What are the Security Implications of Pay Per Mail

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by tedrichardson9925@sbcglobal.net, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Feb 6, 2006

  2. Notan Guest

    wrote:

    > AOL and Yahoo plan to allow businesses to bypass their Spam filters.
    > Will criminal Spam gangs find a way to better target people because of
    > this?

    Does it surprise anyone, that a piece of shit organization like AOL,
    would do something like this, for money?

    I hope not.

    Notan
    Notan, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:55:51 -0700, Notan
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> AOL and Yahoo plan to allow businesses to bypass their Spam filters.
    >> Will criminal Spam gangs find a way to better target people because of
    >> this?

    >Does it surprise anyone, that a piece of shit organization like AOL,
    >would do something like this, for money?

    It surprises me. The main thing both have going for themselves is
    spam filtering.

    I suspect the story is bollocks from someone who does not like
    either company.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 7, 2006
  4. Notan Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:55:51 -0700, Notan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >>
    > >> AOL and Yahoo plan to allow businesses to bypass their Spam filters.
    > >> Will criminal Spam gangs find a way to better target people because of
    > >> this?

    > >Does it surprise anyone, that a piece of shit organization like AOL,
    > >would do something like this, for money?

    > It surprises me. The main thing both have going for themselves is
    > spam filtering.
    >
    > I suspect the story is bollocks from someone who does not like
    > either company.

    While AOL and Yahoo might have *incoming* spam filters,
    they've done nothing to slow the flow of crap originating
    from their users.

    Notan
    Notan, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Vaxius Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:55:51 -0700, Notan wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> AOL and Yahoo plan to allow businesses to bypass their Spam filters.
    >> Will criminal Spam gangs find a way to better target people because of
    >> this?

    > Does it surprise anyone, that a piece of shit organization like AOL,
    > would do something like this, for money?
    >
    > I hope not.
    >
    > Notan

    It's much more likely that companies using these ISPs might want to bypass
    the ISP's spam filters so they can use their own instead. I agree AOL
    sucks, but they wouldn't spend millions suing spammers just to turn around
    and disable their spam filtering for everybody. Not even AOL is that
    retarded.
    Vaxius, Feb 7, 2006
  6. Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 18:10:07 -0700, Notan
    <> wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:55:51 -0700, Notan
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Does it surprise anyone, that a piece of shit organization like AOL,
    >> >would do something like this, for money?

    >> It surprises me. The main thing both have going for themselves is
    >> spam filtering.
    >>
    >> I suspect the story is bollocks from someone who does not like
    >> either company.

    >While AOL and Yahoo might have *incoming* spam filters,
    >they've done nothing to slow the flow of crap originating
    >from their users.

    Dearly beloved I am the son of the late General Ogga Bogga and
    have $ 26m in a cardboard box. I find Yahoo an excellent service
    in looking for monkey business partners.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 7, 2006
  7. Ken Ward Guest

    On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 00:32:58 -0600, Vaxius <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:55:51 -0700, Notan wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> AOL and Yahoo plan to allow businesses to bypass their Spam filters.
    >>> Will criminal Spam gangs find a way to better target people because of
    >>> this?

    >> Does it surprise anyone, that a piece of shit organization like AOL,
    >> would do something like this, for money?
    >>
    >> I hope not.
    >>
    >> Notan

    >It's much more likely that companies using these ISPs might want to bypass
    >the ISP's spam filters so they can use their own instead. I agree AOL
    >sucks, but they wouldn't spend millions suing spammers just to turn around
    >and disable their spam filtering for everybody. Not even AOL is that
    >retarded.

    It's not??!!
    Ken Ward, Feb 7, 2006
  8. Moe Trin Guest

    On Tue, 07 Feb 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <>, Ken Ward wrote:

    >Vaxius wrote:

    >>Notan wrote:

    It's not totally impossible, but AOL would likely make every effort to
    resist the (non-paying) spam gangs.

    >>> Does it surprise anyone, that a piece of shit organization like AOL,
    >>> would do something like this, for money?
    >>>
    >>> I hope not.

    ALL companies are in business to make money. If you think otherwise, you're
    the one with a problem.

    >>It's much more likely that companies using these ISPs might want to bypass
    >>the ISP's spam filters so they can use their own instead.

    I'm not sure of that. I believe it's so that they can do their (bulk)
    mailing without being caught in the corporate level filters. Those very
    few AOL users who have the faintest concept of a clue are going to have
    their own filters behind the corporate filter, and my understanding is that
    this program will not be allowed to bypass the "personal" filters.

    >>I agree AOL sucks, but they wouldn't spend millions suing spammers just
    >>to turn around and disable their spam filtering for everybody. Not even
    >>AOL is that retarded.

    Especially as this "feature" (spam filters) is a significant advertising
    point AOL is hammering on in their TV ads (and perhaps elsewhere - I've
    got an eyeball filter that blocks AOL printed ads).

    >It's not??!!

    No, AOL isn't retarded - it's the _customers_ of AOL that have that
    problem. I really don't know know which is worse - AOL, Juno, or webtv.

    Old guy
    Moe Trin, Feb 7, 2006