    cowboyz Guest

    Is there a min spec for a DVD to be classed as a DVD or is a DVD simply the
    medium and any video file on it is classed as a DVD?

    cowboyz, Jun 8, 2004

  2. cowboyz

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:14:54 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > Is there a min spec for a DVD to be classed as a DVD or is a DVD simply the
    > medium and any video file on it is classed as a DVD?

    A DVD is the medium - the physical disc. It may have any digital material
    on it - video, audio, data - anything.

    Divine

    --
    Benjamin Franklin: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
    little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

    Divine, Jun 8, 2004

  3. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:14:54 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a min spec for a DVD to be classed as a DVD or is a DVD
    >> simply the medium and any video file on it is classed as a DVD?

    > A DVD is the medium - the physical disc. It may have any digital
    > material on it - video, audio, data - anything.
    >

    > Divine

    I make this a little more complicated. If I burn DIVX file onto a DVD it
    will not be considered a DVD will it? The pedantic who want to argue can
    follow their own side thread. I am interested at what standard, if any, a
    video has to be encoded at to be a DVD quality video. Like a VCD *has* to
    be 352x288 and a SVCD *has* to be 480x576 or it falls out of spec. Actually
    now I think of it can't you enocde a VCD at 352x288 @ 800k/s or 352x288 @
    2100k/s (or whatever bitrate you want?) I can't remember.. been a while
    since I made one.

    cowboyz, Jun 8, 2004
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > Divine wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:14:54 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a min spec for a DVD to be classed as a DVD or is a DVD
    >>> simply the medium and any video file on it is classed as a DVD?

    >> A DVD is the medium - the physical disc. It may have any digital
    >> material on it - video, audio, data - anything.
    >>

    >> Divine

    > I make this a little more complicated. If I burn DIVX file onto a
    > DVD it will not be considered a DVD will it? The pedantic who want
    > to argue can follow their own side thread. I am interested at what
    > standard, if any, a video has to be encoded at to be a DVD quality
    > video. Like a VCD *has* to be 352x288 and a SVCD *has* to be 480x576
    > or it falls out of spec. Actually now I think of it can't you enocde
    > a VCD at 352x288 @ 800k/s or 352x288 @ 2100k/s (or whatever bitrate
    > you want?) I can't remember.. been a while since I made one.

    ok. I found this.

    http://stream.uen.org/medsol/dvd/pages/dvd_format_video4DVDvideo.html

    it says the max data rate is 9.8Mbps but no minimum.

    cowboyz, Jun 8, 2004
  5. cowboyz

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 19:13:38 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > If I burn DIVX file onto a DVD it
    > will not be considered a DVD will it?

    It would be a DVD with a DivX file burned onto it.

    But I presume you're speaking of DVDs which are designed to be played in
    consumer DVD players.

    The resolution must be here in NZ a full PAL signal at full resolution for
    it to be considered a "DVD". That's so many megabits/s.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."

    Divine, Jun 8, 2004
  6. cowboyz

    Tim Guest

    ok so u did his google search for him...

    man, some people...

    Tim, Jun 8, 2004
  7. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > ok so u did his google search for him...
    >
    > man, some people...

    <text moved to where it should have been typed in the first place>

    What are you on about. I did the search for myself and posted what I found
    which still doesn't answer my original question.

    cowboyz, Jun 8, 2004
  8. cowboyz

    Tim Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    >> "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    >>> ok. I found this.
    >>>
    >>> http://stream.uen.org/medsol/dvd/pages/dvd_format_video4DVDvideo.html
    >>>
    >>> it says the max data rate is 9.8Mbps but no minimum.

    > Tim wrote:
    >> ok so u did his google search for him...
    >>
    >> man, some people...
    >>

    > <text moved to where it should have been typed in the first place>
    >
    > What are you on about. I did the search for myself and posted what I
    > found
    > which still doesn't answer my original question.

    haha ok fair enuf. i'll try to keep both eyes open next time <wink> <wink>

    Tim, Jun 8, 2004
  9. cowboyz

    Rupert Guest

    DVD merely stands for Digital Versitile Disk, which can be used for any
    purpose. When a DVD disk is used for video it is labelled DVD Video.

    This link may be of interest....

    http://theboost.net/dvd/standart.htm

    Rupert, Jun 8, 2004
  10. Divine <> claimed:

    > The resolution must be here in NZ a full PAL signal at full resolution for
    > it to be considered a "DVD". That's so many megabits/s.

    That's where my money goes too.
    720x576, 25fps, mp2, up to (~9mbps ave, ~13mbps max burst??)

    J.Random Luser, Jun 8, 2004
  11. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Rupert wrote:
    > DVD merely stands for Digital Versitile Disk, which can be used for
    > any purpose. When a DVD disk is used for video it is labelled DVD
    > Video.
    >
    > This link may be of interest....
    >
    > http://theboost.net/dvd/standart.htm

    yep, and again. There appears to be no min bitrate required to class a DVD
    movie to be DVD quailty. Doesn't CD have to be 172k/s bitrate to be classed
    as CD Quality even though you can get lower bitrate on CD? I am not sure
    where that figure came from but I have always had it in the back of my mind
    somewhere.

    I may well be using the wrong terms here when saying "DVD" but by "DVD" I
    mean a production movie/film released for sale for private viewing that
    comes on a DVD that can be played by the machines that we commonenly call
    DVD players. So in theroy someone could encode a video at 100k/s and look
    like crap and still release it as a DVD.

    cowboyz, Jun 8, 2004
  12. The DVD you purchase will be made to fit. Depending on the length and
    complexity of the movie the compression rate will be adjusted to fit the
    DVD.

