  1. MK

    MK Guest

    what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    MK, Nov 20, 2004

  2. MK

    DC Guest

    MK wrote:
    > what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    > begin 666 Gamma Trading.vcf

    [snip]

    Please do not post binaries to text groups.
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/nobin.html

    As to your question, see here:
    http://www.newsreaders.com

    My recommendation: Xnews

    http://xnews.newsguy.com

    General Xnews Help:
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/manual.html
    http://www.geocities.com/d4vidb
    http://www.seegras.de/xnews

    Xnews and binaries:
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/sizer/
    http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/otr/xnewsbin.html
    http://www.help4newbies.fsnet.co.uk/xnews_page_1.htm

    HTH

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
    -- Neil Peart

    DC, Nov 20, 2004

  3. MK

    Scraggy Guest

    MK wrote:
    > what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    Reading newspapers/sending letters to the editor.
    HTH
    --
    The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to
    arm bears. -- Chris Addison

    Scraggy, Nov 20, 2004
  4. MK

    Old Gringo Guest

    MK wrote:
    > what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    Going to the Movies, Reading a good book, Watching TV. Getting drunk.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Nov 20, 2004
  5. MK

    Ionizer Guest

    "MK" <> wrote in message
    > what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    Outlook Express is just fine for text-based groups such as this one, where
    people DO NOT post binaries files(!!!) For the binaries newsgroups, Xnews
    is a great, free newsreader: http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Nov 20, 2004
  6. MK

    WormWood Guest

    "MK" <> wrote in message
    > what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    Studying Ballet, participating in Rodeo Events, getting laid.

    WormWood, Nov 20, 2004
  7. MK

    dadiOH Guest

    MK wrote:
    > what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    postal service
    telephone
    telegram
    shouting really loud

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Nov 20, 2004
  8. MK

    Ionizer Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    > MK wrote:
    > > what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    > postal service
    > telephone
    > telegram
    > shouting really loud

    Your third suggestion dates you almost as much as if you had included
    Morse Code on the list.

    Regards,
    ... .- -.

    Ionizer, Nov 20, 2004
  9. MK

    WormWood Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    >> MK wrote:
    >> > what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    >> postal service
    >> telephone
    >> telegram
    >> shouting really loud

    > Your third suggestion dates you almost as much as if you had included
    > Morse Code on the list.
    >
    > Regards,
    > .. .- -.

    Smoke Signals
    Semaphores
    Drums
    Two cans with tops off, two roofing nails and string.

    WormWood, Nov 20, 2004
  10. MK

    dadiOH Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    >> MK wrote:
    >>> what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    >> postal service
    >> telephone
    >> telegram
    >> shouting really loud

    > Your third suggestion dates you almost as much as if you had
    > included Morse Code on the list.

    I thought about including it but not many people have a key anymore.
    Besides, I left off tom toms :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Nov 20, 2004
  11. Ionizer wrote:
    > "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    >> MK wrote:
    >> > what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    >> postal service
    >> telephone
    >> telegram
    >> shouting really loud

    > Your third suggestion dates you almost as much as if you had included
    > Morse Code on the list.

    > Regards,
    > .. .- -.

    ... / ... . -. - / .- / - . .-.. . --. .-. .- -- / --- -. -.-. . .-.-.-
    / - .... .- - / .-- .- ... / .. -. / .---- ----. --... --... .-.-.-

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue -- Beat Ohio State

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 20, 2004
  12. MK

    trout Guest

    MK wrote:

    > what are the alternatives for reading/posting on newsgroups?

    About the binaries.... specifically, go to Tools; Options; Compose
    tab, and uncheck the "News" box under "Include my business card....".
    --
    "At least, when posting to a 'plain-text' group."

    trout, Nov 20, 2004
  13. MK

    Ionizer Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > .. / ... . -. - / .- / - . .-.. . --. .-. .- -- / --- -. -.-. . .-.-.-
    > / - .... .- - / .-- .- ... / .. -. / .---- ----. --... --... .-.-.-

    I've never sent one, but did receive one from relatives overseas on my
    21st birthday- that would have been 1980. My folks saved it for me and
    it's still in their archives somewhere.

    It took me about fifteen minutes to figure out what you just said- how
    long did it take to compose?

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Nov 21, 2004
  14. Ionizer wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> .. / ... . -. - / .- / - . .-.. . --. .-. .- -- / --- -. -.-. . .-.-.-
    >> / - .... .- - / .-- .- ... / .. -. / .---- ----. --... --... .-.-.-

    > I've never sent one, but did receive one from relatives overseas on my
    > 21st birthday- that would have been 1980. My folks saved it for me and
    > it's still in their archives somewhere.

    > It took me about fifteen minutes to figure out what you just said- how
    > long did it take to compose?

    A few seconds. ;)

    http://www.scphillips.com/morse/index.html

    --