What are these ports for?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BigMomma, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. BigMomma

    BigMomma Guest

    Just seen an ad for a second hand laptop with the following specs. I am
    unclear regarding some of these ports.

    USB Port

    For USB devices such as memory USBs.

    LPT Port

    I assume, for printer.

    Serial Port

    What would this be for?

    VGA Port

    External monitor (this is a laptop's specs).

    PS2 Port

    External mouse.

    Docking Station Port

    No idea for this one.

    And does this mean the laptop does not have the ability to use a network
    card because there is no mention of a PC Card (PCMCIA) slot?

    TIA.

    BigMomma, Feb 3, 2005

  2. BigMomma

    Trent SC Guest

    > Just seen an ad for a second hand laptop with the following specs. I am
    > unclear regarding some of these ports.
    > USB Port
    > For USB devices such as memory USBs.

    Yes

    > LPT Port
    > I assume, for printer.

    Yes

    > Serial Port
    > What would this be for?

    Poss for older mice, even older modems, or other devices such as PDA docking
    accessories.

    > VGA Port
    > External monitor (this is a laptop's specs).

    Yup

    > PS2 Port
    > External mouse.

    Yup again

    > Docking Station Port
    > No idea for this one.

    Most laptops have a separate docking station, which might live on a desk
    while the laptop is taken around. On my IBM ThinkPad's docking station I
    have additional ports, a fixed power supply, even a built-in DVD drive to
    save weight and space on the lightweight laptop. You might also have an
    external keyboard, mouse & screen attached to the docking station.

    > And does this mean the laptop does not have the ability to use a network
    > card because there is no mention of a PC Card (PCMCIA) slot?

    Depends on the full spec - why don't you post the details. What's the exact
    model number?

    Trent SC, Feb 3, 2005

  3. BigMomma

    Brian Guest

    "BigMomma" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Just seen an ad for a second hand laptop with the following specs. I am
    > unclear regarding some of these ports.
    >

    > USB Port
    >
    > For USB devices such as memory USBs.
    >
    > LPT Port
    >
    > I assume, for printer.
    >
    > Serial Port
    >
    > What would this be for?

    for a mouse, printer, scanner, modem etc.. most devices go for usb nowadays
    though. don't worry too much about it.
    you have usb and serial.. so its a plus anyway if you have older devices.

    > VGA Port
    >
    > External monitor (this is a laptop's specs).
    >
    > PS2 Port
    >
    > External mouse.
    >
    > Docking Station Port
    >
    > No idea for this one.

    a docking station which fits to your laptop. overtaking mouse, power,
    monitor etc. basically you plonk the laptop onto the docking station, close
    the laptop, put it aside and work as if working on a desktop. basically
    meaning all external hardware i.e mouse, monitor, keyboard, power would be
    plugged into the docking station.

    > And does this mean the laptop does not have the ability to use a network
    > card because there is no mention of a PC Card (PCMCIA) slot?

    look for the laptop in google and find its specs or post the model name
    here. if its not *too* old i'm sure it will have built in lan, modem and a
    pcmcia slot.

    Brian, Feb 3, 2005
  4. BigMomma

    BigMomma Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > "BigMomma" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >>Just seen an ad for a second hand laptop with the following specs. I am
    >>unclear regarding some of these ports.
    >>

    >>USB Port
    >>
    >>For USB devices such as memory USBs.
    >>
    >>LPT Port
    >>
    >>I assume, for printer.
    >>
    >>Serial Port
    >>
    >>What would this be for?

    > for a mouse, printer, scanner, modem etc.. most devices go for usb nowadays
    > though. don't worry too much about it.
    > you have usb and serial.. so its a plus anyway if you have older devices.
    >
    >>VGA Port
    >>
    >>External monitor (this is a laptop's specs).
    >>
    >>PS2 Port
    >>
    >>External mouse.
    >>
    >>Docking Station Port
    >>
    >>No idea for this one.

    > a docking station which fits to your laptop. overtaking mouse, power,
    > monitor etc. basically you plonk the laptop onto the docking station, close
    > the laptop, put it aside and work as if working on a desktop. basically
    > meaning all external hardware i.e mouse, monitor, keyboard, power would be
    > plugged into the docking station.
    >

    >>And does this mean the laptop does not have the ability to use a network
    >>card because there is no mention of a PC Card (PCMCIA) slot?

    > look for the laptop in google and find its specs or post the model name
    > here. if its not *too* old i'm sure it will have built in lan, modem and a
    > pcmcia slot.
    >

    >>TIA.

    These are pretty old I think, and the specs are not wonderful:
    http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/ibm-thinkpad_380z_ul1534-u-cheap_laptop-2.htm

    BigMomma, Feb 4, 2005
  5. BigMomma

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "BigMomma" <> wrote in message
    | Brian wrote:
    | > "BigMomma" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    | >
    | >>Just seen an ad for a second hand laptop with the following specs. I am
    | >>unclear regarding some of these ports.