    Remember movies before they are compressed are huge... 100's if not 1000's
    of GB.... (TB)

    So I dont think there would be any minumum compression standard.

    Matthew Strickland, Jun 9, 2004
  13. "cowboyz" mused:
    > Doesn't CD have to be 172k/s bitrate to be classed
    > as CD Quality even though you can get lower bitrate on CD?

    Ah, now CDs have their "books", Red, Orange, Yellow, White, ...

    A "normal" audio CD is Red book, and bit rate is firmly fixed at
    44.1khz x 16 bits/sample x 2 channels x some error correction overhead
    ~= 184KBytes/s user data rate

    By the time you frame it up and modulate it the bit rate on & off the
    disc is 4.32Mbits/s

    J.Random Luser, Jun 9, 2004
  14. cowboyz

    Divine Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:48:03 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > yep, and again. There appears to be no min bitrate required to class a
    > DVD movie to be DVD quailty. Doesn't CD have to be 172k/s bitrate to be
    > classed as CD Quality even though you can get lower bitrate on CD? I am
    > not sure where that figure came from but I have always had it in the
    > back of my mind somewhere.

    For "CD-quality" audio you require 44100 * 16bit samples every second.

    That's 44100 * 16 = 705600 bits every second.

    That's 88200 bytes/second or 86.13k/s

    I have no idea where you get your 172k/s rate for "CD quality".

    CD quality is an audio standard.

    Divine

    Divine, Jun 9, 2004
  15. cowboyz

    Divine Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:48:03 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > So in theroy someone could encode a video at 100k/s and look
    > like crap and still release it as a DVD.

    Release it they may - buy it people won't.

    Divine

    --
    Niels Bohr: "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But
    the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."

    Divine, Jun 9, 2004
  16. On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:14:54 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >Is there a min spec for a DVD to be classed as a DVD or is a DVD simply the
    >medium and any video file on it is classed as a DVD?

    Have a look at:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd

    All the commercial DVDs I have looked at (not too many) are constant
    bit rate MPEG-2 in the range 6-8 Mbits/s. Variable bit rate seems to
    be allowed by the specs, but I have never seen it on a pressed DVD -
    presumably the older DVD players would have trouble decompressing too
    high a VBR rate, due to lack of CPU. Mine is happy with a maximum
    setting of 2400 kbits/s VBR for creating files (average 1150 kbits/s),
    but gets sick if I go much higher than that.

    Stephen Worthington, Jun 9, 2004
  17. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:48:03 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> yep, and again. There appears to be no min bitrate required to
    >> class a DVD movie to be DVD quailty. Doesn't CD have to be 172k/s
    >> bitrate to be classed as CD Quality even though you can get lower
    >> bitrate on CD? I am not sure where that figure came from but I have
    >> always had it in the back of my mind somewhere.

    > For "CD-quality" audio you require 44100 * 16bit samples every second.
    >
    > That's 44100 * 16 = 705600 bits every second.
    >
    > That's 88200 bytes/second or 86.13k/s
    >
    > I have no idea where you get your 172k/s rate for "CD quality".

    Me neither but even if it is 86.13k/s then it is still a minimum standard
    which I am surprised DVD video doesn't appear to have

    cowboyz, Jun 9, 2004
  18. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    J.Random Luser wrote:
    > "cowboyz" mused:
    >> Doesn't CD have to be 172k/s bitrate to be classed
    >> as CD Quality even though you can get lower bitrate on CD?

    > Ah, now CDs have their "books", Red, Orange, Yellow, White, ...
    >
    > A "normal" audio CD is Red book, and bit rate is firmly fixed at
    > 44.1khz x 16 bits/sample x 2 channels x some error correction overhead
    > ~= 184KBytes/s user data rate
    >
    > By the time you frame it up and modulate it the bit rate on & off the
    > disc is 4.32Mbits/s

    ok. Now do DVD video has "books" or standards?

    cowboyz, Jun 9, 2004
  19. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:14:54 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a min spec for a DVD to be classed as a DVD or is a DVD
    >> simply the medium and any video file on it is classed as a DVD?

    > Have a look at:
    > http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd
    >
    > All the commercial DVDs I have looked at (not too many) are constant
    > bit rate MPEG-2 in the range 6-8 Mbits/s. Variable bit rate seems to
    > be allowed by the specs, but I have never seen it on a pressed DVD -
    > presumably the older DVD players would have trouble decompressing too
    > high a VBR rate, due to lack of CPU. Mine is happy with a maximum
    > setting of 2400 kbits/s VBR for creating files (average 1150 kbits/s),
    > but gets sick if I go much higher than that.

    VBR of 1150 avg sounds like a VCD. SVCD if your lucky and even then it will
    be pretty poor. I don't allow my SVCDs to get below 2000kbits/sec. I am
    now capturing (which will end up DVD video) at 6100kbit/s and it is very
    pretty.

    cowboyz, Jun 9, 2004
  20. In article <pan.2004.06.09.06.56.51.448715@TRACKER>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:48:03 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > > yep, and again. There appears to be no min bitrate required to class a
    > > DVD movie to be DVD quailty. Doesn't CD have to be 172k/s bitrate to be
    > > classed as CD Quality even though you can get lower bitrate on CD? I am
    > > not sure where that figure came from but I have always had it in the
    > > back of my mind somewhere.

    > For "CD-quality" audio you require 44100 * 16bit samples every second.
    >
    > That's 44100 * 16 = 705600 bits every second.
    >
    > That's 88200 bytes/second or 86.13k/s
    >
    > I have no idea where you get your 172k/s rate for "CD quality".

    2 channels = stereo

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 9, 2004