    I am thinking of taking Canon Digital Rebel + 300mm f/4 IS lens to beach.
    What precaution do I need to take? I understand that this, relatively
    speaking bargain lens doesn't have weather sealing. Thanks.

    leo, Jul 6, 2004

  2. leo

    Frank ess Guest

    leo wrote:
    > I am thinking of taking Canon Digital Rebel + 300mm f/4 IS lens to
    > beach. What precaution do I need to take? I understand that this,
    > relatively speaking bargain lens doesn't have weather sealing. Thanks.

    Careful lens-cleaning after.

    I have done a few beach-centered episodes with no deleterious
    consequences to the camera. My ego took a beating because what I thought
    I shot didn't correspond to what was on the CF card when I brought it
    home. Dark day, long lens, fuzzy edges. Sigh.

    My defense against sand was: stay off the sand. I couldn't do that
    completely, but kept the camera at a five-foot or more elevation.

    My defense against sea air was: one Martha Stewart™ dishtowel draped
    over the entire camera whenever it was not in active use. Secured by a
    couple of left-hand fingers and arranged by the right hand, it flipped
    off easily and re-draped without a hitch. I started out with the hems'
    open edge toward the camera and (mostly) continued that orientation.

    --
    Frank ess

    Forecasting is difficult. Particularly about the Future.
    —Deepak Gupta

    Frank ess, Jul 6, 2004

  3. leo

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <gjAGc.3767$>,
    "leo" <> wrote:

    > I am thinking of taking Canon Digital Rebel + 300mm f/4 IS lens to beach.
    > What precaution do I need to take? I understand that this, relatively
    > speaking bargain lens doesn't have weather sealing. Thanks.

    Put a UV or use a polarizing filter.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Jul 6, 2004
  4. leo

    IMKen Guest

    I spend hours at the beach or out in a boat which is where 50% of the
    thousands of photos I take with my D100 come from. I keep a clean towel
    handy to periodically wipe down the camera body. I also have a camel hair
    brush for dusting the body around the lens for frequent lens changes. I
    worry about it and try to be careful but take the risk as I did purchase the
    camera to photograph interesting things. If I were to resist beach
    photography I would not own a camera. My cameras have on occasion had salt
    spray on them and I have carefully wiped them down with the clean towel. So
    far after 1.5 years of use there is no noticeable problem. Blowing sand is
    a big concern but the camel hair brush has helped with removing that. I
    have had the biggest problems keeping the camera clean when photographing
    hot flowing lave that will create great gobs of airborne glass like
    particles capable of seriously damaging lens coatings if not removed before
    cleaning. Keep a protective filter in front of the actual lens glass at all
    times.
    I suspect that eventually there will be some corrosive effects as in my
    older Nikon F's one of which I have used extensively for beach and way out
    diving expeditions for the last 30 years. It still works and looks great
    but a little white corrosion is visible around body screws.

    My advise, use the camera but do take precautions in keeping it dry and
    free of blowing sand. I do place my cameras in a closed Ice Chest with
    ample supplies of silica gel to dry up any missed moisture.

    I have never had trouble with any Nikon lens from growing fungus some are
    over 30 years old, but All my expensive canon lenses failed after a year of
    use do to internal fungus.

    Ken

    IMKen, Jul 6, 2004
  5. leo

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <I am thinking of taking Canon Digital Rebel + 300mm f/4 IS lens to beach.
    What precaution do I need to take?>

    Salt water is probably the #1 camera killer on Earth and dirt/sand is either 2
    or 3. Care is warranted, and keeping your equipment dry is paramount. If you're
    serious about this, an EwaMarine U-AXP flexible housing is a consideration.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com