it and there are many other very
    good DSLRs. Don't die from old age while waiting for the next better model.
    John, Dec 8, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    WHY?!? Why am i thinking i need an SLR, and thinking of going 35mm?

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Jan 19, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    594
    Greg Campbell
    Feb 13, 2004
  2. Mark M

    Re: Thinking of a Canon 10d, should I wait?

    Mark M, Apr 1, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    294
    Mark M
    Apr 1, 2004
  3. bruce james

    thinking to buy 300d

    bruce james, Mar 4, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    270
    bruce james
    Mar 5, 2005
  4. John Ortt

    Getting into Wedding Photography?

    John Ortt, Aug 19, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    36
    Views:
    777
    John Ortt
    Aug 22, 2005
  5. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Right/Wrong thinking and its impact on photography

    Wayne J. Cosshall, May 27, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    286
    Aaron
    May 29, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page