    <snip>

    > look for the laptop in google and find its specs or post the model name

    | > here. if its not *too* old i'm sure it will have built in lan, modem and
    | > pcmcia slot.
    | >

    | >>TIA.
    | >

    | These are pretty old I think, and the specs are not wonderful:
    | http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/ibm-thinkpad_380z_ul1534-u-cheap_laptop-2.htm

    It has two PCMCIA card slots - you can add up to two cards - network card,
    wireless NIC, modem, USB/Firewire, etc.
    http://www.softwareandstuff.com/COM10618.html
    http://computers.blinkenlights.org/tp380z.html

    Toolman Tim, Feb 4, 2005
  6. BigMomma

    Plato Guest

    BigMomma wrote:

    > Just seen an ad for a second hand laptop with the following specs. I am
    > unclear regarding some of these ports.
    >
    > USB Port
    >
    > For USB devices such as memory USBs.

    Printers and just about any new toys these days

    > LPT Port
    >
    > I assume, for printer.

    yep

    > Serial Port
    >
    > What would this be for?

    external modem, mouse

    > VGA Port
    >
    > External monitor (this is a laptop's specs).

    yep

    > PS2 Port
    >
    > External mouse.

    yep

    > Docking Station Port
    >
    > No idea for this one.
    >
    > And does this mean the laptop does not have the ability to use a network
    > card because there is no mention of a PC Card (PCMCIA) slot?

    can use a usb nic or the pcmcia slot(s)

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Feb 4, 2005
  7. The link from IBM
    http://www-132.ibm.com/content/search/380z.html
    Mike

    michael davis, Feb 4, 2005
  8. BigMomma

    Richard Guest

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 22:35:18 +0000 BigMomma wrote:

    > Just seen an ad for a second hand laptop with the following specs. I
    > am
    > unclear regarding some of these ports.

    > USB Port

    > For USB devices such as memory USBs.

    And various other devices such as DVD, CDrom, routers and that.

    > LPT Port

    > I assume, for printer.

    Yep. Line printer port actually.

    > Serial Port

    > What would this be for?

    Various attachments that would not work on USB.

    > VGA Port

    > External monitor (this is a laptop's specs).

    > PS2 Port

    > External mouse.

    > Docking Station Port

    > No idea for this one.

    For connecting your PC to a home computer as an example.

    > And does this mean the laptop does not have the ability to use a
    > network
    > card because there is no mention of a PC Card (PCMCIA) slot?

    Kind of. But you have USB and you can network using USB and routers.
    But then all the PCMCIA slots do is make it easier to access the inside.
    If you feel like opening the case, you might find a couple of open slots
    that would do the same thing.

    Richard, Feb 4, 2005
  9. BigMomma

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:30:17 -0800, "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    >"BigMomma" <> wrote in message
    >| Brian wrote:
    >| > "BigMomma" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    ><snip>
    >
    >> look for the laptop in google and find its specs or post the model name

    >| > here. if its not *too* old i'm sure it will have built in lan, modem and
    >a pcmcia slot.

    And upper case!

    >| These are pretty old I think, and the specs are not wonderful:
    >| http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/ibm-thinkpad_380z_ul1534-u-cheap_laptop-2.htm
    >
    >It has two PCMCIA card slots - you can add up to two cards - network card,
    >wireless NIC, modem, USB/Firewire, etc.
    >http://www.softwareandstuff.com/COM10618.html
    >http://computers.blinkenlights.org/tp380z.html

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Feb 4, 2005
  10. BigMomma

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:30:17 -0800, "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    >"BigMomma" <> wrote in message
    >| Brian wrote:
    >| > "BigMomma" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    ><snip>
    >
    >> look for the laptop in google and find its specs or post the model name

    >| > here. if its not *too* old i'm sure it will have built in lan, modem and
    >| > pcmcia slot.

    >| These are pretty old I think, and the specs are not wonderful:
    >| http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/ibm-thinkpad_380z_ul1534-u-cheap_laptop-2.htm
    >
    >It has two PCMCIA card slots - you can add up to two cards - network card,
    >wireless NIC, modem, USB/Firewire, etc.
    >http://www.softwareandstuff.com/COM10618.html
    >http://computers.blinkenlights.org/tp380z.html

    Its overpriced but it is very light. 0.0 kgs.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Feb 4, 2005
  11. BigMomma

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 05:28:34 GMT, "michael davis" <> wrote:

    >The link from IBM
    >http://www-132.ibm.com/content/search/380z.html
    >Mike

    The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical
    difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

    Barry OGrady, Feb 4, 2005
  12. BigMomma

    Joel Rubin Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Just seen an ad for a second hand laptop with the following specs. I am
    >unclear regarding some of these ports.
    >

    >USB Port
    >
    >For USB devices such as memory USBs.
    >
    >LPT Port
    >
    >I assume, for printer.

    Actually, most new printers use USB ports.

    A few also use LPT or serial ports or have more than one connection.

    Joel Rubin, Feb 4, 2005