    market. Are there any brands to stay clear or, any that are better than
    others? I need to order a 512MB compactflash card for use in a Canon EOS
    10D (that I just ordered today). Any opinions welcome!
    Beowulf, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Beowulf

    Wes Guest

    I like SimpleTech for quality, but just purchased a Lexar 512 MB CF from
    buy.com for $104 for my Canon S50. It seems at least as fast as the
    SimpleTech and Sans Disks that I already had.

    Wes, Aug 18, 2003

  3. I have had good luck with San Disk media cards. They are widely used
    and rebranded by other camera manufacturers. One 16MB card I own was
    accidently put through a laundry cycle and came back damp but
    readable. A few days afterward, completely dried out, it worked fine.

    Lexar is, I think, the supplier of CF cards to Nikon.

    -David K.

    David Kassnoff, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Beowulf

    NASHvlMIKE Guest

    1) Lexar
    2) Delkin

    if speed is important to you.

    ----------------

    I've heard, however, that the newest Sandisk are quite quick, but my experience
    with the older "ultra" ones were that they were single handedly the worst cards
    I've ever used in terms of speed, so I'm not rushing out to buy the newer ones,
    given my total satisfaction with the Lexar.

    -m
    NASHvlMIKE, Aug 18, 2003
  5. Beowulf

    Vince_Z Guest

    Check out Rob Galbraith's site: http://www.robgalbraith.com
    He's got a database of CF cards he's tested with different cameras.

    Vince_Z, Aug 18, 2003
  6. Beowulf

    Frank ess Guest

    "tim sewell" <> wrote in message

    > "Beowulf" <> wrote in message
    > > I am overwhelmed by the variety of brands of CompactFlash cards on the
    > > market. Are there any brands to stay clear or, any that are better than
    > > others? I need to order a 512MB compactflash card for use in a Canon EOS
    > > 10D (that I just ordered today). Any opinions welcome!

    > Some are much faster than (some) others. That may matter with your 10D.
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
    >
    > Tim S.

    There was a time when I was not convinced the speed of a flash card made
    much difference. Then I spent this past weekend photographing a sports
    event.

    Once I had filled a 512 MB "fast" flash card, I switched to a new (supplied
    free when the original purchase failed to come alive at normal camera
    turn-on) Viking card. The the difference in time-lapse while the
    writing-to-card took place was remarkable, and required compensation in
    timing.

    The faster, the better, my view.

    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Aug 18, 2003
  7. Beowulf

    Frank ess Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message

    > "tim sewell" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Beowulf" <> wrote in message
    > > > I am overwhelmed by the variety of brands of CompactFlash cards on the
    > > > market. Are there any brands to stay clear or, any that are better

    than
    > > > others? I need to order a 512MB compactflash card for use in a Canon

    EOS
    > > > 10D (that I just ordered today). Any opinions welcome!

    > > Some are much faster than (some) others. That may matter with your 10D.
    > > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
    > >
    > > Tim S.
    > >

    > There was a time when I was not convinced the speed of a flash card made
    > much difference. Then I spent this past weekend photographing a sports
    > event.
    >
    > Once I had filled a 512 MB "fast" flash card, I switched to a new

    (supplied
    > free when the original purchase failed to come alive at normal camera
    > turn-on) Viking card. The the difference in time-lapse while the
    > writing-to-card took place was remarkable, and required compensation in
    > timing.
    >
    > The faster, the better, my view.
    >
    > Frank ess

    I neglected to mention: I have no facility for downloading from the cards,
    other than at my own computer. In the evenings, I winnowed the failures as
    best I could, deleting obvious no-way-to-help-them images. I think that
    slowed the write-to-flash time on both cards. I surmise the writing is like
    any other similar process on a disk: the file is split and parts deposited
    on the first available open spot. That gets more and more complex, and drags
    down write performance.

    Things to think about in the field: is it worth it to you to invest in more
    cards in order to avoid fragmentation?

    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Aug 18, 2003
  8. Beowulf

    Jim Polaski Guest

    In article <>,
    Beowulf <> wrote:

    > I am overwhelmed by the variety of brands of CompactFlash cards on the
    > market. Are there any brands to stay clear or, any that are better than
    > others? I need to order a 512MB compactflash card for use in a Canon EOS
    > 10D (that I just ordered today). Any opinions welcome!

    First of all, a microdrive is faster than any of the cards but more
    fragile. The other poster was right about Rob Gailbraith's site and his
    evaluating cards. That said, you should go somewhere like a Wolf's,
    CompUSA,etc., and try a brand of card out. For ex, SimpleTech won't work
    in a Fuji S2. Some cameras only read cards up to a certain size. I have
    a Oly 2500L and it will not use all of a 512 CF card.

    Since you don't have a laptop, you might think about a portable wallet
    which will let you d'l to it and erase the card. They are about 200-250
    and worth the price if you plan on doing a lot of shooting. That way you
    need several cards and the wallet.

    --
    Regards,
    JP

    Macintosh for productivity. Linux for servers. Palm/Visor for mobility. Windows to feed the Black Hole in your IT budget
    Jim Polaski, Aug 19, 2003
  9. Beowulf

    Dave.US Guest

    I'm not familiar with the wallets. Can you post a link?

    Thanks!
    Dave

    Dave.US, Aug 30, 2003