What are the new telecom plans?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by whome, Sep 26, 2006.

  1. whome

    whome Guest

    whome, Sep 26, 2006

  2. >
    > The plans on these sites are quite different. I'd trust the xtra website
    > more, but I wonder where computerworld sourced their information?

    The plans on the computerworld site are prices for Wholesale WBS, the Prices
    on Xtra site are the Xtra Retail plans based on them.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Sep 26, 2006

  3. whome

    whome Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message

    >> The plans on these sites are quite different. I'd trust the xtra
    >> website more, but I wonder where computerworld sourced their information?

    > The plans on the computerworld site are prices for Wholesale WBS, the
    > Prices on Xtra site are the Xtra Retail plans based on them.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig

    Ah, helps to read properly:)

    This makes the new xtra plans look even worse.

    I think I will stay on the xtra adventurer plan, they say it will be
    grandfathered meaning I can retain this I assume.

    whome, Sep 26, 2006
  4. whome

    Vista Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message

    > "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >>> The plans on these sites are quite different. I'd trust the xtra
    >>> website more, but I wonder where computerworld sourced their
    >>> information?

    >> The plans on the computerworld site are prices for Wholesale WBS, the
    >> Prices on Xtra site are the Xtra Retail plans based on them.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Craig
    >>

    > Ah, helps to read properly:)
    >
    > This makes the new xtra plans look even worse.
    >
    > I think I will stay on the xtra adventurer plan, they say it will be
    > grandfathered meaning I can retain this I assume.

    Actually they look pretty good to me. I hope slingshot better their plans to
    match these.

    Vista, Sep 26, 2006
  5. whome

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:24:58 +1200, whome wrote:

    > I'm confused. There are 2 websites with different xtra plans so what are the
    > correct plans?
    >
    > We have..
    >
    > http://xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed/plans_table.html

    FFS, any spare weapons and people need to head off to a new battle front.
    It is at the 128kbps max upload speed.

    As people have pointed out recently this will in effect resrict the
    download speed to 4MB/s as the ack packets can not get away faster enough
    for higher speed downloading.

    So we can have full speed in both directions and a cap at our feet.

    Yeah, the snail of progess has just disappeared from view.

    Churn people from Telecom, it is our hope of catching up with the snail
    ahead and being insight of the tortise on the distant horizon.

    Gordon, Sep 26, 2006
  6. whome

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message
    > I'm confused. There are 2 websites with different xtra plans so what are
    > the correct plans?
    >
    > We have..
    >
    > http://xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed/plans_table.html

    I have looked at that excuse me but where is the broadband?????????
    128k upload speed isn't broadband

    Craig Sutton, Sep 26, 2006
  7. whome

    MarkH Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in

    > "whome" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm confused. There are 2 websites with different xtra plans so what
    >> are the correct plans?
    >>
    >> We have..
    >>
    >> http://xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed/plans_table.html
    >>

    > I have looked at that excuse me but where is the broadband?????????
    > 128k upload speed isn't broadband

    Then look closer! There are 7 plans listed and 4 of them have "max" speed
    up.

    I 100% agree that 128k is not broadband and I don't think that it matches
    well with "max" download speed. Up to 8Mbit down with 128kbit up is
    feckin' ridiculous!

    One thing that many wish Xtra would offer is a choice on the top plans of
    capped speed after hitting your data limit for the month. 2c/MB = $20/GB
    this is a complete ripoff! Orcon charge $10/5GB = $2/GB so Xtra are
    charging 10x the overage rate of Orcon and others, in fact some others
    charge less than Orcon for overage.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Sep 27, 2006
  8. whome

    Mark C Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in

    > As people have pointed out recently this will in effect resrict
    > the download speed to 4MB/s as the ack packets can not get away
    > faster enough for higher speed downloading.

    Windows implements RFC1122 Delayed ACKs, so usually, only every
    second segment is acknowledged, so you could *in theory* get
    9.0mbits/s download from a 128 upload.

    In Windows XP (apparently) you can tweak the ACKs to be only every
    third, or fourth segment. See this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328890/

    In practice I don't know if >4MBps is possible, but I have read
    reports of people getting 4MBps while only reporting 8kB/s of ACK
    uploads... He said he expected he would be able to get 7MBps with
    16kB/s of ACKs.

    Mark

    Mark C, Sep 27, 2006
  9. whome

    Nig Guest

    In article <1159244894.916173@ftpsrv1>, "Vista" <>
    wrote:

    > "whome" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message

    > >> The plans on the computerworld site are prices for Wholesale WBS, the
    > >> Prices on Xtra site are the Xtra Retail plans based on them.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Craig
    > >>

    > > Ah, helps to read properly:)
    > >
    > > This makes the new xtra plans look even worse.
    > >
    > > I think I will stay on the xtra adventurer plan, they say it will be
    > > grandfathered meaning I can retain this I assume.
    > >

    > Actually they look pretty good to me. I hope slingshot better their plans to
    > match these.

    They're stuck in the same rut, because apart from the privileged(?) few
    with Saturn cable, we all have a length of Telescum wire between us and
    the reast of the world.

    iHug offer speeds "up to XYZKbps", with no guarantee you will get the
    maximum speed. Ever. They might as well offer 100Gbps since we can't
    reach that either. Comparable to Countdown selling apples in bags of "up
    to 1kg".

    --
    Nigel

    Nig, Sep 27, 2006
  10. whome

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <>,
    Nig <> wrote:

    > iHug offer speeds "up to XYZKbps", with no guarantee you will get the
    > maximum speed. Ever. They might as well offer 100Gbps since we can't
    > reach that either. Comparable to Countdown selling apples in bags of "up
    > to 1kg".

    Incorrect. The speed available is dependant not only on YOUR end but the
    site you are visiting as well as how much traffic there is etc.

    Its more like care manufacturers stating up to so many miles/gallon (or
    l/100km for the younger ones). Hence the term, your milage may vary !

    Who Am I, Sep 29, 2006