    Satellite? If so, who are the various providers of that service?

    Many thanks

    Rimu
    Rimu, Sep 4, 2005

  2. Rimu

    Jeremy Guest

    Rimu wrote:
    > So we're in the middle of nowhere (near te puke, in the bay of plenty).
    > Can't get DSL (too far from the exchange), no cable, wireless doesn't
    > work (hills).... What are the options?
    >
    > Satellite? If so, who are the various providers of that service?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Rimu

    Try,

    www.bordernet.co.nz

    They took over the Ihug sat service,

    http://www.bordernet.co.nz/isat_serv.htm

    I used them for a month till I got adsl installed before that I had 5
    years of Satellite internet pre August with Ihug, which beats dial up by
    miles, no good for gaming but great for brousing web pages and the
    occasional download.

    Hope that helps

    Jeremy
    Jeremy, Sep 4, 2005

  3. On 4 Sep 2005 01:16:22 -0700, Rimu wrote:

    > So we're in the middle of nowhere (near te puke, in the bay of plenty).
    > Can't get DSL (too far from the exchange), no cable, wireless doesn't
    > work (hills).... What are the options?
    >
    > Satellite? If so, who are the various providers of that service?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Rimu

    It is possible to get Telecom to upgrade the roadside cabinet in your area
    to allow ADSL even if too far from an actual exchange.

    Depends exactly how far way you are.. > 20 km ??
    wogers nemesis, Sep 4, 2005
  4. Rimu

    steve Guest

    Rimu wrote:

    > So we're in the middle of nowhere (near te puke, in the bay of plenty).
    > Can't get DSL (too far from the exchange), no cable, wireless doesn't
    > work (hills).... What are the options?

    Satellite down and dial-up upward.....and it ain't cheap.

    ICONZ have an offering....and IHUG.

    Looks expensive ($2,000 OTC for equipment and $1,100 for the install, then
    $120/month for 10GB of data and then + 8c / MB for excess data)

    The monthly charges are probably bearable if you REALLY want to go
    fast....but the $3,100 - $4,000 OTCs would require serious desire.
    steve, Sep 4, 2005
  5. Rimu

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:55:51 +1200, steve
    <> wrote:

    >Rimu wrote:
    >
    >> So we're in the middle of nowhere (near te puke, in the bay of plenty).
    >> Can't get DSL (too far from the exchange), no cable, wireless doesn't
    >> work (hills).... What are the options?

    >Satellite down and dial-up upward.....and it ain't cheap.
    >
    >ICONZ have an offering....and IHUG.
    >
    >Looks expensive ($2,000 OTC for equipment and $1,100 for the install, then
    >$120/month for 10GB of data and then + 8c / MB for excess data)
    >
    >The monthly charges are probably bearable if you REALLY want to go
    >fast....but the $3,100 - $4,000 OTCs would require serious desire.

    The one that was ihug is under $300 for the equipment.
    Craig Shore, Sep 4, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > Rimu wrote:
    >
    > > So we're in the middle of nowhere (near te puke, in the bay of plenty).
    > > Can't get DSL (too far from the exchange), no cable, wireless doesn't
    > > work (hills).... What are the options?

    > Satellite down and dial-up upward.....and it ain't cheap.
    >
    > ICONZ have an offering....and IHUG.
    >
    > Looks expensive ($2,000 OTC for equipment and $1,100 for the install, then
    > $120/month for 10GB of data and then + 8c / MB for excess data)
    >
    > The monthly charges are probably bearable if you REALLY want to go
    > fast....but the $3,100 - $4,000 OTCs would require serious desire.

    Satellite plans with Bordernet start at 30 bucks a month with a download
    speed of 256 kb and 500 Mb data allowance, goes up to 50 bucks for the
    same speed and 2 Gb data, 63 bucks i.i.r.c. for 3 Gb data and double the
    speed (512 kb). Not sure how much for installation since I am an
    existing (ex-Ihug) customer.

    I've just been asked to change my old Ihug plan to one of the new ones
    and I am not too happy, either I take a performance hit and get it
    cheaper, or I get to spend more. Sadly there are issues with the
    bordernet software that have me scratching my head as to what I want to
    do (e.g. p2p and ftp seem uncertain over the satellite connect which
    makes a higher data allowance pointless in the first place).
    Unfortunately the helpdesk and documentation on the website are next to
    useless.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Sep 4, 2005
  7. Rimu

    Rimu Guest

    hmm.

    looks like pretty steep setup costs, but ok monthly costs once you get
    started...

    thanks guys!

    Rimu, Sep 4, 2005
  8. Rimu

    Shane Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:58:22 -0700, Rimu wrote:

    > hmm.
    >
    > looks like pretty steep setup costs, but ok monthly costs once you get
    > started...
    >
    > thanks guys!

    Heya rimu,
    where in the te puke area?
    because there are a couple of wireless providers in Tauranga, not sure of
    their coverage though,
    http://www.eol.co.nz/
    http://www.netsmart.co.nz/wireless/index.cfm

    Shane, Sep 4, 2005
  9. Rimu wrote:
    > So we're in the middle of nowhere (near te puke, in the bay of plenty).
    > Can't get DSL (too far from the exchange), no cable, wireless doesn't
    > work (hills).... What are the options?
    >
    > Satellite? If so, who are the various providers of that service?

    T3G? 3g from vodafone?

    I guess you could put a wifi dsl modem closer to the exchange(at the
    pub?) and connect to that?

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 5, 2005