    anyone advise me on a descent camera in this price range?

    thanks

    Gav

    Gav, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Re: What camera =?iso-8859-1?q?=A3250-350?=

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:30:02 +0100, Gav wrote:

    > I'm looking to buy a digital camera but am unsure which one to get. I'm
    > looking to spend around £250-350. I currently use a 35mm SLR and still plan
    > to use this, but would like to venture into digital photography. I am
    > looking more for picture quality than lots of fancy effects and editing
    > features. Being able to set things manually would be nice too. I've noticed
    > on some cameras there is a considerable delay from pressing the button to
    > the photo being taken, are some better than others in this respect? Can
    > anyone advise me on a descent camera in this price range?

    At the lower end of your range, the Canon A70 might make a good buy. If
    you were willing to spend a bit more, I'd go for the Canon S45, but that's
    probably more like £400. It does give you more options though, and a RAW
    format, and is more suitable for image post-processing on the PC. The A70
    is a great little camera, but best for "straight out of camera" shots.

    HTH,

    Mike.

    Mike Brodbelt, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Gav

    Matt Benson Guest

    Two others to check out are the olympus c4000z or the minolta s414. The
    olympus definitely allows manual setup although manual focusing is reliant
    on the lcd (as far as I can see) which kind of makes life complicated if you
    want to frame using the viewfinder!

    Matt

    Matt Benson, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Gav

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <bfj06q$m2k$>, Gav
    <> writes
    >I'm looking to buy a digital camera but am unsure which one to get. I'm
    >looking to spend around £250-350. I currently use a 35mm SLR and still plan
    >to use this, but would like to venture into digital photography. I am
    >looking more for picture quality than lots of fancy effects and editing
    >features. Being able to set things manually would be nice too. I've noticed
    >on some cameras there is a considerable delay from pressing the button to
    >the photo being taken, are some better than others in this respect? Can
    >anyone advise me on a descent camera in this price range?
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >Gav

    Canon A70.

    I did what you are doing 2 years ago and bought the Canon A20 as a toe-
    in-the-water. (The A20 was the precursor of the A70)

    After about 3 months I sold all my film SLR gear and went digital
    completely (Olympus E10). But the Canon A20 is still what I use most.

    And for interest my nostalgia for film consists of:

    a) I used to take wide-angle, down to 18mm. So now I stitch to make
    panoramas.
    b) I miss the 3:2 aspect ratio. But the solution is the same as (a) if I
    really need it.

    Good luck!

    Bernard Hill
    Selkirk, Scotland